Thread: Blower always on medium/high - sword issue

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i

Blower always on medium/high - sword issue

having issues with an intermittent blower motor and trying to chase down if its the sword or ihka

issues:
    - blower sometimes works normally, but these days it runs on medium/high even if the fan button speed is off
    - whatever speed i set it to (except high speed), the speed stays the same or does not change
    - today it ran at high speed and did not stop until i turned off the car
    - high speed works
    - fuse does not blow / no smoke smell

i took out the sword but tbh the solders look ok to me. does anyone notice anything or have any advice? I saw this thread which was super helpful

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/355700/
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/136145/

plus detailed photos below for reference or in case someone notices something...

Last edited by slowcar88; 08-13-2022 at 10:24 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    most probably the Mosfets as shown in the link. Here my collection of repairs https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Repair-Success
    Programa Inc repair them https://www.programainc.com/default.aspx

direct link to their sword repair https://www.programainc.com/item_lis...&idcategory=29
    Last edited by shogun; 08-14-2022 at 11:19 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    ok thanks shogun

going to replace the sword with a programa unit and also the blower motor
    1988 BMW 735i

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    replaced the blower and the sword (programa unit).

still have issues - the fan works on high and also turns off, however, cant modulate the speed in between and sometimes it randomly changes speeds.

ordered another reman unit and also going to replace the ac controls in the dash
    1988 BMW 735i

My Cars
    88 E32 5spd LSD
    Same issue here slowcar88 on my 88 735i.

Following this thread!

My boat: 3 Programma swords (two new), 2 climate controls, and an ever increasing passive blower speed as the weeks go by. Either programma QC has gone downhill, or something else is going on. No combination of climate controls or swords abates the fan from blowing; turn the key and fan starts and doesn't stop until the key it out. Both of my climate controls do correctly modulate the fan speed, though never can bring it to zero with any of the swords. And, if you disconnect either of the climate controls, and turn the key on, the fan goes 150% non-stop. The fan is getting current past all the swords and two climate controls. I could replace my blower, though why, if there is juice going to the old fan, I would expect it to hit a new fan too. I admittedly am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to vehicle electrics though... I so much more prefer mechanical challenges vs electrics.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    my collection of fixes/comments:
    E32Fan once posted this: Here's my "N2 Final Stage Unit" (Sword) test procedure:
    pin 1 - variable resistance to 12V
    pin 2 - 12 VDC
    pin 3 - touch briefly to 12V to close the full-speed relay
    pin 4 - GND
    pin 5 - Minus blower terminal (or use a headlamp, say)

Connect the Plus terminal of blower motor or headlamp to 12 V.
    With 100K ohms at pin 1 you should measure 0.5 V to Gnd
    As resistance drops, pin 1 voltage will rise and the fan will run faster (or bulb brighter)
    At 15,000 ohms pin 1 voltage is 2.5
    At 10,000 ohms pin 1 voltage is 3.5
    At 5,000 ohms pin 1 voltage is 5.0 and the fan is at top speed
    If you get erratic results, the amplifiers in the Sword may be oscillating, which you can fix by renewing the caps inside the black box.
    -----------------
    Inside the Sword case you will see 3 capacitors marked 3.3 uF/50V. They are C1, C4, C5.
    You can buy Panasonic EEU-EB1H3R3S capacitors from DigiKey.be for E 0,23 each. They are polarized, so there is a + on the board. You could also order a variable resistor such as P160KNP-0QD20B50K
    For testing on your workbench, a 50 watt headlamp is a more convenient load than the blower motor. (Big, heavy, and in your car!)
    One terminal of the lamp goes to pin 5. The other terminal of the lamp goes to 12V.
    ---------------
    Fixed IHKA intermittently powering on and off http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1249309/
    German
    Nach dem hier nun öfters die Frage gestellt wurde, warum das Gebläse nicht ausgeht, obwohl der Schalter auf "0" steht, hier nun des Rätsels Lösung: Es ist der Leistungs-FET. Er ist durchgeschlagen, d. h. hat einen kurzschluß.
    Test: In der Stellung "MAX" läuft das Gebläse geringfügig schneller als in dem Regelbereich. Das liegt an dem Relais, welches bei "MAX" die FETs brückt.
    Um den defekten FET zu finden, müssen alle FETs ausgelötet werden und wie in dem Anhang gezeigt, getestet werden. Mit zwei Fingern abwechselnd 1 und 2 (AN) und 1 und 3 (AUS) berührt werden.
    Es handelt sich um BUZ71, BUZ11 kann ebenso verwendet werden. Warum der BUZ nach nur 3 Wochen nach der Reparatur durchgeknallt ist, k. A. Also auch diese Fehlervariante kann am Heizschwert auftreten.

English: After the question was asked often, why the fan does not switch off, although the switch is on "0", here now the solution: It is the power FET. It has blown, i.e. has a short circuit. Test: In the "MAX" position, the fan runs slightly faster than in the control range. This is due to the relay which bridges the FETs at "MAX". To find the defective FET, all FETs must be desoldered and tested as shown in the appendix. Touch with two fingers alternately 1 and 2 (ON) and 1 and 3 (OFF). This is BUZ71, BUZ11 can be used as well. Why the BUZ blew after only 3 weeks after repair, no idea . So also this error variant can occur at the heater blade.
    pics are shown when you log into this forum http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=111467
    ----------------------
    http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e32/BMW_E32...Unit_Sword.pdf
    how to test the sword http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-heizschwert.htm

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/136145/

German:
    vor ca. einem Jahr fing das Gebläse an zu spinnen. Klar, Heizschwert nachlöten. War auch von Erfolg gekrönt, nur ca. 2 Monate später fing es an das das Gebläse im Regelbereich nur im letzten Viertel sich regeln liess und auch dort erst anlief.
    Es lief mit veringerter Leistung, fing auch langsam an (mit Lüfterbrummen) ,kam aber im Regelbereich nicht auf die volle Leistung, sondern nur max.1/3. Wenn man den Regler dann über den Regelbereich schaltete lief das Gebläse volle Pulle. Nach Studium des Forums ist klar, Heizschwert. Also bei Ebay eins von den 'hat vor dem Ausbau tadelos funktioniert' Heizschwertern erworben. Lötpunkte kontroliert, sah gut aus. Wochen später eingebaut, Fehler bleibt? Forum gewälzt, vielleicht Bedienfeld? Da im eingebauten Bedienteil ein Paar Leuchtdioden streikten fiel die Entscheidung leicht, Ebay und wieder eins von den 'hat beim.... Wochen später, Bedienteil gewechselt, Fehler bleibt, dafür leuchten alle Dioden. Drei aber immer nur eine halbe Stunde lang. Forum gewälzt, Leuctdioden repariert. (Hatte ich schon mal erwähnt das dieses Forum einfach nur genial ist?). Jetzt leuchtet schon mal alles. Forum gewälzt und das Augenmerk auf den Lüfter gerichtet. Der brummt immer so wenn er anläuft. Kohlen verschlissen? Ebay und leider einen falschen Lüfter ersteigert. Bis ich dann den richtigen hatte, verging die Zeit. Lüfterwechsel ist auch so nicht mein Hobby, also dauerte das. Lüfter getauscht, Fehler bleibt. Dann kann es ja nur noch das IHKA Modul sein. Jetzt gab es aber die Schwierigkeit das auf meinem Modul der Aufkleber weg war und ich keine Ahnung was bei mir verbaut ist. Mir ein Modul ersteigert, passte nicht, aber ich weiß jetzt das die Module über die Stecker codiert sind. Mir die Stecker-'Nasen' gemerkt, und dann über das Forum eins bekommen was passte. Hatte vorher schon mal mein Heizschwert bei einem Löter abgegeben mit der Bitte : Kuck mal drüber.
    Sein Kommentar 2 Leistungstransistoren defekt. ? Na gut, er hat alle vier getauscht. So, am 1. Mai war es so weit, IKHA-Modul tauschen und das reparierte Heizschwert einbauen. Modul eingebaut, Fehler bleibt. Heizschwert am Stecker angeschlossen, FEHLER BLEIBT! Hackekrucks Michel, ab jetzt nehm ich das PERSÖHNLICH, jetzt ist es eine Sache der Ehre, das lass ich mir jetzt nicht mehr gefallen!!Schaltpläne geholt, wobei ich noch erwähnen muß, das mir als Maschinenbauer das lesen von Schaltplänen so an sich nicht in die Wiege gelegt worden ist. Nach längerem Brüten festgestellt das das Heizschwert so an sich nix kompliziertes ist. Es hat 5 Anschlüsse, davon ist Pin 1 der Anschluss vom Regelpoti, Pin 2 Spannungsversorgung, Pin 3 da wird das Relais angesteuert wenn man das Lüfterpoti über der Regelbereich schaltet, dann werden da 12 Volt zugeschaltet. Pin 4 ist die Masse und Pin 5 das Kabel vom Lüfter. Habe dann das Heizschwert im Fußraum mit abgeschraubten Plastikschalen an das Kabel gehängt und mal gemessen. Im Prinzip alles in Ordnung. Wenn man am Bedienteil am Regler dreht ändert sich die Spannung an Pin 1 von 1,1 - 4,25 Volt. Da der Treibertransistor, der den Regler verstärkt, nur eine Eingangsspannung von 5 Volt hat, muß das der volle Regelbereich sein. Heizschwert und Reservelüfter bei meinem Löter vorbeigebracht und ihn gebeten den Lüfter mal auf dem Tisch mit dem Heizschwert zu betreiben. Gesagt, getan das Ergebnis war, das der Lüfter erst bei 3,5 Volt den Betrieb aufnahm. Des Rätsels Lösung ist, das das Vorverstärker IC (ich glaub LM 139) defekt war. In diesem 8-beinigen Käfer sind 2 Vorverstärker, davon war einer defekt. Getauscht, kostet 1,50 Euro. Jetzt regelt es wieder. Hat ja auch nur etwas mehr wie ein dreiviertel Jahr gedauert, aber GEWONNEN!!!!

translation:
    about a year ago, the blower began play crazy. Sure, re-solder the heating element. Was also crowned with success, only about 2 months later it began to regulate the fan in the control range only in the last quarter and also there only started. It ran with reduced power, started also slowly (with fan humming) but did not reach full power in the control range, but only max.1/3. If one switched the regulator then over the control range ran the fan full blast. After studying the forum it was clear to me, heating sword problem.
    So I purchased on Ebay one of the 'has worked before removal' heating sword. Soldering points checked, looked good. Weeks later installed, error remains? Again studied the forum, perhaps a defective control panel?
    Since in the installed control panel a pair of LEDs were not working, the decision was easy, Ebay and again bought one of the 'has woked before removal....". Weeks later, control panel replaced, error remains, but all diodes light up. Three but always only for half an hour. Checked again the forum, diodes repaired. (Did I ever mention that this forum is just great?). Now everything lights up. Checked the forum for info and the attention on the fan directed. It always hums when it starts. Carbon worn out in the blower motor? Again searched Ebay and bought unfortunately a wrong blower fan. Until I had the right one, time passed. Blower fan change is also not my favourite hobby, so that took time. Fan exchanged, error remains.
    Then it can only be the IHKA control module. Now there was the difficulty that on my module the sticker was gone and I have no idea what is installedI checked the control module plugs. I bought a module, did not fit, but I now know that the modules are coded via the connectors. I checked my control module plugs (there are 2 different modules by built year) , and then got over the forum posts which one fits.
    I had already given my heating sword to a solderer with the request: Look over it. His comment 2 power transistors defective. ? Well, he changed all four. So, on the 1st of May IKHA module exchanged and the repaired heating sword installed.
    Module installed, error remains. Heater sword connected to the plug, ERROR AGAIN!!
    ... from now on I took it PERSONALLY, now it's a matter of honor, I won't put up with it now!!!
    Wiring diagrams studied, whereby I must still mention, that me as a mechanical engineer the reading of circuit diagrams is not the easiest. After longer studying I found out that the heating element is not complicated.

It has 5 connections, pin 1 is the connection of the control potentiometer, Pin 2 is the power supply, Pin 3 is the relay if you switch the fan potentiometer over the control range, then 12 volts are switched on. Pin 4 is the ground and pin 5 the cable from the fan. I left then the heater sword in the footwell with unscrewed plastic shells to the cable and measured.
    In principle everything is ok. If you turn the controller on the control panel, the voltage on pin 1 changes from 1.1 - 4.25 volts. Since the driver transistor that amplifies the regulator only has an input voltage of 5 volts, this must be the full control range.
    I brought the heater sword and the reserve blower fan to my solderer and asked him to run the fan on the table with the heater sword.
    No sooner said than done, the result was that the fan only started to operate at 3.5 volts. The solution is that the preamplifier IC (I think LM 139) was defective.. In this 8-legged "beetle" are 2 preamplifiers, one of them was defective. Exchanged, costs 1.50 euros. Now it regulates again. Took only a little more than three quarters of a year, but I WON!!!! Hopefully I could explain this to some extent, and finally contribute something to the forum.
    ------------
    one commented: Don't be angry with me, but BUZ11 has been more than obsolete for 30 years. But still mentioned in every DIY manual. Take something better, STP55N06 for example. Rdson is much smaller and therefore losses.

Klimaautomatik IHKA (German language PDF) seminar training material, 53 pages for download http://www.e38.org/e32/klimaautomatik.pdf

and more collected here , E32-34-sword-repair-info-collection http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showt...llection/page2

German language Behr sword repair with pics https://web.archive.org/web/20090306...eizschwert.pdf
    Last edited by shogun; 08-30-2022 at 09:59 AM.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    Just tried another AC control / buttons. Still having the same symptoms, which leads me to believe its a sword issue.

Have another reman sword on order from programa/FCP euro...

so far:

1. programa sword
    1. AC control / buttons
    1. blower

might need to try IHKA module next
    Last edited by slowcar88; 08-31-2022 at 09:06 PM.
    1988 BMW 735i

My Cars
    1988 BMW 735i
    Quick update, replaced the sword with another reman programa unit. It appears to be working correctly now.

Think programa qc has gone downhill

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Hope you sent a claim report to Programa Inc that they know and check what went wrong with their repair, to avoid future problems

My Cars
    88 E32 5spd LSD
    Quote Originally Posted by slowcar88 View Post
    Quick update, replaced the sword with another reman programa unit. It appears to be working correctly now.

Think programa qc has gone downhill
    Good to know! I will try to return mine as well.
    88 E32 735i 5spd LSD
    83 E23 733i 5spd Euro ( still miss it )