Thread: Transmission detent stuck

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster

Exclamation Transmission detent stuck

Hello. I am performing the detent service. I messed up deforming the detent to remove. Now it’s stuck and I cannot pull it out. It “slips” further into but cannot get it out. Ruined 2 pairs of pliers already.

A3A3C599-A054-45A7-94FD-FDDFFBC45933.jpeg

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

My Cars
    99 M3

Transmission detent stuck

Can you use a long thread screw to screw into what needs to be pulled out?
    Screw in a long screw and use a slide hammer to remove.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-19-2022 at 11:18 AM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved to the model specific sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I wonder if you could push on it from the inside with the shifter rod? You say you ruined 2 pliers. I wonder how. Sometimes one has to modify a tool to do a job. Maybe grinding the plier jaws to fit the deformed detent?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Sorry but I stated that incorrectly in my frustration. The detent is already removed, the image is of the sleeve that needs to be “deformed” to be removed (along the split). I went a little over board and not matter what I do, cannot pull it out. I stopped hammering with a flat head screw driver because it starts to fall into the transmission.

My Cars
    99 M3
    These transmissions do not open up easily, so you may need to find a shop locally who has done this before and have them finish the job….

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogdakota View Post
    Sorry but I stated that incorrectly in my frustration. The detent is already removed, the image is of the sleeve that needs to be “deformed” to be removed (along the split). I went a little over board and not matter what I do, cannot pull it out. I stopped hammering with a flat head screw driver because it starts to fall into the transmission.
    OH, the sleeve. You can get that out, with patience. Don't hit it anymore. Try some of the above suggestions. I think screw/slide hammer first.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Try a bearing puller. There is a type that is intended to pass though the bearing race and expand to grab onto the back of the race. You then pull it out with a slide hammer.You could also try that same method with a hook of some sort and a slide hammer.

Whatever you do, make sure you can't drop anything inside the case because...

Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    These transmissions do not open up easily, so you may need to find a shop locally who has done this before and have them finish the job….
    Without the ZF-specific tools, you won't get it apart. I was working on a guide for disassembling one to replace the rear case, and got stalled out as soon as the case separated. There are clips and whatnot inside that we couldn't find and the ZF manual didn't show.

EDIT:
    I don't know how far in you are (depth-wise), but ideally you'd want to grab ahold of (and KEEP ahold of) the bushing right next to the split and roll it in on itself. That will shrink it and let you slide it out easily. When you're done, you're going to need to have a close look at what has happened to that bore. It is looking pretty rough, and that roughness will push the replacement bushing out-of-round.
    Last edited by Vinci; 06-21-2022 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Hello. I am performing the detent service. I messed up deforming the detent to remove. Now it’s stuck and I cannot pull it out. It “slips” further into but cannot get it out. Ruined 2 pairs of pliers already.

A3A3C599-A054-45A7-94FD-FDDFFBC45933.jpeg
    Yes, that sucks...

Along the same principle as removing the broken splined-end of a conventional live axle, without pulling the differential/center section (look it up*) I found myself in a similar predicament when tasked with removing an improperly installed pin bush.

* They typically describe doing it with a stick-welder, but I used a TIG to the same effect. If you don't have a welding machine, see about taking it to someone that does. Good luck!

IMG_1040-la.jpg i (2).jpg i (3).jpg
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 06-22-2022 at 02:15 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Update : thanks for the suggestions. I was finally able to remove it but did not “file” down the bore to smooth it out enough. I was too concerned about filing it. After installing the new sleeve the detent does not go in and I don’t want to force it. So planning to remove the sleeve again and do it all over again.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I’d look for a hone rather than a file.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Update : thanks for the suggestions. I was finally able to remove it but did not “file” down the bore to smooth it out enough. I was too concerned about filing it. After installing the new sleeve the detent does not go in and I don’t want to force it. So planning to remove the sleeve again and do it all over again.
    You didn't say how you got it out! I can't imagine anyone taking a file to that bore. Hone? Maybe some scotch-brite or similar?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I “held” it in place with needle nose pliers and continued to deform along the split. Then twist and pull and it came out. I think I was very lucky on that one. FYI - for the 5th gear detent it was very easy after learning from my mistake on the reverse detent. Carefully deformed the 5th gear sleeve and was able to get out easily, smoothed out the high spots from the bore and sleeve and detent went in no problems.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Do you have the proper detent ‘drifts’?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Yes I ordered a set.

My Cars
    99 M3

Transmission detent stuck

Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I’d look for a hone rather than a file.
    That small diameter bore/hole is generally reamed after a drilling operation if required.

I don’t know how deep one could go, but load the flutes of a short reem up with grease and go slowly
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-28-2022 at 08:36 PM.