Thread: Anyone familiar with this PS reservoir brand?

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru

Anyone familiar with this PS reservoir brand?

My power steering reservoir has been dripping again lately, so this time around I decided to replace the reservoir itself along with the two lines that connect to it.

I paid a bit extra for the ZF reservoir on the assumption that's OE, but the online seller (RM European) sent me a reservoir that doesn't have the ZF logo (on either the cap or body).
    It has a "3" or "B" logo on the cap (and nothing on the body).

See attached photo. Anyone know who makes this? RM only sells the ZF and the REIN, but I don't think this is a REIN logo, either...

I alerted RM European, but they haven't been very proactive about making me happy. (So far, "we'll have to get our warehouse to conduct a box check" is the only response I've received). I'm okay with using what they sent me if it's just as good, but I paid the premium for a ZF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I don't recognize the Insignia...I presume it did not come in its own packaging?

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    It came wrapped in a thin/clear plastic bag sealed with a generic sticker sporting a part number, but not the BMW P/N that the seller uses for the ZF on their site.

(The ZF P/N is 32416851217-MFG103 at RM European.)

The sticker on the bag containing the reservoir I received has this (below a barcode):
    1050901/103
    Reservoir
    20622A01

No brand name, anywhere ....

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I just bought all the PS lines and reservoir from FCP Euro. The reservoir was suppose to be ZF according to their website. The only marking on it was on the cap, Use CHF11 only and some Asian hen scratching. My original reservoir said ZF.

My Cars
    '02 530i w/Sport
    10509-01 looks to be a Lemforder part # for that reservoir (Lemforder being a ZF owned brand). 20622A01 looks like a date code (guessing here). When I get home I'll look at my new "ZF" reservoir, I'm pretty sure it looked like Jims, was also bought at FCP.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I just bought all the PS lines and reservoir from FCP Euro. The reservoir was suppose to be ZF according to their website. The only marking on it was on the cap, Use CHF11 only and some Asian hen scratching. My original reservoir said ZF.
    Interesting. Sounds like a trend .... RM European's site clearly shows a ZF res marked "ZF" on both the cap and body, and that's what I expected to get, regardless of origin country.

Funny, as I was typing this, I received a request from RM to review my purchased items! sigh ....

The one I've been given looks fine, I just would like to know who made it.

- - - Updated - - -

Weed, you and Jim got a Lemforder with Chinese wording on it? The body of my new res only has this:

> PA 66 GF 25 <

Oh well, I best just "move on" and install the thing ....

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    Interesting. Sounds like a trend .... RM European's site clearly shows a ZF res marked "ZF" on both the cap and body, and that's what I expected to get, regardless of origin country.

Funny, as I was typing this, I received a request from RM to review my purchased items! sigh ....

The one I've been given looks fine, I just would like to know who made it.

- - - Updated - - -

Weed, you and Jim got a Lemforder with Chinese wording on it? The body of my new res only has this:

> PA 66 GF 25 <

Oh well, I best just "move on" and install the thing ....
    So, I just got one from RM European also and it appears to be the same as you received -- no ZF molded in to the plastic anywhere.

Did you install yours and it is fine?

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    So, I just got one from RM European also and it appears to be the same as you received -- no ZF molded in to the plastic anywhere.

Did you install yours and it is fine?
    RM got back to me just a few days ago with word from ZF that this is in fact one of their products.
    It's a question of confidence, I guess, but I am going to trust RM on this.

I haven't installed yet (other DIYs got priority) but it should be okay. Material/build looks identical.
    I still have no clue what the "B" logo stands for, tho'. I guess it merges B, M, and W, if you look at it long enough (ha).

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
    RM got back to me just a few days ago with word from ZF that this is in fact one of their products.
    It's a question of confidence, I guess, but I am going to trust RM on this.

I haven't installed yet (other DIYs got priority) but it should be okay. Material/build looks identical.
    I still have no clue what the "B" logo stands for, tho'. I guess it merges B, M, and W, if you look at it long enough (ha).
    Thanks for the update!

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    ... along with the two lines that connect to it.
    I did that a year ago. I was just under it this week and what a difference, nice and dry on that side. Pass side is a bit moist due to a bad pan gasket, but the P/S lines really cleaned things up. I'd even gone in and put on an extra screw type hose clamp to try to seal it, but for naught. New lines and Woo Hoo!
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    2000 bmw e39
    replace the cap with a ZF

My Cars
    01 540iMT and 03 540iMT

Interesting...

My power steering reservoir has been dripping again lately, so this time around I decided to replace the reservoir itself along with the two lines that connect to it.

I paid a bit extra for the ZF reservoir on the assumption that's OE, but the online seller (RM European) sent me a reservoir that doesn't have the ZF logo (on either the cap or body).
    It has a "3" or "B" logo on the cap (and nothing on the body).

See attached photo. Anyone know who makes this? RM only sells the ZF and the REIN, but I don't think this is a REIN logo, either...

I alerted RM European, but they haven't been very proactive about making me happy. (So far, "we'll have to get our warehouse to conduct a box check" is the only response I've received). I'm okay with using what they sent me if it's just as good, but I paid the premium for a ZF.

I've just recently run into the EXACT same issue with what I thought was a "ZF" pwr steering reservoir, ordering the ZF to get OE quality, and I got the same thing you got from two different suppliers, PartsContainer and FCPEuro, the container with no branding, company packaging, or anything else that would help me verify that this is a genuine ZF part.

I've reached out to ZF, and they're replied that the logo shown on the cap, the same logo you're describing does NOT fall under the ZF umbrella of companies. My research on this continues, and I have a post up on Bimmerfest.com trying to ID that logo.

- - - Updated - - -

ZF told me this morning the exact opposite, that they don't recognize that "B" or "3" logo as anything that falls under the ZF umbrella of companies, which is the same thing I came up with during a search last evening. I only see Lemforder and TRW under the ZF umbrella for aftermarket passenger car steering parts.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Things change but my original ZF res only says ATF Oil Only on the cap and ZF in a circle on the res body as well as the BMW logo (back side with the material data).
    The new res I picked up to replace it, since it was weeping, was a Rein (said so on the packaging) but doesn't have any manufacturer's logos anywhere on it.
    One thing I did note is it's a little fatter around the middle (like a lot of us) as it just barely fit in the clamp.
    I almost had to look for a longer bolt, kinda like un snapping your pants after Thanksgiving dinner!