Thread: FS: M5x Cylinder Head - Fully Rebuilt

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325is

FS: M5x Cylinder Head - Fully Rebuilt

SOLD

Selling a completely rebuilt M5x head. This will work on any VANOS equipped BMW E36 6 cylinder car. This is a ‘400’ casting head and is interchangeable with ‘070’ casting heads.

The following work was done: full disassembly, oil galley(ery ) plugs removed, washing, bead blasting, washing again, pressure test for cracks, old valve guides removed, new bronze guides sized for correct length and press fit retaining concentricity, installed with dry ice and heat, and ID sized to correct clearance with a carbide reamer and/or diamond hone, valves cleaned, checked for runout and ground with .0005” concentricity and a back cut for improved flow, valve stem installed height measured and tips ground to remain within factory height specs, 3 angle cut on the valve seats with carbide cutter, oil galley tapped for new NPT plug and installed, deck resurfaced using modern CBN/PCD cutters, all threads chased and cleaned, springs checked and shimmed if necessary, head final washed, full assembly with new stem seals. This head will outperform a stock head thanks to the back cut valves, better tolerances, and the 3 angle valve job.

Cams and cam trays not included. Does include cleaned cam tray studs minus two which were damaged before I acquired it. Use two of your old ones or buy two new.

Price is $1700. Can provide a $300 core refund for a rebuildable ‘400’ or ‘070’ casting head for local buyers. Will not deal with cores long distance, I must inspect core in person first. Will ship this head anywhere in the US at buyer’s cost, we ship heads regularly.

Located in southeast PA.

All machine work performed in house.

Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/jyT7srA

Last edited by Zinnober325is; 09-22-2022 at 04:05 PM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325is
    PMs replied to, but my Sent folder shows nothing.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325is
    Bump

***Please note: most rebuilt heads available make no mention of replacing the valve guides which is one of the most critical components to the performance and durability of a head. This process is time consuming and requires experience and expensive tooling to be done correctly. The head listed here has new manganese bronze guides press fit correctly into the head and ID sized correctly to match the valve stems. Quality can differ dramatically between shops!***

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325is
    sold