Thread: 2016 750i M Sport key locked in car

My Cars
    2003 745li

2016 750i M Sport key locked in car

Hi, just bought a 750i X Drive and when the tow guy went to pick it up the battery was dead and all of the doors were locked. Does anyone know of a way to get into the car? Any help will be appreciated, thanks!!!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If you don't have a spare, i suggest you head to a dealer and order one, i'm sure you'll be needing one in the future.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Are you (not) saying that there’s only one remote with the car? If you have the other remote…just removed the metal key blade that’s inside the other remote fob and insert it into the driver’s door lock cylinder. You can unlock the door the old fashioned way by turning the blade in the lock cylinder which should manually raise the door pin and unlock the door.

You can then pop the hood and connect power to the dedicated jump start terminals in the engine bay (there’s a pos & neg terminal). Once power is connected to those engine bay terminals…this will charge the battery which is located in the trunk. Or if you need to replace the battery…this should give you enough power to use the remote or the interior trunk release button to pop the trunk so you can access the battery to replace it.

DO NOT connect directly to the car’s battery IF it is still installed. Again, this is what the terminals in the engine bay are for.

Not sure if a 2016 still has access to BMW Connected Drive…but if it does and you’ve registered the car…you can unlock the doors from your Connected Account using your smartphone or CPU.

OR…you can take proof of purchase/ownership and the car’s VIN…go to your local BMW dealership’s PARTS DEPT and order a 2nd remote fob…or if you’re not up to spending $$$ for a complete remote…you can order just the key blade (#2) or spare key (#3) in the diagram below which will be less $$$ but still give you the option to MANUALLY unlock your BMW (you need one of the two anyway to prevent situations like you presented here if it is true that you only have one remote).

It is kind of weird how the key got locked inside the car. There are multiple design features that prevent this from happening…so the odds of it occurring is very rare…especially if the remote is visible from outside the car. Do you happen to know where the remote is located inside the car? Only asking because:
    • You cant lock the car when either fronts doors are open
    • You can’t lock the car with CA (comfort access) if the remote is inside the car…it should UNLOCK in a few seconds when this occurs
    • You can’t lock the remote in the trunk…again, it should UNLOCK in a few seconds when this occurs…unless it is buried in something that is blocking the signal

So that makes us wonder if the remote was placed or wrapped in something that blocked it from communicating with the antennas around the car that should have identified its location. Or whoever brought you the car left the key inside and then locked the car (manually) from the rear doors. Or they didn’t give you the 2nd remote fob. Or the battery in the car was already low or dead and they manually locked the remote inside the car. Or they disconnected the battery and also locked the remote inside the car. Hmmm.

Hopefully you won’t “ghost” this thread and never return with an update. It will be interesting and beneficial to future owners how you recovered and gained entrance.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-26-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)