Our 2008 BMW 528i with 120,000 miles had a transmission error and stuck in park July 8th . Who to take to for repair? Dealer or aftermarket specializing in BMW? I chose dealer thinking they would have the transmission expertise. I put the car in emergency neutral per BMW instructions and had it towed to Monterey BMW. First diagnosis is they can’t read codes because battery is bad and new one cost $500 plus! No option but to buy their battery ☹ Now they can pull an error code! Code is 4e20 electronic pressure control valve #1 and I need a new mechatronics part $3697.68 and labor $1057.50. No choice but to fix car!
Transmission serviced and parts installed, and car still locks in park! They call BMW central on the East coast and were told to take apart transmission and check for kinked hose. They put it back together and still gets stuck in park. They call BMW central and next day they’re told the control cable may be hyper extended by owner trying to take car out of park! I informed them I used the BMW recommended method of putting car in neutral!!! BMW central East coast says try adjusting the cable. Car no longer gets stuck in park, but I’m informed it may happen again and they can fix it for another $1091.36.
Picked up the car July 30th and paid $5600 and change and it hasn’t gone in park, yet! Never again!
My conclusion is BMW dealer mechanics are used to working on late model cars under warranty!