Thread: Couple of electrical issues

My Cars
    1994 E34 540 Touring

Couple of electrical issues

My right side mirror tilts in the wrong direction on the horizontal plane, it tilts up when it's suppose to tilt down and vice versa. I don't know if it ever worked correctly since my car came with the wrong right mirror (4 pin). I've searched for ages trying to find an E34 mirror with memory but to no avail. I bought one that was sold as an E36 mirror but they seem identical. Been using it for about two years now. I've gotten used to it when adjusting it but I recently fixed the memory switch and when using that it also moves in the wrong direction, same for the reverse tilt, it aims up in the air.
    Electronics is by no means my forte but I did some debugging with a multimeter and switched over the red and gray wires. That did make up and down go in the right direction but when going up it also went right and when going down it also went left. Plus the range was limited, it wouldn't reach all the way up or down. Has anyone every experienced the same and fixed it? I don't think the motor can be physically flipped over because the gear is located on one side only.
    Left and right worked fine in both configurations btw.

The other issue is the trunk opening switch and trunk window opening switch, they don't work at all. I can unlock the central locking and open the trunk just fine with the key but not with the switch. I've redone all the wires near the hinges (it's a touring) so I know that's all good, everything else works flawlessly. I've put 12v directly to the actuator and that opens the trunk and glass window so I know the actuators are good. I've cleaned both switches and confirmed the contacts still work. I have a feeling the switches are disabled because it still thinks the car is locked, could that be the case? If so where should I look to fix it? I also don't get the door open message on the dash, not for the trunk nor the doors.

Mirror connector; https://imgur.com/ZeDDQmJ

Last edited by Oostblok; 06-23-2022 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added image

My Cars
    335i E93; 325xi E46 wgn
    have you figured anything out with the mirror? I'm having the same issue on my Z3

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    1994 E34 540: if the car has originally SMM, then you can only use seat and mirror memory mirrors and also the switch is different, pin number. Here some pics of the internal of SMM and just electric mirrors https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ted-mirrors-or
    also there are more and more reports that the SMM control module is near the end of its lifetime, apparently needs some new electr. replacement parts.

Z3 is a different system, better ask for your Z3 in the Z3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!