Thread: Testing M30 Cooling

My Cars
    1984 318i

Testing M30 Cooling

Hey, I've been working on an M30 swap for my E30 and I'm working on the cooling system at the moment. I've got everything set up and am using the same overflow reservoir as an E34. Is there any way to properly test whether the coolant is actually flowing through the engine? My heater is not working at the moment but I believe that's because I've got the hoses attached the wrong way on the heater core. Another thing to note, which might be normal, is that the valve cover, upper radiator hose, and thermostat housing get pretty hot after only a few minutes at idle. Is that normal for an M30? Also is there a proper way to test the cooling system such as with an infrared thermometer and what should I be looking for? And I know it's a bit of a vague question but does anyone have an idea for how quickly and how hot the valve cover should be getting? Thank you!

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i E34
    M30's, in my experience heat up very quickly when everything is in order. These engines produce heat like its nothing, its quite impressive. The valve cover, and upper rad. hose should not be getting hot that quickly tho.

First, I think you should look into a 174 degree thermostat, even if nothing is actually wrong. Better temp management, and even then, the M30 will have no problem getting to its regulated temp.
    Hook up the heater core correctly and see if it pushes any hot air. If it doesn't after being hooked up correctly, then I'd look at your water pump. From what I've seen, some of those old pumps used plastic blades/fins, and with age obviously deteriorate and push 0/10 fluid.

As far as testing water flow... I'd say as long as your temp gauge reads within the margins, and your heater core gets hot, then everything is flowing correctly. Both temp sensors are on the thermostat housing, so if you are thinking that the upper engine area is too hot, then your gauge will be the first to let you know.

My Cars
    1984 318i
    Thank you so much for this it helped a lot!