Thread: Starter Seems Louder?

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.

Starter Seems Louder?

Hi, everyone. '03 540i/6, 145k miles, literally overhauled in all aspects. I've owned the car since 2007 and 38k miles. It seems to me that the starter is getting louder. Maybe in all these years I didn't notice it was as loud as it is, but it somehow sounds different. It's not missing, and the car turns over and starts without issue. I'm just wondering if starters get louder before they ultimately fail. If so, I'll start planning to proactively replace it.

Thoughts from the gallery?

Thanks, as always.

--Peter
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Sometimes yes. You sure you're not in a garage echo chamber with the windows down so you can hear it better? I hate drive-thru's.. ever little thing in the engine bounces off the outer wall you're up against and makes you think you're engine is ready to blow any minute..
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    Sometimes yes. You sure you're not in a garage echo chamber with the windows down so you can hear it better? I hate drive-thru's.. ever little thing in the engine bounces off the outer wall you're up against and makes you think you're engine is ready to blow any minute..
    It may just be me being a princess-and-the-automotive-pea self, worrying about something that isn't a problem...

--P
    '03 540i-6
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    I would suggest to do a quick research and get good quality one and just have it ready on shelf.
    I had to replace mine on my 98 540 but it's been long time ago and can't remember the exact age / miles when it failed.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    I wouldn’t worry to much about it. When it fails, new reman starter with core is the way to go.
    just my 2cents…

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Since you've owned your 540 forever, your perception is likely correct and something has changed in the starter. Will it fail soon or in five years? Who knows... If your lucky you may be be able to pop start it when it fails and then swap it once home. The starters in these cars are very good as you hardly hear of them failing. I likely just jinxed mine LOL.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    About 7-8 years ago mine was making a weird noise like the bendix solenoid wasn’t releasing as soon as the key was released from the crank position.
    I took it out, cleaned and lubed it. It’s been fine since. Hope I didn’t jink myself.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    I would suggest to do a quick research and get good quality one and just have it ready on shelf.
    I had to replace mine on my 98 540 but it's been long time ago and can't remember the exact age / miles when it failed.
    Thanks, Z! I hope all's well. What's the latest with your unruly V10?

--P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Since you've owned your 540 forever, your perception is likely correct and something has changed in the starter. Will it fail soon or in five years? Who knows... If your lucky you may be be able to pop start it when it fails and then swap it once home. The starters in these cars are very good as you hardly hear of them failing. I likely just jinxed mine LOL.
    Well, I HAVE owned it forever. I'll keep paying attention to it. Thanks, and NO JINX FOR YOU!

--P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    About 7-8 years ago mine was making a weird noise like the bendix solenoid wasn’t releasing as soon as the key was released from the crank position.
    I took it out, cleaned and lubed it. It’s been fine since. Hope I didn’t jink myself.
    Thanks, Jim. Years ago, when I'd just bought the car, the starter was replaced under warranty (that says something about how long I've had the car!) because it had the same problem.

NO JINX FOR YOU, EITHER! :-)

--P
    '03 540i-6