Thread: Early model heater control panel questions

My Cars
    1978 320i

Early model heater control panel questions

Back again in need of some assistance.. Was getting hot air at my feet so I started looking into the heater valve, ended up deciding to finally take a look at the heater control panel... None of it ever worked and things were a mess back there, every other piece of plastic was broken and it looks like someone had already tried repairing it with super glue, different nails etc... Thankfully the control pieces behind the panel are still in production, so I'll be ordering a right and left unit. However I have 3 big questions/concerns

1. What does part# 64111358488 do? Mine were broken and I couldn't really figure out the routing, and the part is no longer produced so not even sure what I'm going to do about it really.

2. I found a corner of the board broken where it looks it contacts a metal pin, this is on the lighter/defroster side. What does that do and is it repairable? What would you guys recommend? I'm not looking to purchase a new control panel, just repair what I can from this one.
    IMG_0503.jpgIMG_0502.jpg

3. There is a fan speed knob on the panel, however I have two other knobs underneath the control panel, one for AC and another that controls the blower motor.. The air in the car works, AC not so much but I can hear the compressor kick on when I turn the knob and engine rpms fluctuate, so both of those are somewhat functional.... So what's the control panel fan knob for?

My Cars
    1978 323i
    1. Well... how many cables do you have? there should be four in total... One to the heater valve, one to the flap between the heater core and air intake (outside/inside air flap), and one to each of the flaps on the left and right sides of the air plenum (heater core box). If they're push-pull cables maybe you can make new ones somehow?

2. That broken corner was one of the power connections for a light board that attaches (and looks to be missing) behind both pairs of control levers. (#6 and #7 on this page https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0289)

3. The upper fan speed knob is for the heater fan. The lower fan knobs are for the a/c fan and temp control. The wiring is such that when the a/c fan is running, the heater fan should stop.

David

My Cars
    1978 320i
    Hey so yeah I have all 4 bowden cables that attach to the levers, those would be 8 and 9 on realoem (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=64_0208) but I can't find any info on #11 really. I had some clear plastic wires that were coated in black sheath that broke, after looking through things some more I think they were used to transmit light from the bulbs in the panel to the handles via the clear wire, and I'm thinking that's 11, but I think I would need 4, not the 2 listed in realoem.. realoem can be a little confusing or misleading sometimes imo

I can't believe I missed that page, thanks for linking it. Yeah looks like the panel is still in production, although I'm a bit split if I want to fix it at the moment.. Good to know the option is there though, thank you!

Thanks for clarifying, I guess I should start looking into how exactly the heating and cooling works.. Although as long as the cool air is blowing, I'm not too worried about the heater fan for now...Don't want to go 'fixing' things and making more projects, every time i touch something different on this car i end up with more work... and I won't be driving it in the winter anyway

Appreciate the help

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Ahhhhh yes I bet you're right, #11 must be a "light pipe". Mine didn't have any and I never even noticed. I spent a while trying to get all the bulbs working on mine with pretty good success. That old plastic is so brittle I won't voluntarily be taking it apart again anytime soon!!