RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 325i dies after making U-Turn - please help!

My Cars
    325I, 2001

Unhappy 325i dies after making U-Turn - please help!

If anyone else here has encountered this problem, please advise. thanks!

I have a 2001 325I, the power shuts off, all my check engine type lights light up after I make a uturn. This has happened twice in the past few months, does not occur after every U turn that I make. I took it into the dealership, they reprogramed something, and told me its fixed. Well it's NOT. I am able to start the car right back up after the car dies, as if nothing has happened.

I've been told by other BMW owners that my steering wheel is incredibly rough, sticky, lots of friction, hard to steer especially when going at a low speed. I'm not sure if this has anythingn to do with my car dying on the road!. I've consulted several dealerships regarding my issues, and nothing seemed to help. If anyone knows anything about my issues, please let me know, thinking of selling this car in case it doesn't get finally resolved.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all your insights!

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    stop making u turns!!!

two things come to mind, i would look into the wiring harness in the steering column, go compare your steering another at a dealership. its possible that the wiring was routed wrong and the xtrem turning pulls and tugs on the connector. 2 check you batter cable, or the battery it self, it maybe loose. good luck

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    I'd say something might be shorting out when u turn your steering wheel that extreme amount that's required for a u-turn, and it could be something's hooked onto it as well (as stated above). Have you tried looking at your steering wheel column area? I don't see how this has anything to do with the computer :/

My Cars
    93 BMW 325i, 99 BMW 528iT
    If others say your steering is harder to turn, you may have a problem with your power steering pump. When you turn the wheel ALL THE WAY and hit the stop, you increase the load on the pump. If the pump is too hard for the engine to turn, it may stall if you have no throttle applied.
    BMWCCA Member #364761 www.bmwcca.org
    A Mercedes can also bring driving pleasure.....