Thread: Touring 3rd brake light harness

My Cars
    2001 525iT

Touring 3rd brake light harness

I’m working on splicing in new wires at the hatch hinge area, but I don’t know where to splice in the high stop light wires at the light end. There’s not really enough wire left at the hinge to connect to, so I was hoping to run all new wire from the boot on the D pillar to the light itself. The harness seems to run through the spoiler from the hinge area to the light, but it’s secured there and I can’t tell how.

Do I need to remove the spoiler from the glass? I imagine that would be difficult depending on how it’s glued.

I believe the replacement harness (63258359099) is made to run the entire length without splicing, as it appears to have the connectors for the d pillar at the one end, and the spades for the brake light at the other. But I’m not sure how you are supposed to actually install it. Any tips would be appreciated.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Neither the spoiler nor the brakelight are glued, but screwed in from inside the glass. I'd remove the brakelight to splice to its wires, and check all the bulbs WIT.

I recommend replacing just the length of wiring at the break point, perhaps 10-15cm, using spade or post connectors so that when the same section of wiring breaks again, you can simply unplug the broken section and plug in a new length of generic wire with connectors, no need for further soldering, removing trim, and the rest of the tedium involved in running a new harness through the D pillars.

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    On my touring, the bolts were some sort of two pin flat head screw. I had to use an old socket and grind out the walls to leave just two pins to turn the screws. Crude but it worked.