Thread: Difference between e36 and e46 flywheels?

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan

Difference between e36 and e46 flywheels?

Does anyone have spec differences between the flywheels for a 95 325i (should be the same for all e36 variants) and the 03 330i. I went to install my clutch kit for the 325i and the flywheel splines are past the end of the splines on the starter by about half an inch. I'm in contact with the company I bought the clutch kit from to see if they'll swap the e36 flywheel for the e46 330i one, but if I can't get them to agree to that I need to know what to look for as a replacement.
    Current Cars: 1995 325i Sedan (Super Clean Turbo Build Project), 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage (Because everyone needs something reliable)

RIP 1999 328i (Cremated); You were a lot of fun, and many of your parts will live on in my new project. You'll never be forgotten.

Project Bike: 1982 Suzuki GS 1100g Super Cafe Racer Build
    Follow Me:
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/deltadeconstruct/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Delta.DeConstruct

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDConstruct View Post
    Does anyone have spec differences between the flywheels for a 95 325i (should be the same for all e36 variants) and the 03 330i. I went to install my clutch kit for the 325i and the flywheel splines are past the end of the splines on the starter by about half an inch. I'm in contact with the company I bought the clutch kit from to see if they'll swap the e36 flywheel for the e46 330i one, but if I can't get them to agree to that I need to know what to look for as a replacement.
    There are huge differences depending on the year. The 6 speed 330 clutch plates will have lots more / thinner splines, and will not fit on the transmission input shaft. The flywheel that goes with that 6 speed holds the pilot bearing in the flywheel itself, not in the crank.

I had about 15 different kinds of trouble when doing my 6 speed swap, but I did NOT experience trouble with the starter - and I'm kind of curious how you did given the starter bolts to the transmission. You know the first step to activating the starter is that it throws the starter gear rearward into the teeth of the flywheel, right? At rest, there SHOULD be a half inch gap or so...

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    There are huge differences depending on the year. The 6 speed 330 clutch plates will have lots more / thinner splines, and will not fit on the transmission input shaft. The flywheel that goes with that 6 speed holds the pilot bearing in the flywheel itself, not in the crank.

I had about 15 different kinds of trouble when doing my 6 speed swap, but I did NOT experience trouble with the starter - and I'm kind of curious how you did given the starter bolts to the transmission. You know the first step to activating the starter is that it throws the starter gear rearward into the teeth of the flywheel, right? At rest, there SHOULD be a half inch gap or so...
    My issue isn't the number of teeth on the flywheel it is the distance of the teeth on an m50 single mass flywheel from the splines on the starter. I'm wondering if the offset between the m54 and m50 flywheels is different or something because I didn't have any issues when I did a manual swap on my 2000 328i.
    Current Cars: 1995 325i Sedan (Super Clean Turbo Build Project), 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage (Because everyone needs something reliable)

RIP 1999 328i (Cremated); You were a lot of fun, and many of your parts will live on in my new project. You'll never be forgotten.

Follow Me:

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    My issue isn't the number of teeth on the flywheel it is the distance of the teeth on an m50 single mass flywheel from the splines on the starter. I'm wondering if the offset between the m54 and m50 flywheels is different or something because I didn't have any issues when I did a manual swap on my 2000 328i.
    So, pictures maybe? Where are you measuring from?

I don't get how you're making this call that the starter won't engage. The starter bolts to the transmission. The gear on the starter slides back and forth to engage the flywheel and then it slides forward again to get out of the way. So there SHOULD be a gap when you're not starting the car.

Are you talking flywheel diameter or fore / aft positioning?

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    The gear on the starter slides back and forth to engage the flywheel and then it slides forward again to get out of the way. So there SHOULD be a gap when you're not starting the car.

Are you talking flywheel diameter or fore / aft positioning?
    You know how many hours I have searched for an answer to that question, if the gear moves when engaged? You just saved me $150 on a used flywheel, thanks!

Just to explain why I didn't know this. When I did my manual transmission conversion on my e46 I didn't even look at the starter aside from the body and the bolts. I pulled the trans, let the starter hang until after everything was back together, got the starter back in place, and bolted it back up. Not once did I look at the gear or even think about function since it was a like (generation) for like swap.
    Last edited by DeltaDConstruct; 08-11-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Follow Me:

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    You know how many hours I have searched for an answer to that question, if the gear moves when engaged? You just saved me $150 on a used flywheel, thanks!

Just to explain why I didn't know this. When I did my manual transmission conversion on my e46 I didn't even look at the starter aside from the body and the bolts. I pulled the trans, let the starter hang until after everything was back together, got the starter back in place, and bolted it back up. Not once did I look at the gear or even think about function since it was a like (generation) for like swap.

I figured. I mentioned this a little in my first post, but since you didn't know how it works, my vague mention of the starter gear moving probably didn't jump out at you.

Anyway - you're good!!