Thread: 2022 X5M Competition Tuning Options

My Cars
    2022 X5M Competition

2022 X5M Competition Tuning Options

hello!

i've lurked on this forum for years - have had a few bimmers over the years. a couple e36s back in the day, and then a few years without a car - living in nyc - and then more recently X1, X3 M40i, and as of last week, the X5M competition. i had the X3 flash tuned with a bootmod3 tune for a while - until they rolled out the update last year that negated that. that was pretty amazing. that car was significantly better with the tune. you might be connecting the dots by now - but i needed more power! enter the X5M. i'm sure it's plenty of power and i don't really need to upgrade it - but if i did want to tune it - what are the options? i'd like to not void the warranty, but if it can't be detected, i'm open to it. i've done a bit of research but i'd like to see what you all think!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Nothing that can’t be detected. Any flash is more easily detected even after flashing back to stock than a piggyback that has been removed but even use of a piggyback can be detected if BMW wants to investigate a claim. The ECU record a lot of information and even if the boost appears stock because the piggyback lied to the ECU, torque reduction for transmission shifting, fuel injection quantities and other details are preserved that can prove the tune was altered.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ys0n View Post
    hello!

i've lurked on this forum for years - have had a few bimmers over the years. a couple e36s back in the day, and then a few years without a car - living in nyc - and then more recently X1, X3 M40i, and as of last week, the X5M competition. i had the X3 flash tuned with a bootmod3 tune for a while - until they rolled out the update last year that negated that. that was pretty amazing. that car was significantly better with the tune. you might be connecting the dots by now - but i needed more power! enter the X5M. i'm sure it's plenty of power and i don't really need to upgrade it - but if i did want to tune it - what are the options? i'd like to not void the warranty, but if it can't be detected, i'm open to it. i've done a bit of research but i'd like to see what you all think!
    G chassis BMWs newer than 06/2020 have their ecus locked using a new method, and would require you sending *both* ecus to Finland to get them unlocked by the one company that managed to hack through the new security. After that, you'd need a knowledgeable tuner. bootmod3 off the shelf tunes are quite poor.

Yes, BMW will see it.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2022 X5M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    torque reduction for transmission shifting, fuel injection quantities and other details are preserved that can prove the tune was altered.
    ah, i didn't think about that. i've heard there's a lot of logging. i wonder if that can be altered or cleared out. deleting the logs would obviously look suspicious, but technically removes the evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    G chassis BMWs newer than 06/2020 have their ecus locked using a new method, and would require you sending *both* ecus to Finland to get them unlocked by the one company that managed to hack through the new security. After that, you'd need a knowledgeable tuner. bootmod3 off the shelf tunes are quite poor.

Yes, BMW will see it.
    good to know that someone's figured out how to bypass the encryption!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Maybe that company in Russia with the mailing address over the border in Finland could clean up the ECU. Takes a long time to reverse engineer a modern ECU and I don’t know how far they have gotten beyond the tune and the unlock.