Thread: Advice needed: Fix my 440xi or replace it

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4

Advice needed: Fix my 440xi or replace it

Definitely a first world problem, but I would appreciate thoughts.

I have a 2017 440xi convertible I bought off lease in 2020, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I have 14 months or 30k miles left on the warranty (I extended it when I bought the car) and the car now needs all four tires replaced, so about $2,000. It has 69,000 miles. I have learned that I don't want to own a BMW without a warranty, so I'm selling this car in no more than 13 months. I also need to transfer the registration, so that's going to cost me an additional $500 which we pay whenever we put a new car on the road.

I'm now looking at a 2022 230i convertible (so the 2.0L engine) equipped simerly to my 440xi, but it's rear wheel drive and lacks the heads up display. I have an offer of $30k for my car (from a dealer, as is), and this 230i can be had for about $58,500. So, I'm trying to decide if I should get the new tires and drive the car for 14 more months, or if I should replace it now while it still has value. The new car would be less of a car in some ways, but it would be brand new and I'm sure I would enjoy it. Yes I could get another 440xi but that's about $75k and I don't want to spend that right now. Yes I'll miss the power but I'll still have the drop top and a great looking car.

I have no idea how much value my car will have in another year, and I'll probably add 15k miles to it. I'm mostly trying to decide if this car is worth putting another $2,500 into for one more year.

Thanks...

My Cars
    bmw m440IX conv
    please explain about owning a BMW without a warranty has your car had that many problems? or do you fell BMW are unreliable ?

My Cars
    2011 Toyota Rav 4
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    please explain about owning a BMW without a warranty has your car had that many problems? or do you fell BMW are unreliable ?
    I have owned two BMWs, this one and a 330i years ago. I have never got out of a dealer service department for under about $2,200. In this particular car, the audio amp has had to be replace twice, because it's located in a spot in the trunk where water pools and the can't seem to fix the small leak. Just a few weeks ago, the PVC valve failed. In most cars that's a $100 issue, but in this car the PCV valve is integral to the rocker cover assembly, so that was #2,300. Fortunately the warranty has covered all this.

My Cars
    bmw m440IX conv
    i understand, owned infinite for 30 years before i bought 2022 bmw never had an out of pocket repair, ran those cars well past the warranty