Thread: E46 Control Arms

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan

E46 Control Arms

So I've been a long time owner of an e36 but just recently purchased a 2003 e46 M3, European spec complete with right hand drive. I purchased this to keep in Barbados to drive when I vacation there. I had no intentions for an M3, I actually wanted a simple E36 convertible but when this e46 came up for sale and was only $4k more than my budget, I had to pull the trigger. I'm completely a noob to this chassis so forgive me if my questions are stupid:

Can you replaced the ball joints on the control arms or do you have to buy a brand new set? I have to replace some items and the control arms and steering rack are at the top of the list.

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    You'll have to replace each control arm.
    I believe Meyle now market front control arms that are designed to allow the replacement of ball joints, but I doubt if those new style arms are on your chassis.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    You know I thought so but I just wanted to be sure. I believe the ones with the replaceable ball joints are for e46s except M3s

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    If you only want to do it once, I would just stick with Lemforder as they are OE IIRC. Don't forget to do the FCAB's at the same time, you can either replace the whole thing or just the bushing if you have a press handy.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    I have a "Genuine BMW" control arm on the left side .
    I have a Lemforder on the right side because the more expensive BMW arm was not available at the time.
    I bought the Lemforder as the internet said it's a "genuine BMW" control arm with the factory casting ground off.
    It appears to be so, but when I attempted to manipulate the outer balljoints of each arm by hand, the BMW balljoint would bare move, while the lemforder was easy to manipulate.
    Imo, stricter quality control for the selection of the BMW parts.

There is a vid on Youtube regarding the build of a South African based E46 M3.
    They displayed Meyle heavy duty front control arms that had more meat around the balljoints.
    The arms were touted as being designed to have replacable ball joints.
    Correction:
    I found the vid . The chassis is NOT an M3.
    Last edited by mmark.; 07-15-2022 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Correction.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    If you only want to do it once, I would just stick with Lemforder as they are OE IIRC. Don't forget to do the FCAB's at the same time, you can either replace the whole thing or just the bushing if you have a press handy.
    I have to replace the control arms (bushings/ball joints, everything). Was hoping that I didn't have to drop $700 on a set but I can't seem to find a cheaper alternative for replacing the wearable parts.

The vehicle is stored overseas where parts are marked up considerably and I'd have to pay for labor as all of my tools are here at home. I'm really trying to minimize a lot of upfront costs on the car

Also, expect me to be on here with a ton of stupid questions as I'm an e36 owner and just got the e46
    Last edited by ryanmkincaid; 07-20-2022 at 05:32 PM.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Ask away, the only "dumb" question is the one not asked.

Pity that you have pay a shop to do the work, might be worth getting a small tool set and save some money.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member