Thread: 1981 e23 733iA buying help

My Cars
    2000 Buick Lesabre

1981 e23 733iA buying help

Hello, I am a new member. I was in the market for a manual 535i e28 this summer but didn't manage to find a good one in my province. That said, I found a beautiful 1981 733iA a week ago and the car grew on me. I called the seller and he had the car for 6 years, only putting 600 miles on it per year and he is selling it because he has too many Mercedes and BMWs. It seems that he took good care of it and I am going to go see it tomorrow.

My question is, what should I look out for ? And is buying an e23 even worth it considering the much smaller availability of parts (compared to e28) and because of the HVAC issues ? If someone has experiences with e23s and e28s, could you tell me if I should just wait longer to find an e28 next summer and give me more insight about what I should expect from both ? I will drive it 2000-3000 miles per year, May-October, mostly city driving with probably one <800 mile road trip per summer. Because of the low mileage I will be putting on them, maintenance cost won't be an issue for me with either car.

Thank you very much and here are some pics of it (the seller sent me extra pics of the interior and it looks better than the post) https://imgur.com/a/U7oDWHV

My Cars
    2000 Buick Lesabre

1981 733iA buying help / advice needed

Hello, I am a new forum member sorry if this will get posted twice as I received a popup on my first try but didn't have time to read it.

I was in the market for a manual e28 535i this summer and unfortunately I didn't find one in my area that matched what I was searching for. That said, I did find a week or so ago a 1981 733iA in light blue and it grew on me since. I talked with the seller and it seems he has maintained it well and is selling it because he has too many Mercedes and BMWs. The interior doesn't seem to be in perfect shape but it still looks good for a 41 year old car.

I am going to go see it tomorrow and I would like some help with what I should specifically look out for. I can't seem to find much info about them online as the community surrounding these cars is much smaller than say an e28. I first considered an e28 because I will be driving it 3000 miles per year May-October, mostly city driving but with an annual road trip of 800 miles or less. I need it to be comfortable because I will be driving my friends / family often in it, but also sportier than my Buick Lesabre for fun. I love the look of the sharknoses which is why I am also considering the e23, but if anyone has any insight to give about either one of them, I will appreciate it because part of me wants to wait for an e28 but part of me wants to get this one because I will have the money for an e28 too next summer, but practically I don't have the need for two fun cars. Thanks !