Thread: Front left Power window issue

My Cars
    1980 633csi, 2020 x3 M40

Front left Power window issue

Have had minor glitches with my driver's side front power window on and off. Things escalated over the week, and now my window doesnt move up or down. when i use the switch, i hear a clicking noise but no movement. i can manually move the window up and down, just has no power.

I cleaned the switches and swapped out another switch i was using for the back window that works fine, but still no dice. tested power to the window motor, and it appears to all be in spec.

i was thinking there must be an issue with the lifter mechanism itself. im pretty sure the 'hexagon' is stripped, but not sure if that would be the issue? i know the motor is getting power, but i dont know enough about the mechanics of the unit to know where the hang up could be..

would you suggest i remove the entire regulator to inspect? if so, do i need to completely remove the glass/window before doing so? I've found a ton of information out there, just not sure any of it applies to pre-82' models unfortunately... im 100% a rookie when it comes to window regulators so any guidance would be a HUGE help.

Last edited by Rdeli; 08-11-2022 at 04:05 PM.

My Cars
    79 euro 635
    I've been there. Yes, you will need to disconnect the glass from the mechanism, cut a stick, or pvc pipe to support the glass, then remove the motor and regulator. The old grease in the motor will be wax by now, gumming up the gears. the regulator will need lubed. I use pb Blaster, for that great mothball smell. Don't be surprised if the motor works fine as soon as you remove it. I'd still take the time to regrease and inspect. Pay attention to where the sliding bolt is in the slot. this adjusts how high the window goes to seal at top.

My Cars
    1980 633csi, 2020 x3 M40
    Thanks Marc appreciate the help man

Update: i sprayed some lubricant in one of the motor mounting screws which helped alot. I now hear the motor turning freely V.S the 'click' i was only getting before.

However, the motor still isn't catching any gears and there's still zero movement. I hear great response from the motor but much more high-pitched than normal. I had to drive the car last night so i assembled everything (fun) but am going to repull tonight.

2 additional questions i have if anyone can assist:

1.) how to you use an 'emergency crank' mechanism on a pre'82? I could not follow the images but assume there's a way?

2.) If your gearbox becomes separated from your motor, does this throw off the actuation? Im about 90% sure my issue is the something got bent and threw the gears off in some way, but is it even worth me looking at? My hexagon spins freely and doesn't seem to be attached to anything either... just wondering if i should order a new regulator now or if this is an easy enough job to reassemble by hand? I would imagine its pretty touchy
    Last edited by Rdeli; 08-15-2022 at 06:16 PM.

My Cars
    79 euro 635
    There should be an allen wrench on the end of a tool in the tool kit, or just use another metric allen wrench. Iirc you back the allen screw out of the plastic hex a couple of turns. This allows the plastic hex to push in and engage the gearbox. Use the big socket tool in tool kit to raise or lower glass. Be warned it's still kinda sketchy, and may strip. I removed my plastic hex, when it stripped.
    It's old tech, parts maybe nla, or expensive. I bet if you take it all out, clean and grease, it'll be good.

My Cars
    1980 633csi, 2020 x3 M40
    youre exactly right, that small screw appears to be stripped or the hex itself not sure. im just going to completely remove it

good new is the window stays up just fine with everything reinstalled. im going to repull it and inspect completely removed VS 1/3 installed like before