Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Should I clay or not.

My Cars
    2004 M3 AA, 2002 Z3

Should I clay or not.

Quick background.
    I bought a Z3 that was stored for ten years and before that, it belonged to an elderly couple that hardly drove it.
    Is is an “SE” spec and has all the right bits and pieces that a true car enthusiast would ask while ordering his car (bbs wheels, heated seats, lsd, sport suspension etc).
    The Z appears to be in an excellent condition and I was told that it was only driven in sunny weather and the mileage is a good proof of that claim.
    Looking at the paint (titan silver) it appears that it has no swirls or other blemishes (even checked with a neon light) and the previous owner took very good care of it.
    Paint reads even on all panels and in some places under the hood I can even see the protective wax from the factory.
    My issue is that after a thorough wash of the car and close inspection, the paint feels a little rough and in some places (like the doors) you can even hear it “scratching” when you pass the back of your hand over it.
    I know that a pro would give me some better advice just by looking at it, but I would also like some input from you guys.
    I really want this car to stay in perfect shape and never buff it.
    If I just clay the entire car, do I also have to polish afterwards or just claying will do the trick without leaving any scratches or marks to the paint?
    Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2004 M3 AA, 2002 Z3
    Finally after all these years figured out how to upload photos!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder View Post
    Quick background.

My issue is that after a thorough wash of the car and close inspection, the paint feels a little rough and in some places (like the doors) you can even hear it “scratching” when you pass the back of your hand over it.
    There's your answer. If you clay the paint, that roughness will go away.

Do not be afraid of the process. Just use plenty of lube. Claying takes very little time.

My Cars
    2004 M3 AA, 2002 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    There's your answer. If you clay the paint, that roughness will go away.

Do not be afraid of the process. Just use plenty of lube. Claying takes very little time.
    but will it need polishing after that?
    I have read that clay leaves some minor swirls.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Start with a very mild, not aggressive, clay. Most of the over the counter varieties available at WallyWorld or similar stores are mild clays. Use a lot lot lot lot lot lot lot of lube and very light pressure. That will dictate whether or not you will need to polish. Swirls are hard to see on silver paint so my suggestion is to clay all your paint then coat with your favorite wax and/or sealant. At that point see if you are happy with the results. My guess is you will be. If so then you are done. If not, then just go ahead and polish.

Don't think too much, just do it.

My Cars
    A few
    The new synthetic clay products are great. Griots makes a good one that I like (https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...84249419&psc=1)