Thread: Help and advice needed

My Cars
    BMW 1 series Msport 118i

Help and advice needed

Hi All
    I am new to the forum-and to BMW cars.I have just acquired a lovely 2007 1 series 118i M sport and although I love the car it has a couple of issues I need some help with and I`m hoping you guys can give me some advice.
    It has a very
    noisy,whiny diff which I intend to replace with a second hand one.The trouble is there seem to be so many variants and ratios I dont know which one I need.There are E numbers and F numbers involved and I dont know how to identify which one my car is.Can anyone tell me how to find out to make sure I buy the correct diff for the car.

Seco
    ndly I get the oil pressure light coming on intermittently.It tends to be when I go around a bend or pull up somewhere.The oil level is fine and the light resets.I had my local BMW garage do a diagnosis-they charged me 100 quid to tell me it has an oil leak which I hadn`t seen as it was dripping on to the engine tray-and to investigate further they wanted another 600 quid!!

A
    nyone had a similar problem who can give any advice please.All help greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Plug the VIN into realoem.com and you should be able to find the ratio of the diff there (look under "Final Drive"). As far as the oil pressure issue, find a better shop. It should take that much to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what's actually going on. Could be as simple as the sender failing.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne