Thread: Code Out Adaptive Headlight Option (with xenon)

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 Convertible

Code Out Adaptive Headlight Option (with xenon)

To begin: place me in the category: Newbie...no experience necessary. My recent purchase: 2011 328 Convertible. Has the adaptive Headlight Malfunction icon permanently tattooed to the inst. cluster. Read a lot of posts and understand that coding the function out is a distinct possibility but you better well understand what you're doing, because if an error is made, many more insoluble problems can result I will need to find someone to perform this (but never a dealer) and I've been down the road with people who are supposed to know and don't , ending up with my $$$ in their cash drawer and me, still with the problem. I also know that if you search long and hard enough you will find the person(independent) with the ability and correct information. So my question is: how would you advise me to go about this? I live in Tucson, a very backward town for sophisticated, knowledgeable BMW shops, but I will travel to Phoenix 125 miles for the right answers. Thank you in advance for whatever information you may share.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Don't be too hasty here. You might be making an error to code the adaptive lights out, as opposed to curing whatever it is that ails them. When you start the car in the dark, you can observe the lights move left/right/up/down and then settle in on a Home Position. Place a towel over the left side, then repeat for the right, and observe if there are any differences in the search for Home Position. The light that is not doing the up/down/left/right thing is the one you want to investigate. The thing with Adaptive Lights is that they move to follow the steering wheel. They also aim themselves to accommodate going up or downhill. Adaptive Headlamps are pretty cool, and usually the trouble is usually the motors. Sometimes it's just the linkage has come undone and the search for Home Position fails.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 Convertible

Code out adaptive headlights

Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Don't be too hasty here. You might be making an error to code the adaptive lights out, as opposed to curing whatever it is that ails them. When you start the car in the dark, you can observe the lights move left/right/up/down and then settle in on a Home Position. Place a towel over the left side, then repeat for the right, and observe if there are any differences in the search for Home Position. The light that is not doing the up/down/left/right thing is the one you want to investigate. The thing with Adaptive Lights is that they move to follow the steering wheel. They also aim themselves to accommodate going up or downhill. Adaptive Headlamps are pretty cool, and usually the trouble is usually the motors. Sometimes it's just the linkage has come undone and the search for Home Position fails.

Thanks for this. Had this function on the Lexus too. Honestly, never used it, don't care about it; the expense for repair ($1000 and up) My car is a 2011 and it makes no sense to replace one without doing both. Utube videos show very well how to DIY and there are inexpensive (China) components that I have not heard one good thing about. So the cost V. benefit doesn't work. Even for used components. If I get rid of the annoying warning light, I'll be a happy guy. Have an appointment today with our local Little Germany who are telling me they can do it. Stay tuned.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 Convertible
    Decided to follow your advice and purchased a new OEM module from ebay. Could not get anywhere with coding out. The testing by L'l Germany by swapping left and right and the up/down motion by the right side confirms it is the left module. Now it's my dumb a$$ under the car to make it happen.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 Convertible
    L'l Germany diagnostic turned out to be bogus. Replaced Left module (no help) and then right (no help) Now I'm getting left/right, up/down motions - then return to center; followed by a R to Left motion on Passenger H/L only. Still a failure icon on the dash and the AHL function does not operate. The motions as described tell me the stepper motors are working. I got good access through the wheel wells. The module is clear and accessible underneath and the passenger side actually has a removable panel for the same access so you don't need remove the wheel well (4 screws for the panel) (Why not the Driver side too?) The problem with this is you have no access to the top of the headlight assembly, if you need that. I read somewhere the driver side works differently so as to not blind oncoming drivers. And reading many Utube and Bimmerfest posts, some are saying the modules have to be programmed to your VIN Number. Then you can watch a Utube showing this repair that solves the issue. What am I missing here?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 Convertible
    BTW: Called every independent BMW shop in Tucson and Phoenix. No one will do the Code Out. Looks like I led myself down the rabbit hole on this one....

My Cars
    BMW 2014 528I
    Hi - How to turn off these warning lights using Bimmercode app:
    1. Adaptive headlight malfunction
    2. Lighting system: Front left malfunction
    3. Headlamp vertical aim control malfunction.

Or is there any way to trun off these wanring lights in Dashboard / Bimmer code - Highly appreciate your insights and comments.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328 Convertible
    I found the needle in the haystack: and ex BMW Tech in Phoenix with BMW software. Made appointment. Drove there this AM. In less than 5 minutes he coded out the adaptive headlights. Not fixed but problem solved for me! He also isolated the error code and it was not the module. He said he has done about 50 of these....a very common and recurring problem. I found him through a BMW racing concern, someone who cared enough to help who gave me the referral.