Thread: Dealer sold used M240i without Catalytic Converter...

My Cars
    2017 240i

Dealer sold used M240i without Catalytic Converter...

Dear All:

I have just moved to the US from the UK. I purchased a 2017 240i from BMW of Rockville MD from abroad, thinking a dealer would be safer to purchase from sight unseen (we needed a car right away but this was clearly a mistake/was stupid!).

Within a week, on a trip to Columbus OH to see my wife's family, the yellow emissions light came on steady and the engine was running rough. We took the car to BMW of Dublin who inspected it. They found an internal valve leak but more importantly discovered a leaking after market exhaust system with no catalytic converter.

After some research, we found that it is illegal (in federal and MD law) for a dealer to sell a car with an exhaust system that has been tampered with or one without a catalytic converter. (https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Ai...Tampering.aspx). It is also of course illegal for me to sell the car.

A twist is that I thought I was buying a BMW certified pre owned car--because it was sold within a BMW dealership--but in fact it is an AutoNation warranty/used car franchise. When you walk into BMW of Rockville you would not know this, although of course now it is obvious.

We will now take the car back to BMW of Rockville and are working out what to do about this. I wanted to share this tale of woe (and bad decision making on my part) with everyone and get reactions and advice.

Thanks in advance
    Tarak25

My Cars
    bmw m440IX conv
    apparently you caught the dealer, knowingly or not, selling the car without proper exhaust, It looks like, if you understand the law correctly, the dealer will make it right when you get back to them , Sorry to see your first transaction went so poorly in the states hope you meet a better class of people in coming months we are not all creeps!!

My Cars
    2017 240i
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    apparently you caught the dealer, knowingly or not, selling the car without proper exhaust, It looks like, if you understand the law correctly, the dealer will make it right when you get back to them , Sorry to see your first transaction went so poorly in the states hope you meet a better class of people in coming months we are not all creeps!!
    Many thanks Mazzy--there are creeps and good people everywhere! The dealer is going to give me a full refund although is not admitting wrongdoing.