Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: The very beginnings of clear coat peeling...What options?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i

The very beginnings of clear coat peeling...What options?

Hey all.

Overall the condition of my cars paint is good. It's a 2000, but for the most part the paint does not have many issues asides from swirls.

However, on the rear of the car, particularly under the tail lights, and then again on the top of the rear bumper, there seems to be the beginnings of clear coat failure. All there is no is some slight raised edges where it's beginning to peel. No fade or anything on the paint.

Now my question is, is it possible to just sand/trim those raised edges, even it out and then spray a layer of clear coat on top? Or is there something more that needs to be done.

I just want to try and minimize this where it's at and not have it spread.

My car stays garaged and is never in the sun, but it's damn hot where I'm at and the inside of the garage is baking.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Dang nearly 500 views and no one had a similar issue or experience with this? Lol

My Cars
    93 e32
    Really the only way to fix is to sand the whole panel or wherever there is a good place to transition and clear that whole area. Spotting small areas just won't look good and you create another edge to possibly peel.

Quote Originally Posted by blauvelvet View Post
    Dang nearly 500 views and no one had a similar issue or experience with this? Lol

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    ^ is mostly right.
    You could scuff the area and blow some paint on which will at least slow it down by sealing the edges of the failure. It won't be an invisible "repair".

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by nedc View Post
    Really the only way to fix is to sand the whole panel or wherever there is a good place to transition and clear that whole area. Spotting small areas just won't look good and you create another edge to possibly peel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    ^ is mostly right.
    You could scuff the area and blow some paint on which will at least slow it down by sealing the edges of the failure. It won't be an invisible "repair".
    Hey guys so been away for a while and just now getting back to this.

Here are some pictures of the affected area.

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 3.07.29 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 10.49.50 AM.jpg

As you can see the damage is right along that edge. My plan was to pop out the tail light, mask off under that area, then sand the flaking bits and even out the area, then spray some clear and even it out again. Hoping it will fix the issue and not be too noticeable. Is it really necessary to do the whole panel with what's shown?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Looks like you could get away with taping just past the bend, where that surface goes mostly horizontal, then paint the narrow strip. That bend will more easily allow you to hide the transition from the new to old and keep you from having to paint more of that piece. It likely won't look perfect, but should slow down the clear coat failure process.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Could you just spray the area with failing clear coat with new clear , and polish it out , to blend the new with the old ?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Yeah .

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …