Thread: Never too old to learn new tricks

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3

Never too old to learn new tricks

FCP Euro pointed out the error of my ways when pouring oil: https://youtu.be/dEAx-I3f82w

I never thought of that, although I may have accidentally done better holding the container sideways a few times.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I guess us old dogs can learn new tricks!

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    FCP Euro pointed out the error of my ways when pouring oil: https://youtu.be/dEAx-I3f82w

I never thought of that, although I may have accidentally done better holding the container sideways a few times.
    I remember oil cans being round 1 qt cans you punctured with the spout, ahhh those were the days of fat drivers and skinny tyres

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post

Thats funny. I read the same FCP tip, thinking “doesn’t everybody pour oil this way.” Its all about venting the container.
    -Donny

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    You don't even need to worry about the direction if you use the better method, which is just squeezing the container. Even faster.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    Thats funny. I read the same FCP tip, thinking “doesn’t everybody pour oil this way.” Its all about venting the container.
    -Donny
    +1 Didn't know there was another way.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    -Donny

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    +1 Didn't know there was another way.

I bet you guys install the toilet paper roll with the loose end to the front.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    LOL. I wonder if this also works on a 5qt bottle. I'll have to try it next time to find out.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    z3
    I learned this trick a few years ago but I still start pouring the "wrong" way probably 1 out of 4 times then I remember and flip the jug around lol

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    I'll take glugging over missing the mark. Missing the mark is always on my mind when I consider the "right way".

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    LOL. I wonder if this also works on a 5qt bottle. I'll have to try it next time to find out.
    Works the same. My LM 5qt jugs come with a retractable pour spout, but i still turn the jug sideways. If nothing else, it gets the spout tip closer to the motor fill point before oil starts flowing.

Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    - - - Updated - - -

Guilty.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Maybe I'm just getting really old, but doesn't anyone else just use a funnel? I have dedicated ones for engine oil, trans fluid, coolant, and waste fluids. I for one would not want to try pouring oil from a 5-qt jug directly into the engine.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 5-Speed Rdst
    - - - Updated - - -

bet you guys install the toilet paper roll with the loose end to the front.
    Really? I thought everyone put the loose end to the front.
    A little old couple in a little old car

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotsaputts View Post
    Really? I thought everyone put the loose end to the front.
    Most of you guys are probably too young to remember "Dear Abby", a newspaper advice column. On this topic, she had so many opinion letters coming in, on both sides, she finally said "Stop the letters".
    The "correct" position is unprovable, so I will simply decide what is correct: it should be on the front.
    Last edited by zellamay; 08-03-2022 at 10:12 AM.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    Most of you guys are probably too young to remember "Dear Abby", a newspaper advice column. On this topic, she had so many opinion letters coming in, on both sides, she finally said "Stop the letters".
    The "correct" position is unprovable, so I will simply decide what is correct: it should be on the front.
    I remember when I was young, old timers talk about when they were young, using old Sears catalogs. And yes to the front of roll being out. You can get a lot of scratches in the wall paint if you go the other way.

My Cars
    z3
    Loose side to the front! My fiance put a new roll in the other way last week and I took a picture and messaged her telling her it was absolutely inhumane. Eek

Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Maybe I'm just getting really old, but doesn't anyone else just use a funnel? I have dedicated ones for engine oil, trans fluid, coolant, and waste fluids. I for one would not want to try pouring oil from a 5-qt jug directly into the engine.
    Using a funnel does not mean you can't use the right pouring method. I usually use a funnel, unless im just topping up. However if not using a funnel one should definitely use the correct ("upside down") pouring method because then it pours in the same location with predictable laminar flow

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    In our house we observe the 3rd law of domestic dynamics, 'he who changes the roll determines the direction of rotation'.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    I also use a funnel. I just don't do the glug glug while using it.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I also use a funnel. I just don't do the glug glug while using it.
    Same, same.