Thread: M30b35 low engine vaccum. Suspecting valves are too tight

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i

M30b35 low engine vaccum. Suspecting valves are too tight

I知 trying to chase down a rough idle on my car. I checked for vaccum leaks (none found) and a vaccum gauge says 12-13 inches of Mercury in park at idle and 10 in drive. I had the headgasket and head redone and I知 suspecting the valve lash is off. When I知 driving car runs great minus a small hesitation on takeoff. Before I did the headgasket the car ran smooth as glass. Any ideas? I got 201,000 on it

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    Only time I have experienced a stumble coming off idle, was after installing a parts store distributor cap. The damn thing had a hairline crack in the plastic housing, and would arc externally periodically.

The Bosch replacement (and its Bosch replacement) have been flawless in their operation.

I could hear the arc much more readily than I could see it.

Maybe your dizzy cap was dropped and cracked?

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    Dizzy is new

- - - Updated - - -

Dizzy is new

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    Mine was too. Hopefully yours is of better quality than that piece of garbage was. I know I will only use OEM parts myself.

If you suspect valve lash, you could always verify to rule it out. Take a couple hours, but not difficult.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Then check the valve lash.
    In my experience they like the looser end of the range. Too tight will cause rough running and in some cases burnt valves.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    That’s what I’m doing Monday at a shop I don’t feel confident trying it myself

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    Shop did the valve lash yesterday. The engine does tick a little bit which is not a big problem for me but now she runs like a top and it has more power

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by kapicarules View Post
    Shop did the valve lash yesterday. The engine does tick a little bit which is not a big problem for me but now she runs like a top and it has more power
    It is sometimes tough to get it right with older engines having worn lash adjusters. I've found measuring at the cam rather than at the valve stem as is customary makes adjustment easier.
    A tick won't hurt it.
    Curious as to who did the job as I am local to you.

Even thirty plus years ago a very few engines required this sort of maintenance so sadly it gets neglected more often than not.
    Last edited by ross1; 08-09-2022 at 11:06 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    R&M auto performance auto care in Palatine. It’s located on rand road across the street from the Palatine Walmart on rand road. Their phone number is 847-907-9855. I paid 180 but it depends on what motor you got and how difficult the job is.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by kapicarules View Post
    R&M auto performance auto care in Palatine. It’s located on rand road across the street from the Palatine Walmart on rand road. Their phone number is 847-907-9855. I paid 180 but it depends on what motor you got and how difficult the job is.
    Thanks, I'm not familiar with them but know the spot.