Thread: Fuel cell and large brakes for race car E36

My Cars
    92 325I with LS swap

Fuel cell and large brakes for race car E36

I need recommendations for big brake kits and largest fuel cell possible for my 92 325. Would like to know if there’s good brake kits that fit 17” APEX wheels I do endurance racing

My Cars
    E36 M3 Track ho, X35d
    Essex brakes. They should have an AP kit that will fit under 17's. Quality race components.

You'll need to figure where you want to mount a fuel cell and how much room you have for the size.
    Most of the Stock car and Dirt race places have them. I'd start with Speedway, Pit stop USA, Etc.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    The largest common BBK rotor diameter that fits within a 17” wheel is 332mm.

You’ll likely need to run a front wheel spacer to get clearance between the inner faces of the wheel spokes and the BBK caliper. How much spacer depends on the wheel design. For my Kosei K1 wheels, which have the spokes set way to the outside, technically no spacer is required. However the static clearance is so small that for track use I run 4mm “just in case” spacers to allow for wheel flex. Stock BMW wheels may need front spacers in the 12-15mm range with a BBK, depending on the specific wheel model.

You may not wish to go to the same trouble and expense for the rears. However as I recall the stock E36 325 rear rotors are unvented, plus they don’t get much cooling airflow back there. There are vented rear brakes from other E36 models that will bolt right on.

Neil
    96 M3 — 4 x 332mm StopTech ST40 BBK
    Last edited by NeilM; 07-10-2022 at 05:42 PM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    What NeilM said!
    I test fit my brembo calipers with my 17" Apex rims and an adapter for a 345mm rotor, and it cleared by only mm or so, not enough clearance that I'd actually run them.
    They have about 1-2mm clearance to the inside face of the Apex rims without spacers (I run 15mm spacers).

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    The Wilwood SL6 calipers and 332mm discs work fine under most 17" as well. Pad shape is super cheap compared to BMW pad shapes as well.

For a fuel cell, we have a 30 gal ATL in our e36 (also for endurence). It's in the trunk, sitting on some fabricated bars. Dry break fill in the trunk.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    The Wilwood SL6 calipers and 332mm discs work fine under most 17" as well. Pad shape is super cheap compared to BMW pad shapes as well.

For a fuel cell, we have a 30 gal ATL in our e36 (also for endurence). It's in the trunk, sitting on some fabricated bars. Dry break fill in the trunk.
    I wish I'd bought the Wilwood SL6 calipers years ago when I first thought about it. I would have more than recouped the cost by now just on pad savings.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    I found a source for BBKs on this forum years ago but did not buy anything from them...yet. I recently started looking at a 4 piston front kit for the front on my HPDE E36.

http://store.revolutionbrake.com
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I exchanged emails with revolution brake a few years ago, and at that time, all his E36 kits were for the lug mount (non-radial) Wilwood calipers, also not with the common size race pad. Honestly, I'm not sure radial mount calipers matter when you're adding an adapter to mount to a non-radial spindle, but the pad size matters for cost and availability.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I have never been pleased with aftearket wilwood kits versus OEM. It could be entirely user error but pedal feel was never firm and shimmy issues abound. I believe the pad shape is 7420 or something fairly cheap so wished I could have got them to work well.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Interesting. Think it has to do with their adapters? It seems even though they provide adapters, some washers are required to get the exact right offsets and spacing.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Interesting. Think it has to do with their adapters? It seems even though they provide adapters, some washers are required to get the exact right offsets and spacing.
    Yeah, the base e36 kit uses the narrow SL6 calipers, that use the 16mm pads. I bought my bits all ala cart, including the full width SL6 calipers so I could use the 20mm pads. On our e46, it works perfectly with ARC-8 17x9 wheels (15mm spacer). I really like it ... not much different from the Brembo GT-R kit it replaced, and WAAAAYYY cheaper on discs and pads.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Honestly my personal experience is probably out of date (based on the older 4 pot wilwood calipers and brackets). Didn't have the chance to push the 6pot kits before the racecar went to storage so ScotcH has more recent experience than I...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I don't think 6 pots are needed, but if that particular caliper works better for other reasons, that's good to know.
    If I installed any of those and they shimmied or had pedal feel problems, the first thing I'd do is get rid of the washers and make an actual form fit spacer. It wouldn't surprise me if those washers allow just the slightest bit of "wiggle" under load.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I don't think 6 pots are needed, but if that particular caliper works better for other reasons, that's good to know.
    If I installed any of those and they shimmied or had pedal feel problems, the first thing I'd do is get rid of the washers and make an actual form fit spacer. It wouldn't surprise me if those washers allow just the slightest bit of "wiggle" under load.
    Agreed. I am leery about any caliper upgrades that don't have a famous brand name selling them TBH given the issues I and others in my circle have had with cheaper alternatives.

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Proper budget: Essex (AP), shit budget: adapt an E90 348mm kit. 335i's shipped with 17" wheels. There's enough thermal mass in that rotor that proper ducting and pads should give you 24h survivability.

With fixed calipers generally needing less space, I think you should be able to fit 355mm rotors under an Apex 17". Don't think you actually need that much for a lightweight M50 car however.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    One has to be careful of bias when adapting calipers from car A to car B. It's often not right.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Budget is a huge factor here. Particularly with the fuel cell. There are so many small additions beyond the cell itself that it adds up very quickly.

But to answer the question directly
    • Money no object: AP Radi-CAL brakes (the CP9668 caliper; 25mm pads) and a Merin fuel cell in the stock location.
    • Moderate: AP CP8350 caliper via Essex; ATL wheel well cell.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Hey BHR! Great to see at Summit Point a few weeks ago, hope you had a good weekend. I should have shown you the local line.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Yeah man, was great to meet you!

Weekend was excellent! Really enjoyed the track; already looking forward to the event next year.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    I exchanged emails with revolution brake a few years ago, and at that time, all his E36 kits were for the lug mount (non-radial) Wilwood calipers, also not with the common size race pad. Honestly, I'm not sure radial mount calipers matter when you're adding an adapter to mount to a non-radial spindle, but the pad size matters for cost and availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    I have never been pleased with aftearket wilwood kits versus OEM. It could be entirely user error but pedal feel was never firm and shimmy issues abound. I believe the pad shape is 7420 or something fairly cheap so wished I could have got them to work well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Yeah, the base e36 kit uses the narrow SL6 calipers, that use the 16mm pads. I bought my bits all ala cart, including the full width SL6 calipers so I could use the 20mm pads. On our e46, it works perfectly with ARC-8 17x9 wheels (15mm spacer). I really like it ... not much different from the Brembo GT-R kit it replaced, and WAAAAYYY cheaper on discs and pads.
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    Honestly my personal experience is probably out of date (based on the older 4 pot wilwood calipers and brackets). Didn't have the chance to push the 6pot kits before the racecar went to storage so ScotcH has more recent experience than I...
    Thanks for the responses!

I found this kit, it is radial mount and the 7416 pads have many different compounds.

Thoughts?
    https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...=M3&option=All
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1995 M3
    That's a solid kit.
    I'd personally slightly prefer the 7420 pad (more compound choices, longer life, but less wheel/spacer options).
    Remember that this kit will change your f/r bias.

You can call Wilwood and ala-cart exactly what you want. IIRC, their kits don't discount compared to the sum of parts.
    Consider a superlight 4-pot if you want to save a few bucks (including when you rebuild) and get just as good braking.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Agreed with aero. 7420 and superlight was the budget way to get there and pads are cheap....

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'll add a caveat to my "4-pot" statement. It's been a while since I've dug into the details, but your f/r bias is based on total piston area, and that may push you towards a 4 pot or 6 pot caliper. They have different piston area options.
    Unfortunately, you can't assume that front kit as listed gives you the bias you want.