Thread: Z4 Won’t start

My Cars
    Z4 (E89) 3.5iS

Z4 Won’t start

Hey, first post ever. I have a 2016 E89 with 6K miles. The car won’t start with the key fob in the ignition slot. All dash lights and blower work but nothing when I press the start button. New car battery 5/22 and new fob batteries. 1 fob is recognized but still nothing when I press the start button. 2nd fob is not recognized (indicated by slashed key display) but did work in the ignition slot until today. Need help neither key is working.
    Thanks

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    Don't forget to put your foot on the break when pressing the start button. Did you register the battery to the car? Do have a scan tool, with BMW software installed?
    Is there a nearby Independent or Indy shop? Hope this works out for you.

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfwooder View Post
    Don't forget to put your foot on the break when pressing the start button. Did you register the battery to the car? Do have a scan tool, with BMW software installed?
    Is there a nearby Independent or Indy shop? Hope this works out for you.
    Have you found out why your would not start? Also, what was the fix? It's been a while, are you on the road yet?

My Cars
    Tacoma, Panamera, Maver
    I'm a one day owner of an E89. I had some wonky issues trying to start the car today. It arrived on a trailer last night. The seller advised that the car needed a good run due to having been stored for some period.

I tested the battery with a standard tester finding it was weak and due to replacement which I'll do tomorrow. I did get it going by jumping to the battery from a portable jump starter and enjoyed a 100 mile run including a great lunch with my wife who is pleasantly impressed with the car. I am unable to replace the battery myself because I can't re-program or preserve the computer settings. I'm *assuming* that's needed due to the complex nature of the car.

In my German car and bike experience, when anything even vaguely electric goes wonky, look to the battery first.