Thread: Another DSC ABS AWD Issue

My Cars
    535xi

2008 535xi e61 Another DSC ABS AWD Issue

Hi All, hoping you could please help me resolve my Christmas tree in July appearing on my e61 535xi gage cluster. I bought the car dead and am slowly fixing issues. So here are the 15 faults codes:
    0054C6 VTG: Oil Wear
    0055C3 VTG: AWD Limp-home control activated
    005EBA DSC: Steering-Angle Sensor, plausibility
    0063D0 LDM: Interface, long-range sensor
    0063DD LDM: Interface DSC
    006E92 DSC: Control unit coding: no repair measure available
    009C54 IHKA: AUC sensor
    009C55 IHKA: Fogging sensor
    009CC5 LM: No Message, LIN (RLS)
    00CF2B No Message from the longitudinal dynamics management, receiver EGS, transmitter GWS/LDM
    00D004 LDM: PT-CAN communication fault
    00D026 Message error (DSC, 0xE1) receiver LDM, transmitter DSC
    00D17C LRR: CAN message with fault received
    00E09A Message (speed), receiver gear selector switch, transmitter DSC

I did replace the DSC after INPA could not talk to it, and it appears previous owner may have as well b/s all the hydraulic lines were not neatly in their guides. I then realized this car has ACC and maybe I got the wrong DSC so I got a second one with eBAY describing it as ACC but no luck...All three DSC part numbers do not match what is on realOEM but I was told the last DSC came from a car with ACC so I tried it. I see some sources say all DSCs after 2008 are intrinsically ACC compatible and others saying the DSC needs to say ACC on it. Also on a e90 forum a guy had 006E92 and it went away after coding modules... I thought that was strange. Looking at NCS does my FA number look short?

FA E61_#0907&LCGE%0300*PT73$1CA$203$205$248$255$2SC$2

Get coded: CTUNE,CAUDI,CAPPL,CHOST,CGATE,SZM,DWAI,DWAS,LMA,CA S,SZL,IHKJA,KOMBI,RLS,ACC,LDM,SHD,PDC,2LSMC,2RSMC, EHC,HKL,,FAS,BFS,EKP

DSC part# when purchased: 3451 6775992-01
    DSC part# installed now: 3451 6783366-06

Through me a rope! I'm down in a hole!! VTG oil change would be a good start. Thank You
    Last edited by BeamMeUpSeattle; 07-06-2022 at 06:58 PM.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by BeamMeUpSeattle View Post
    .........005EBA DSC: Steering-Angle Sensor, plausibility.........
    I would start here. The DSC and AWD can't work if they don't know what direction the driver is trying to go.
    There is a youtube video on cleaning the SAS. This fixed multiple error msg's in my X5.

My Cars
    535xi
    I did do the steering wheel angle calibration successfully with ista+ And then watched the sensor input change with the wheel position but yeah, implausible, I’ll do the cleaning procedure and hope for the best. VTG oil arrives on the 9th! Thank you ��

DSC pic; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YFv...w?usp=drivesdk
    AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV warning; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DZp...w?usp=drivesdk
    and https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qzA...w?usp=drivesdk

My Cars
    535xi
    Cleaned the SAS and got some discoloration of my white cloth but not much at all. Put it all back together and did the calibration. The SAS plausibly is gone but not the general AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV warnings. I’ll take it on a test drive and see check for codes again hopefully the SAS plausibility stays away. Can anyone educate me about the LDM? That is showing up in a lot of the fault codes.
    SAS pics:https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...nFpE_FRri8Ligq

My Cars
    535xi
    That’s what the clock spring arrow is for! The you tube guy said it was for the blue dot on the steering column, my blue dot was way off so I thought oh well…then My signal was not clearing when I took left turns. In response to signal issue, I tried to ista+ calibrate it and it wouldn’t calibrate, just said it’s probably installed wrong. When I took it back apart I found that I had this (link below) twisted by about 20deg. Shown in
    correct position here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16_M...w?usp=drivesdk
    zoom out:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VJE...w?usp=drivesdk

My Cars
    535xi
    Here are the latest fault codes after the SAS cleaning and VTG oil change. What do you think? Help!! I had a co-pilot watch all the DSC sensor inputs while driving around the neighborhood and everything had values: Lateral acceleration, wheel speed sensors, etc.
    VTG:https://drive.google.com/drive/folde..._35qeUFLPEYbZV

S 0108 No communication possible with: Luggage compartment lid module
    00D17C LRR: CAN message with fault value received
    00D026 Message error (DSC, 0xE1), receiver LDM, transmitter DSC
    00D004 LDM: PT-CAN communication fault
    00CF2B No message from longitudinal dynamics management, receiver EGS, transmitter GWS/LDM
    009CC5 LM: No message, LIN (RLS)
    0093C5 KGM: Central locking: Short circuit, lead ZV_MVR
    006E92 DSC: Control-unit coding: no repair measure available
    0063DD LDM: Interface DSC
    0063D0 LDM: Interface, long-range sensor
    0055C3 VTG: AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque.
    Last edited by BeamMeUpSeattle; 07-16-2022 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Link

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Good to see the SAS plausibility error is gone.
    Do you know for certain if ACC requires a different DSC module?
    Were you able to code the DSC module with NCSExpert?
    Does your ABS work? Easy to test on gravel or grass.
    INPA has ability to see all modules and display the VIN they are programmed with.
    Having wrong VIN wasn't problem w/E39, but some claim it is an issue with E60.
    See attached. According to the ETK, the DSC module is the same w/ and w/o ACC.
    I also attached the supersession list of DSC module "repair kits". Unfortunately it doesn't translate to the PN of the module supplied when car was built.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pshovest; 07-16-2022 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    535xi
    I'm not certain that my car's ACC requires a different DSC but I'm guessing there was a transition period as the hardware developed where DSC's default hardware didn't have ACC capacity but now do. Still learning...speaking of which can ETK tell you what year car the part number belongs to? I got a DSC from ebay from a 2010 donor car but ista+ says its production date is 2007. Maybe somebody replaced the DSC in that 2010 car with a 2007 DSC. I think I'm projecting my issues; everyone must be replacing DSC's...lol. Anyway - WinKFP programming was done and the INPA UIF scan shows my VIN on the DSC. The newer DSC's have LDM integrated - on my UIF scan I get a LDM/ICM module at address 1C. My car was a very early LCI, maybe my LDM is still it's own module. idk...thanks for your help!

When I unplug my DSC and UIF scan I still see the LDM. I was expecting the LDM to go away. That means its a separate module?
    Last edited by BeamMeUpSeattle; 07-29-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correction

My Cars
    535xi
    I got my dashboard lights/codes to go away but not everything is working yet. I did the NCS coding to clear the Christmas tree lights, I had read in ista+ the DSC configures itself based on car options and not being that familiar I didn't want to make mistakes...but no guts no glory! After the coding I recalibrated SAS and the long-range sensor and both procedures finished without errors. Here are the codes below; SAS plausibility is back:

S 0108 No communication possible with: Luggage compartment lid module
    005EBA DSC: Steering-angle sensor, plausibility
    0062D6 LDM: interface DSC
    006DAD DSC: Hydraulic unit, pressure sensor: internal
    006DB7 DSC: Hydraulic unit, pressure sensor: internal
    009CC5 LM: No message, LIN (RLS)

Now my breaks work well but could the pressure sensor errors just be air in the break line?

When I try to activate cruise, I get ACC malfunction now.

Also, I should mention I had a ton more codes after I did NCS coding on the DSC. The codes were related to the DSC not seeing the LDM measured values. I used WinKFP and pushed upgrades to the LDM and ACC and those faults seem to quiet down.

Thanks for all and any input!!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Steering angle plausibility will disable DSC and cause 4x4 errors.
    Run the ISTA test plan for the LDM & DSC codes.
    I wonder if the programming in the replacement DSC is not compatible with the version in the LDM. In this case you could reprogram both modules with WinKFP and then default code both to your VO.
    The LDM module is A144b and located behind the glovebox. It is powered by fuse F70 in the rear power distribution panel.
    Here's the wiring diagram for the LDM.
    If you browse around under service functions in ISTA, you may be able to view steering angle output and find some LDM/DSC tests.

Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    535xi
    That helped, thank you very much!

Last codes are:
    0062D6 LDM: Interface DSC
    S 0108 No communication possible: Luggage compartment lid module
    009C54 IHKA:AUC sensor

I read through the 0062D6 test plan but am still unsure of next steps. The test plan seemed to blame it on the DSC and said to clear the DSC errors, but the DSC is error free.

From Test Plan:
    ""DSC interface:======================================

Information from the DSC is required for the LDM function.
    The fault code is entered when the DSC sends a substitute value or 'not valid' identifier instead of the necessary information.

The cause of this fault is not attributed to the LDM control unit.

Next:""

and

""An interface error is stored in the LDM control unit (see also test module on the right).

For the LDM function, information from partner control units is essential. The fault is entered if the relevant partner control unit (= interface to the LDM) sends a default value or invalid ID instead of the required information to the LDM and this impairs the LDM function. In this case, a fault code memory entry should also be made in the corresponding partner control unit.

For this fault, the cause does NOT lie in the LDM control unit or in the LDM software!

Possible causes of fault:1

- the relevant partner control unit is not yet operational

- the sensor system of the relevant partner control unit is defective

- general malfunction of the partner control unit

Read the fault code memory of the relevant partner control unit and continue troubleshooting according to test plan in the relevant partner control unit. Delete fault code in LDM control unit.""

My Cars
    535xi
    Well, I’m still not quite resolved here. Looking at my DSC codes there are still two dealing with internal hydraulic sensor faults. Thoughts?!! Do you think a poor bleed procedure could cause the fault? Should I do a brake fluid flush? Thanks!!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    If you haven't coded the replacement DSC module I would do so.
    Here's a DIY for "default coding" a used BMW module using NCSExpert. I wrote this for a problem with my E39 DSC module and have used it for the EKPS module in my E60 also. It's simple and quick. "Default coding" selects the options in the modules firmware that BMW delivered the car with.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...e-w-NCS-Expert
    On the 9th photo in 1st post, select DSC module. This will code the DSC module based on the options in your car, including the LDM feature.
    If there is a LDM module listed repeat the coding and select the LDM module.

Regarding the sensor codes, there is no harm in bleeding the brakes. I have no idea if this will help or not but it's easy to DIY.
    I would use contact cleaner on the DSC connector and exercise it by removing and reinstalling several times.
    I would find a dirt/gravel road and brake hard to engage the ABS. This will exercise the ABS unit and actuate the internal valves.
    If all fails I would look for a used ABS hyd unit on ebay or from a salvage yard.
    Last edited by pshovest; 10-14-2022 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    535xi
    Thank you! I did code the ABS unit and that got rid of the errors on the dash but it still had codes in inpa. I’ll try the cleaning and bleeding. I got a few ABS units I’ll try as well, before I understood NCS programming was required to remove the ‘internal fault’ code the ABS would generate I ended up with four…i told the eBay seller that the ABS coded with ‘internal fault’ and they refunded and I tried a different one…whoops sorry eBay seller. Should I swap them bleed or bleed then swap?!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Keep it simple....bleed the unit that's installed first.
    Did you activate the ABS while driving on sand/grass/gravel/wet road?

My Cars
    535xi
    Hi pshovest (or any other smart person)!! sorry to drop this thread but I’m back a year later still tinkering!! The ABS and AWD performed beautifully last winter. I went ahead and bought a new LDM module and I did completely flush and bleed but still not working. Everything has been coded. The DSC is still the same as last year and the part number is good according to realOEM. I am wondering about my FA number though - like the last part of the number is $2 - this is not even a code?! And none of the $CODE numbers are adaptive cruise control, what am I missing?!! I did the oil pan gasket and rod bearings this summer and took a 3 hr trip south and it would sure be nice to get the adaptive cruise working.
    Last edited by BeamMeUpSeattle; 10-30-2023 at 04:35 PM.

My Cars
    535xi
    You guys…how many times can I go to the well and come back thirsty…the well of used eBay DSC’s…I’m going on my 5th time I think. After playing with this car for over a year now I’m realizing I DO have a DSC without active cruise control. That would explain why the LDM does not receive an expected message and thus throws an error but the DSC is error free…so $150 bucks and fingers crossed. Anybody in the market for DSC 4x without adaptive cruise control? How about an LDM?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I never got much into coding my E62 535xi but had a friend help me with my E90 M3. The experienced guys know stuff like this. I wanted Euro traction control on that car and had to change a module to get it — SZL or something like that. Basically the switchgear around the steering column — turn signal and wiper stalks were part of it. I bought and installed a used one, which was from another model that used the same part, and he coded it. My guess is that adaptive cruise was a late option, probably like adaptive sway bars, and might only be on 2009/2010 E60/61.

My Cars
    2008 530 XDAT
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I never got much into coding my E62 535xi but had a friend help me with my E90 M3. The experienced guys know stuff like this. I wanted Euro traction control on that car and had to change a module to get it — SZL or something like that. Basically the switchgear around the steering column — turn signal and wiper stalks were part of it. I bought and installed a used one, which was from another model that used the same part, and he coded it. My guess is that adaptive cruise was a late option, probably like adaptive sway bars, and might only be on 2009/2010 E60/61.

My E61 LCI 530XD (March 2008) has adaptive cruise control. It stopped working though, a few months ago. That's why I'm looking for a solution on this forum for these fault codes:

00438D - Message error (request, wheel torque, drive train), DDE receiver, DSC /LDM transmitter

00D382 - No message LDM, receiver DSC, transmitter LDM
    00CF2B - No message from longitudinal dynamics management, receiver EGS, transmitter GWS/LDM
    0049F2 - DDE: Message (speed)
    0055C6 - Message (wheel speed) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC
    0055C3 - VTG: AWG limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque
    Last edited by ZiGG; 11-01-2023 at 05:18 PM.

My Cars
    535xi
    Zigg, I’m sorry to hear about your ACC going out. The errors seem to cascade too so it’s hard to know where to start but that wheel speed sensor might be the simplest one to verify as a first step. And I finally got the unicorn DSC 4wd with ACC! I found it on a European web site and was not sure I wasn’t giving my money away to some scammers but here it is!! Looks like its been banging around in the shelf for a while. Installing soon…
    Last edited by BeamMeUpSeattle; 01-12-2024 at 02:17 PM.