Thread: Swapping exhaust back to stock in my driveway fail

My Cars
    1999 e36 m3

Swapping exhaust back to stock in my driveway fail

I have had this 1999 M3 for a few weeks as it had a UUC exhaust which I hate and tonight attempted to switch it back to stock. I got the old exhaust fairly easy but no way I can get this stock one back on myself as it is heavy and laying on my back on the driveway I tried for sometime and failed as now am forced to take it somewhere. Has anyone successfully done this at home? This is a multi person job and really think it has to be one on a lift.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    I've done it a few times and yeah, it sucks lol

I used a fairly large Coleman cooler to hold it up while I tighten down the 13m nuts on the exhaust hangers.

Try asking a buddy to come over and help you out?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I've done it on a few cars with heavy exhausts. Like golgo, I found ways to hold up one end while I did the other. I have occasionally propped up one end with my legs.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Yes you basically need 1) a helping hand or 2) something to support the other end of the exhaust with.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Guess I'm the only one that thinks it is easy (because it is).

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Floor Jack to help you raise up one end? Use your feet? Have a 13mm long extension ready to get at least one nut on the muffler hanger?

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    It's easy.
    I install the hangers for the muffler first, with the clamps open.
    I rest the front section on a stool/milk crate/box.
    Then I jack the muffler into place and set it in the hangers.
    Then scoot up to the front and connect the front section to the headers.
    Then hang the mid section by slipping the donuts over the hooks on the exhaust.

My Cars
    1999 e36 m3
    Sirhodjibob you are in Nova come help me!!!

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    The muffler piping inserts into the mid section (the side that slots in) first. You do not try to place it near the hangers or in the hangers first. a, the slip fit portion requires this and b, it relieves most of the weight having one pipe pinned into the mid.

Then you insert the muffler end into the hangers (already on the car) having already prepared them in the open position with the nut at the tip of the threads.

My Cars
    1999 e36 m3
    Thanks for the responses.

I am waiting for a bracket for the muffler as will give this another try. Do I have to go in through the drivers side wheel well to get that side in or can be done without going through there? I never had the OEM on the car as the UUC had a fair amount of room as the stock muffler is huge and very tiny amount of room back there.

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rrich49132 View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

I am waiting for a bracket for the muffler as will give this another try. Do I have to go in through the drivers side wheel well to get that side in or can be done without going through there? I never had the OEM on the car as the UUC had a fair amount of room as the stock muffler is huge and very tiny amount of room back there.

sounds like you dont have the car high enough, last time i did this i think i put a ratchet strap on my small blue harbor freight jack around the back of the muffler with the handle pointed to the front of the car, so i could operate it with my feet, and I layed in the centerline of the car and just did it. i dont remember this giving me a fight but the weight and clearance on small jack stands i can see being a issue.

your circumstances might require a 2nd person to hold the back as you deal with the front.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobiedoo2029 View Post
    sounds like you dont have the car high enough, last time i did this i think i put a ratchet strap on my small blue harbor freight jack around the back of the muffler with the handle pointed to the front of the car, so i could operate it with my feet, and I layed in the centerline of the car and just did it. i dont remember this giving me a fight but the weight and clearance on small jack stands i can see being a issue.

your circumstances might require a 2nd person to hold the back as you deal with the front.
    LOL - I thought I was the only weirdo who regularly uses my feet to operate my floor jack for stuff like this!

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    LOL - I thought I was the only weirdo who regularly uses my feet to operate my floor jack for stuff like this!
    Oh, we've all been that weirdo.
    "And with your third hand..."