Thread: 1993 525i potential project car

My Cars
    BMW 330i

1993 525i potential project car

Hi folks! I’m new to the forum and wanted to ask all you experienced people a few questions. I’m considering buying a 1994 525i that a salvage yard in my area recently acquired. I do not yet know what is wrong with it. I can tell you there is minimal body damage, only very minor rust that I could see on the sheet metal, a couple of dings, the paint might even be polished to look pretty good, all four 5 spoke BMW wheels, interior needs work but isn’t too bad, exterior lights are intact.

I am going to take a closer look at it tomorrow to look underneath, get inside it, check under the hood and see if I can coax it to crank. It is an auto, so that might be why it was sold to the salvage/breaker yard. What would be a reasonable asking price for this car? What should I look for on the car before buying it? What would be an absolute DO NOT BUY THIS CAR issue? Any tests I could do while checking it out?

I don’t expect it to run and drive. I’m kind of looking for a basic project car that won’t require me to completely break it down and replace everything. I expect to have to remove the head, but would rather not have to do any bottom end work on the engine. I’m not a transmission guy at all, though. If the transmission is likely toast, that could be a big problem for me. I just want a rather basic project that my teenage son a I can do to get the car in running and driving condition.

Sorry for such a wordy post. Thanks for your time!

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Hello and welcome!

Dealbreakers depend on what you can and are willing to deal with, and what'll break you. Typically, straight and rust-free body is most important, followed by interior, followed by powertrain, followed by suspension. Needing a partial or full suspension rebuild is pretty much a given, and if done properly, transforms an aging hooptie into a proper representative of the Ultimate Driving Machine, BMW at its zenith. These are really good drivers if the footwork is sorted out. Engine bottom end work is unlikely to be needed, top end also unlikely unless it's overheated, transmission work far more likely; the slushboxes on these aren't known for strength or longevity, and putting aside my personal bias against automatics (for context, even my Mercedes S-class is lining up for a manual swap), the E34 is especially hampered by an auto.

Are you willing to replace the trans? With a manual? How about the engine? In all scenarios, it's worth noting that the engines and transmissions are not unique to the chassis; you can use pretty much any BMW straight-six from 1991 to 1999, and transmissions from an even wider range. FWIW, replacing the engine is less work than the headgasket.

Five-spoke wheels? Got pics?

A reasonable price? Depends. If it runs and drives with all gears... low 4 figures. If it runs but the trans is crapped out, 1k tops. If it doesn't run or overheats, I could see 500ish, maybe more if the wheels are nice.

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    That’s crazy that replacing the engine is cheaper than replacing the head gasket. I do have a cherry picker though.
    The wheels look like AC Schnitzer five spoke, actually.
    I wouldn’t mind swapping to a manual trans, if the auto is fried. I’ve seen that swapping out the pedal box and shifter isn’t really that difficult. How does the computer react to a manual swap?

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    I meant easier, not cheaper

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    Btw, the guy initially asked for $1200, but knew nothing about the car. I am going to go have a good look at it, inside and out, and try to crank it.

My Cars
    E34T
    Seems worth checking out. Got pics, a link, or at least what colors? On a 1994, manual swap electrics depend slightly on the production month (more to the point, what EWS security system it has; they aren't hard to change), but are quite minimal in any case - jump a couple of wires to get the starter to work, a couple more to get cruise control to work, and ground one wire to stop the TRANS PROGRAM dash warning (which does nothing).

Consider bringing a cooling system pressure tester, or depending on circumstances, possibly a leakdown tester. This is in search of potential headgasket or head problems, which most E34 are more prone to than the average car - long alu head on an iron block, combined with a somewhat fragile cooling system (that can be improved). The magnitude of this project, at least to start, depend in meaningful part on whether or not it has said problems.

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    I would be happy to post pictures once I get a chance to take them. No link. It isn’t advertised. It is a black 1993.

- - - Updated - - -

When you said this: “ The magnitude of this project, at least to start, depend in meaningful part on whether or not it has said problems.” You are referring to the cooling system and possible head damage, right?

My Cars
    E34T
    If it's 1993 production, there's no EWS to worry about (not that it's a big deal). Yes, I refer to head damage - it's less work for sooner usable results if you don't need to replace the engine or headgasket right away.

My Cars
    e34 and Chevy trucks
    Quote Originally Posted by TuaLaoch View Post
    I’m kind of looking for a basic project car that won’t require me to completely break it down and replace everything.
    If it's at a junk yard and doesn't run and drive sans a new battery, I'd hard pass unless you want to do an engine swap. Assume everything steering and suspension related is trashed minus the steering box. That's 2k in parts no labor for lemforder type quality. Assume new pads and rotors and replace the master cylinder reservoir grommets (cheap and easy insurance). It'll probably need a new tstats, water pump, and a coolant flush if you plan on keeping the engine as is.

For a rolling chassis w/ brakes and suspension, budget 2k.

Add to that the cost of an engine/trans swap + interior stuff to get sorted if that's the angle you're looking at.
    Last edited by tortexal; 08-15-2022 at 10:32 PM.
    Emotion based ignorance.