Thread: E36 m3 95 armrest rear retrofit

My Cars
    1997 m3/4/5

E36 m3 95 armrest rear retrofit

Hello so I’ve been wanting an armrest in my 95 coupe m3 for some time now and I’ve been sourcing parts over time. I finally got the last final piece I needed and I just installed everything but the rear part of the base sits a little higher up than I would like.

I’m aware of the differences in the base between a coupe and convertible but is their any diffence between coupes and sedan? I don’t think so personally but how about differences in the actually mounts, the one that goes into the chassis

I’m suspecting that the actual mount that gets bolted into the chassis with the three #13mm bolts has something to do at play here ? Did they make different variations of this mount ? I’m thinking I might have mixed up some parts and possibly picked up the arm rest mount from a convertible car. The base I’m using(the main tray that supports the cup holders ect) are these all the same across the coupes and sedans ? I’m really stumped and I’m about to start moving parts between my coupe and sedan to try and solve this problem I’m having.

I feel like the arm rest mount and the base I’m using aren’t meant to be used together ? Can someone confirm if there was also differences in the mounts ?

I’ll take off the parts and write down the part numbers soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M3
    I do not have a direct answer for you, however, one can query the parts listings for various model years and chassis configurations in www.realoem.com. The E36 can be found in the ‘Classic’ catalog.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    that actually seems normal (without seeing a bigger overview shot of the console). Just make sure you bolt it all the way down.

I do want to note more importantly, the armrest you pick should be coming out of an m3 (not the standard 3 series) because the leather upholstery could mean the difference of Nappa or not

Quote Originally Posted by onesikM View Post
    Hello so I’ve been wanting an armrest in my 95 coupe m3 for some time now and I’ve been sourcing parts over time. I finally got the last final piece I needed and I just installed everything but the rear part of the base sits a little higher up than I would like.

I’m aware of the differences in the base between a coupe and convertible but is their any diffence between coupes and sedan? I don’t think so personally but how about differences in the actually mounts, the one that goes into the chassis

I’m suspecting that the actual mount that gets bolted into the chassis with the three #13mm bolts has something to do at play here ? Did they make different variations of this mount ? I’m thinking I might have mixed up some parts and possibly picked up the arm rest mount from a convertible car. The base I’m using(the main tray that supports the cup holders ect) are these all the same across the coupes and sedans ? I’m really stumped and I’m about to start moving parts between my coupe and sedan to try and solve this problem I’m having.

I feel like the arm rest mount and the base I’m using aren’t meant to be used together ? Can someone confirm if there was also differences in the mounts ?

I’ll take off the parts and write down the part numbers soon

My Cars
    1997 m3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I do not have a direct answer for you, however, one can query the parts listings for various model years and chassis configurations in www.realoem.com. The E36 can be found in the ‘Classic’ catalog.
    I noticed conflicting part numbers on realoem but I’ll verify part numbers once more after I remove my arm rest again to get to the bottom of this thanks for the input

My Cars
    1997 m3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    that actually seems normal (without seeing a bigger overview shot of the console). Just make sure you bolt it all the way down.

I do want to note more importantly, the armrest you pick should be coming out of an m3 (not the standard 3 series) because the leather upholstery could mean the difference of Nappa or not
    Can you put a finger thru the sides of your center console in the rear ? My sedan which has a arm rest also does not sit high up this way. Something is wrong with the collection of parts that I have. I’ll take pictures tonight and disassemble the arm rest to note my part numbers I have

Thanks I’m fully aware of the differences in leather. I got these parts from a non m car and the arm rest itself isn’t in great condition so which I will reupholster soon so I’m not concerned about the variations in colors and texture but thanks for your input.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    That is normal. You do not have a convertible console and there are no other variants. Convertible are unmistakable.

If you want to draw it in tighter then modify the bracket.

My Cars
    1997 m3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    That is normal. You do not have a convertible console and there are no other variants. Convertible are unmistakable.

If you want to draw it in tighter then modify the bracket.
    Thanks for confirming I wasn’t sure if the mounting base had variations but I’ll take your word for it!!!!. Looks like I have some light dremel work ahead of me.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I had to trim the carpet to get the mount to sit right.
    No matter where you go, there you are...