Thread: Junkyard bilstein B8s and presumably dinan springs? Photos inside!

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP

Junkyard bilstein B8s and presumably dinan springs? Photos inside!

So I was able to pull some bilsteins and dark blue springs off of an M5 local to me and I assumed they may be HR sport, but after seeing ride height and the ride being very mild (slightly firmer than stock) I'm wondering if they're dinan springs?

No markings anywhere on any springs....I actually ended up using the entire M5 strut assembly up front with my own brakes. Fits great, seems to be the same part minus the knobs on the hub I had to grind down.

Dropped about 1 inch in front and maybe a 1/2 inch in back..hard to tell without measuring (i forgot) .not too aggressive and somehow exactly what I was looking for. before and after attached.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Deanx2009; 06-29-2022 at 10:35 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Good find! I personally find the Bilstein B6/B8's to be a bit too jarring for my tastes, but for nearly free it's a fine option (heck, I ran B6's for years because I got them for free from a buddy). Dinan springs were made by H&R back then, if I remember correctly. Just specced by Dinan to match up to either Bilsteins or Konis, which is what they used on their Dinan built cars.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Good find! I personally find the Bilstein B6/B8's to be a bit too jarring for my tastes, but for nearly free it's a fine option (heck, I ran B6's for years because I got them for free from a buddy). Dinan springs were made by H&R back then, if I remember correctly. Just specced by Dinan to match up to either Bilsteins or Konis, which is what they used on their Dinan built cars.
    Ahhh that makes sense. Haven't had any real harsh bumps to try it out on yet, but the ride is almost identical to the OEM replacements that were on the car...not sports or HDS.

I took it over some speed bumps and haven't bottomed out on the stops or felt anything too firm..time will tell. I heard horror stories about the sports so I was very hesitant to try it, but for 160 for the set it seemed like it was worth it

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Anything good left on that M5. Saw that online, but figured car was probably gutted by now...

My Cars
    2003 6 spd 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    Anything good left on that M5. Saw that online, but figured car was probably gutted by now...
    Nope...I got the suspension to make the trip worth it. Apparently the engine trans and interior were all gone on day 1!!

Snagged headrests and ski pass through to sell for a fair price as well, figured they'd go to waste.

I need to set up alerts on pick n pull because that is the only way to really get ahead of the guys that always get the good stuff.