RM European Auto Parts

Thread: M50 Lifters

My Cars
    '92 525iT

M50 Lifters

Hello!

My M50 Non VANOS head is all out of shape and unusable and I am looking to get it replaced, thing is non VANOS heads (casting 1720840) here are rare to find nowadays, VANOS heads for the M50TU/M52 (casting 1738400) are more common and buying one wouldn't make me wait for a Non VANOS head to show up in the market (I missed one by 1 day, let's not talk about that...). With that said:

I have:
    - a complete M50 NV head

I can buy:
    - an M50TU/M52 head but it comes only with valves and springs or with nothing at all, depends on the seller

Two things I can think that would work (considering my lack of knowledge when it comes to cylinder head components):
    - M50NV's head internals (valves, valve stem seals, double springs, lifters, cam trays and cams and whatever else I am missing) on the 1738400 head - question here is: the valve stems are 7mm on the non VANOS and 6mm on the VANOS.
    - M50TU head with its valves, springs and retainers but with M50NV lifters and everything else - question here is: would the non VANOS lifters work with the 6mm stemmed valves? I know part numbers are different for the lifters between the non VANOS and VANOS, but that's about it.

The objective is to keep it non VANOS, personal preference and it is the cheaper option to go with. VANOS conversion would mean me buying a harness (and finding one), ECU and complete head, which is almost never the case with the listings I have found on the German eBay.
    This frankenstein of a head would be mounted on a non VANOS M50, but everywhere I read about it, 1720840 and 1738400's are interchangeable.

If anyone can help me with this and/or teach me something, your input will be greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Member someguy2800 knows a lot about the interchangeable parts.

My Cars
    '92 525iT
    Anyone else?

My Cars
    86 325es
    the vanos and non vanos cam trays are the same. The lifters themselves are different but are the same external dimensions and are interchangeable. The non vanos lifters are about 10 grams heavier each but it will be fine at stock rev limit. You can put all your non vanos stuff in a vanos head and it will work fine. The vanos head has a slightly larger combustion chamber volume so you will be reducing your compression ratio slightly.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    '92 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    the vanos and non vanos cam trays are the same. The lifters themselves are different but are the same external dimensions and are interchangeable. The non vanos lifters are about 10 grams heavier each but it will be fine at stock rev limit. You can put all your non vanos stuff in a vanos head and it will work fine. The vanos head has a slightly larger combustion chamber volume so you will be reducing your compression ratio slightly.
    Thank you, that is music to my ears! Now off to buy one and swap things around.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Didn't read all here so please excuse me I've misunderstood your needs but I am reminded that I have a pair of cams, trays, lifters, etc. from a M52(seems you have access to a head needing these) sitting in boxes on a shelf that I have no need for.
    Would be reasonably priced but I have no control over shipping cost to Europe.
    PM if I can help.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 520i
    I want to buy a Camshaft tuning apparatus. How can I buy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by esoes06 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What is a "Camshaft Tuning Apparatus"?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Probably a timing jig.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I was thinking a "degree wheel" like they used to use on Chevy V-8's?

Whatever is needed, we are going to need more information about the car. Is this an M20 engine? M50? M50TU? Last 7 digits of the VIN would help us know, plus a description of what you're meaning by "camshaft tuning apparatus", esoes06.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471