Thread: Cluster Programming

My Cars
    BMW E38 735

Cluster Programming

Hi, i want to replace my 328i cluster gauge face from 260 km/h to 280 km/h and 7k rpm to 8k rpm same like M3's. After that i know speed and rpm doesn't show correct. How can i calibrate or program cluster to show correct ? Does someone did it or can help ?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I don’t think any correction is necessary.

Only when number of cylinders changes do you need to adjust the scale factor of the cluster.

My Cars
    BMW E38 735
    Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    I don’t think any correction is necessary.

Only when number of cylinders changes do you need to adjust the scale factor of the cluster.
    The arrangement and spacing of the numbers are different. Because of this cluster needs correction. Some guys say you can flash m3's eeprom to the your cluster but i dont know how to find m3 flash file and how to reprogram it. I cant find any information on google about this.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    This is the first I'm hearing of this.

If you swapped the overlay from the "new" one onto the "old" one, then yes, the scaling would be off. Way off.

But, swapping the entire cluster, the pulse input from the speed sensor in the diff will be the same at the same speed, and the cluster will know that "100KPH" is actually 100KPH. For example, I swapped from four to six cylinders in my car, and simply swapped the cluster. RPM as correct as was the speed.

Similarly, RPM is based on number of cylinders, and correctable through a menu on the cluster. Not easy, but possible. Going from six to six, should require no correction.

But all that is based on the US cluster- I presume, but don't know, the Euro cluster would be operating the same way. Are you seeing a different RPM with the new cluster as compared to the old one?
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    BMW E38 735
    No i didnt swapped entire cluster. I want just change overlay, face of cluster gauges 260 km/h to 280 km/h.

- - - Updated - - -

Just buy aftermarket or custom cluster gauge faces with 280 km/h and 8k rpm.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Okay. That's the disconnect here. I thought you wanted to use the M3 (or other higher-scale) cluster.

Changing the scaling is something I do not know how to do. It may not even be possible to change the scale of a cluster. I honestly don't know.

The engine factor (number of cylinders) can for sure be changed, and the mileage can be aligned to match (the higher of the two will be the same in the DME and cluster) the DME if you have a TMU light on. I don't know what else is possible "in the field".

Sorry for the confusion.

My Cars
    BMW E38 735
    I've searched and asked from knowledgable people they just say its possible read clusters eeprom with tl886 programmer and flash m3 clusters eeprom it will work. But i asked them how to find m3 cluster flash file and how to connect they say search and learn. I searched but there is no information or detailed explanation. Idk why some people doesnt want to help. Sad.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Sometimes, people have invested a lot of time and effort- sometimes over years, and are reluctant to give up their hard work.

Case in point: my engine swap book. I sell it because it holds a treasure trove of information on the E36, that was hard-earned back in the 90's, when this information was not easy to get at all. There literally was no OBD-II swap information at the time. As far as I'm aware, I am the first person to do an OBD-II swap from four to six cylinder in the E36 chassis. Since then, it has gotten easier, and many people have done it (with, and without the help of my book) but I'm not going to start giving away my work.

I also find that I can learn as much as I share, so I chime in and help when I can.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    What's the deal with wanting a non-original clutster in your car? You redline won't magically change to 8k. I'd rather have correct indicators on the dials.

If you want red needles (why?) than swap needles instead.

Or get an M3 if you want an M3.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/