Thread: Any of you want to swap to Euro CELIS Outer rear lenses, For your US lenses?

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car

Any of you want to swap to Euro CELIS Outer rear lenses, For your US lenses?

Hi,

This is of course Touring specific !

Would any of you like to swap to excellent condition Euro clear top CELIS outer rear lenses ? in exchange for your excellent condition US ones?

Looking for an exchange, we just send each other the lenses we have for the cost of the shipping.

For me, I wouldn't need the bulb holders part as I only need the lenses themselves and will retain use of my existing lamp holder.

For you, I'd include the lamp holder so that it can be swapped and coded in to operate correctly.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2000 EuroSport RHD 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

This is of course Touring specific !

Would any of you like to swap to excellent condition Euro clear top CELIS outer rear lenses ? in exchange for your excellent condition US ones?

Looking for an exchange, we just send each other the lenses we have for the cost of the shipping.

For me, I wouldn't need the bulb holders part as I only need the lenses themselves and will retain use of my existing lamp holder.

For you, I'd include the lamp holder so that it can be swapped and coded in to operate correctly.

Cheers, Dennis!

Dennis I may have some outer tails, I will try and go find them and snap a picture for you

here are some pictures of them:
    tail_04.jpg
    tail_01.jpg
    tail_02.jpg
    tail_03.jpg
    tail_05.jpg
    Last edited by mateo8; 06-11-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    Current:
    2000 RHD Euro Sport Slicktop 540it Glacier Green/Black
    2009 LHD e92 335i Sport Black/Black

Former:
    1997 5sp locker 4Runner Green/Beige
    1991 Buick Park Avenue Gold/Beige

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Hate to burst your bubble, take a look at those tail lights, they have the typical cracking going on in the upper corners. I wrote about this months ago. The upper bulbs, the turn signal bulbs, here in the US, those are turn signals, and brakes. The upper bulbs seem to be too close to the inner wall, and melt the housings, and then they crack through stress, it seems. So beware of buying used outer tail lights for the wagons. I never started a thread…. Actually, I did! Two months ago…. Sorry Matt, if you look real well, your tail lights have it too. It’s an E39 tail light pandemic.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-All-Tourings!

- - - Updated - - -

Dennis, check yours, and check with your buddies out there.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 06-11-2022 at 06:58 PM.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Mateo - Lets progress ! I've got a particular 'image' in my mind for how I want my Touring to look. I've always wanted the US full red CELIS lights, more so when I saw this Touring in NYC and took these pics ( I mean had these pics taken by my err, passenger!)

With the design aspects I've got in my mind, I want them even more now!

I'll PM you soon, don't sell em on !

BMUS - thanks for the heads up, i'll keep it in mind, worst case scenario is they deteriorate more I'll just get another set in from the US from one of you guys hopefully or via US ebay etc. In any interim, I can pick up another set of lcoal CELIS ones, I think I've either got 2 or 3 sets sitting about right now in my 'stores' anyway! I'll dig them out and have a good close look at them. I've also got to get some nice Inner lenses and have them polished up - a UK enthusiast revitalizes the lenses so may have him go over the full set.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2000 EuroSport RHD 540it
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi

Mateo - Lets progress ! I've got a particular 'image' in my mind for how I want my Touring to look. I've always wanted the US full red CELIS lights, more so when I saw this Touring in NYC and took these pics ( I mean had these pics taken by my err, passenger!)

With the design aspects I've got in my mind, I want them even more now!

I'll PM you soon, don't sell em on !

Cheers, Dennis!
    Dennis, I have had these for a couple of years now, they have your name on them. There are cracks at the very top (small ones that look to be repairable), but none in between the light housings, I have attached pictures below. Don't worry, I will thoroughly clean the parts before I send them to you, they have been in storage for the past couple of years
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current:
    2000 RHD Euro Sport Slicktop 540it Glacier Green/Black
    2009 LHD e92 335i Sport Black/Black

Former:
    1997 5sp locker 4Runner Green/Beige
    1991 Buick Park Avenue Gold/Beige

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Keep me in mind for one inner, The ones on my silver wagon are looking not so happy. I do have one good one, but can’t remember which side it is for.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Mateo,

I sent you a PM a couple weeks back mate, did you get it ? if not, I'll resend !

BMUS - I've got a couple faded inners, and there's a few guys here who somehow polish/treat them so they come up looking excellent. I'm sure there's someone in the US who can and does the same ?

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Dennis, I can polish them very well. I used to professionally polish aluminum to look like a mirror back when I had my custom motorcycle shop. Polishing is nothing but sanding down scratches, into finer scratches, and then you polish the surface. It’s a lot of elbow grease that rewards you with the finished product in the end. Something strange with these touring tail lights. The outer corners with their melting/cracking issues, but the lenses are nice and perfect, where as the inner lights lenses on the tailgates are fading, crusty rough looking, and the clear lenses for the backup lights are all cracked, and really brittle. I was gonna clean them up, but I heard a small crack when I applied some pressure on the clear section, kinda scared me off of it. It’s a Chris Bangled conspiracy! And every time I get lucky finding a wagon at the salvage yard, you guys call them breakers out there? Every time I find one, the tail lights are all goofy, just like the ones on my silver wagon. The ones on my green wagon were purchased new back in 2018, so those ones should be good for at least another 15 years. I do have a fresh looking tailgate light housing at home, just can’t remember which side it was. Not home right now, be back in four days or so. I am gonna try something, I was thinking of wicking in some super thin CA glue into the cracks, it is like thinner than water, should wick into the cracks to strengthen the lens up, then I should be able to sand it down, 600 grit dry to smoothen them down, then 600 wet, all the way up to 1500 wet. If I can sand them down without poking through the brittle clear sections, I should be able to save them.

It is quite amusing how lots of the guys on this side do have the cravings for the Euro lenses, and you guys on your side over there want the red lenses that we got over here. I happen to like the US lenses on my cars. Will that pass MOT over there? Over here, the inspectors wouldn’t have a clue what came on the cars.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Just like headlights, sand them down and apply good clearcoat.
    These were pink and faded, with hairline cracks

20220711_144308.jpg
    Last edited by wagons ho; 07-11-2022 at 05:50 PM.
    Not enough room for past/present garage

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yes, thats how the tailgate lights are on my silver wagon, like I said, the clear section, with the cracks feel like they will cave right in, so I will try to stiffen them up and fill in the cracks with very thin superglue that I have. It should wick in, fill the cracks, stiffen it all up, then I can sand it all down and polish. I already have a roll of 3M clear rubber vinyl wrap to cover it all up. But before I do that, I want to have that one missing side that I do not have, just in case the stupid things do cave in on me.