Thread: Leather dashboard repair/replace

My Cars
    2012 BMW Z4, 2022 Audi Q

Leather dashboard repair/replace

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum having just purchased a 2012 35is. I love it, best car I've ever owned. In general the wear and tear is pretty good for a ten year old car, but the leather dashboard right by the windscreen has started to peel back.

From my research this seems to be a common problem that is very difficult to address. Reason being that this area is attached to the whole dash unit. Therefore, very difficult to take out and replace. Also difficult to get at and try to stretch and reattach the existing leather. Add to that the cost of an entirely new dash is quite expensive.

Seems like the best option is to buy a new piece of leather (found one that looks good on eBay for about $350) and replace it while still in the car.

Has anyone out there done this? Or maybe direct me to an old thread on this issue. Basically what I'd like to know is, what would be good products for getting the old piece off and then adhesive for the new piece. A YouTube would be amazing. Thanks in advance....

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    I used to live in the New Orleans area. While there I owned a BMW 328IC, a 97. For you dash problem, you might want to check out a good Trim Shop in your area. I was lucky enough to find a guy, near the airport. The business name is "Alden's Trim Shop" He did some great work on my BMWs rag top. He then dealt with high end German cars. You may want to try him, I know he has a lot of experience with Auto Trim.

My Cars
    2012 BMW Z4, 2022 Audi Q
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely go talk to him.

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    How did you make out talking Alden about your dashboard peeling back? One other suggestion would be to look at a spray can of 3M adhesive. It comes with a straw like sprayer. Just bend the straw, but don't kink it. Spray a little of the adhesive along the peeled up dash cover and roll it down with a small wooden roller. You may get a 1 inch roller at the wall paper section at Home Depot, or a wall paper store. Just a try this option.

My Cars
    2012 BMW Z4, 2022 Audi Q
    Alden wouldn't touch it, nor would any other of the shops I called (the leather has shrunk is the issue and they don't feel comfortable trying to stretch it without having good access to it). They would mess with it if I took the whole dash out, but at that point I'd rather just buy a new unit. I'm waiting to get my title and at that point go talk to the local BMW dealer about this and some other issues. Figure they might have some advice. If not, I like your idea with a roller and spray adhesive. Might not be a perfect fit but could at least get the wrinkles out so it's not so obvious. Thanks for checking in.