Thread: can somebody HELP an owdgit (e46 2002 318ci ) cranks but no start

My Cars
    2003 e46 318ci coupe

Unhappy can somebody HELP an owdgit (e46 2002 318ci ) cranks but no start

Hi Folks
    please be gentle to an owdgit struggling with trying to get his car going again without much success ok here goes:
    Been struggling with the car for over a week now . it all started really with a battery that was failing anyway reversed the car out of the garage and then it died refused to start and when it did it only lasted around 5 seconds and died. got new battery fitted still would not start so fitted new inlet cam sensor, no better ok got to be fuel tested fuel pump and it made a noise but was very weak ordered new pump arrived today and fitted it started the car and bingo it sprang into life great only to die again so I am back to square one tried the sender unit and that seemed ok. I checked the fuel rail and I seem to have good pressure there I have done an impa error code. If anyone can throw any light on this it would be much appreciated. Oh I have checked all fuses swapped relays around and no change Could it be a crankshaft sensor (even though there is no error code).

Update 30 mins ago run another impa test and now I have 5 error codes 1)2781 CDKPH camshaft sensor input but confusingly at the bottom it says "error not occurred yet" 2) 2785CDKDK DK potentiometer error present now but not stored yet(debouncing stage) error would cause warning lamp to light up But I have no warning lights on the dash 3) 2786 CDKDK1P Throttle valve potentiometer
    error present now but not stored(debouncing stage) again error would cause warning light and I have no warning light 4) 2787 CDKDK2P Throttle valve potentiometer 2 reads same as throttle 1 and lastly 5)2799 CDKDVEUB Abort dv adaption because of enviroment
    SO I dont know where to go from here , oh yes I also fitted a new fuel filter at the same time new fuel pump and battery. I have read about crank sensor but my rpm needle moves when I try to start it I just cant afford to keep buying parts and hoping it fixes it (and so far it hasn't) lol. Any help would be appreciated as its stuck on my drive . I am not THAT experienced at repairs but try to watch you tube a lot lol but there sre so many scenarios that keep changing direction . sorry for the long first post just trying to tell you the situation and what I have done so far
    Many thanks in advance
    Owdgit

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Hi Mate

Could be that you are not overwhelmed with replies because I don't think the N42 is fitted to the E46 in the US. And this is overwhelmingly a N American forum.

AFIK, debouncing is that stage when the DME (engine control module) is counting the number of times which a potential fault occurs. But it has not hit the magic number when it registers a fault in the code memory and puts the engine warning light on. INPA should be able to distinguish between a current fault and old ones that are not live. If you don't know when the pump and filter were last changed, replacing them is not wasted money. But you need to go back to basics: Has it got fuel, spark and compression?

My Cars
    2003 e46 318ci coupe

Cheers Mate

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    Hi Mate

Could be that you are not overwhelmed with replies because I don't think the N42 is fitted to the E46 in the US. And this is overwhelmingly a N American forum.

AFIK, debouncing is that stage when the DME (engine control module) is counting the number of times which a potential fault occurs. But it has not hit the magic number when it registers a fault in the code memory and puts the engine warning light on. INPA should be able to distinguish between a current fault and old ones that are not live. If you don't know when the pump and filter were last changed, replacing them is not wasted money. But you need to go back to basics: Has it got fuel, spark and compression?

I understand about the N42 not being popular in N America did not realise that. In answer to your question about spark etc. Yes I have spark, fuel at the rail with a good pressure, new battery , fuel pump, fuel filter, and still she refuses to start I cant help thinking though its going to be a simple thing I am overlooking although I have checked EVERY fuse I can find lol. Anway thanks for getting back to me and have a nice day
    Cheers