Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 740i Sport Part Duex-this time is personal

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    Try this. Especially if yours are not that bad. I used on my taillights and headlights on my old E38 and they came out like new! I am going to use it on my old ones before I sell. I just wanted new ones tiis time. I will show before and after.

SYLVANIA - Headlight Restoration Kit - 3 Easy Steps to Restore Sun Damaged Headlights With Exclusive UV Block Clear Coat, Light Output and Beam Pattern Restored, Long Lasting Protection https://a.co/d/1vGLbjj
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look and probably tackle this after my current list of to do's on the car. It's barely noticable unless directly comparing it to a brand new tail light.

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to show my temp tag and registration to get the new key. I went with an online dealer, really easy and fast.
    Hmm... I may have to do this weekend hah. Who did you end up going with online? I was thinking of just going to the local dealership and biting the bullet.

- - - Updated - - -

Pixels fixed and on the way back to me! One day turn around.

https://youtu.be/mYmYLGQjvqw
    Looks awesome! Super quick turn around and good price.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Parts are rolling in, the car only had key so the new one came in today. Need to program it.

New tails are in, these are so satisfying
    Yesssss.

New lenses all around sharpen it all up considerably.

That key also looks nice and minty. Did you need to provide them with proof of ownership etc etc?

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Yesssss.

New lenses all around sharpen it all up considerably.

That key also looks nice and minty. Did you need to provide them with proof of ownership etc etc?
    Yea you need to send your license and either copy of title or registration with your name.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Well the interior turned out to be a bust, it was supposed to be low milage, and it may have been, but it wasnt in much better shape then mine, and the seat rails were slightly rusted.

I am getting quotes from the guy redoing my headliner to see how much it would be to 1) refinish the leather or 2) get new leather. I am leaning toward the second, I have started to turn this project into a full restoration.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    At least this came in today. The Monsoons for the rear deck. The Bavsoud speakers came in the other day as well. Will get around to tearing the doors part this week.

I ended up buying new chrome strips for the top of the door panels since mine looked oxidized

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Well the interior turned out to be a bust, it was supposed to be low milage, and it may have been, but it wasnt in much better shape then mine, and the seat rails were slightly rusted.

I am getting quotes from the guy redoing my headliner to see how much it would be to 1) refinish the leather or 2) get new leather. I am leaning toward the second, I have started to turn this project into a full restoration.
    Bummer on the interior. Have you been found a set of new leather for the front contour seats? I'm thinking it would be a good thing to have on the backburner.

At least this came in today. The Monsoons for the rear deck. The Bavsoud speakers came in the other day as well. Will get around to tearing the doors part this week.

I ended up buying new chrome strips for the top of the door panels since mine looked oxidized

Nice! Looking forward to seeing the install.
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Parts are rolling in, the car only had key so the new one came in today. Need to program it.

New tails are in, these are so satisfying
    New OE Tails?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    So I have ordered a bunch of parts so far. I think I will have more parts then I paid for the car.

Some quick things I have done. The door handle halogens are all out, ordered new LED versions. The mistake I made with my old car is I ordered all the Ziza stuff. It worked well but the light was too cool in coloring for me. I like the warm coloring, especially for the interior which makes it look too hospital like. I do like the idea of LED's though so I gave it another shot.

For the interior, I went with Super bright LEDs 4410-WW8: Warm White. I have BA9 for the reading lamps, those didnt seem to work but I have a feeling they are not installed flush and I didnt have time to play with it.

Anyway, I am really happy.

The first pic is the normal halogen bulbs.

The next pics are with the LED bulb. The last pic is the LED dome light with the two Halogen reading lights on, the color is really damn spot on. Super happy with it.

Thinking about adding this to my list of things to do. Do you have an item list for the ones you bought from super bright LEDS?

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Btkeenan View Post
    Thinking about adding this to my list of things to do. Do you have an item list for the ones you bought from super bright LEDS?
    Yep I will post after I change them all and make sure it works

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Ok some updates today after.a frustrating start. I got half way through pulling the old CD43 out and realized i was missing one of the adapters to get it to work. I was able to get it today though, so while it doesnt look pretty yet, I have a fully working BM53, with Sat, Aux, and my CD changer still works.

Now to clean it up!

Need to hook up the Sat antenna but it works

While I was there I upgraded the software to V32

And I know I have missing pixels, I have a new screen going in this week

While I was waiting for the part I tackled a few other things. Since all the radio equipment was out its easier to change the taillights.

Such a difference!

My antenna was broken, I have a new one on the way. I also bought front and rear window moldings. I havent had time to put in yet but I did clean the channel, really dirty!

Last but not least I got the rear deck apart to fix my sub box. THe rear deck like most black versions are really faded and the fabric is coming up. I was going to spray it, but the guy who is doing my headliner (and new leather) said he would recover them for me no charge.

Here is the headliner choice, black suede.

I also ordered new Bilsteins, I had the B4's in my last car, I know there is a huge debate on B4 bs B6, but I really liked the B4s. I wasnt planning on doing them until next year, but as I was sitting there taking everything apart to get to the speaker box, I realized I would have to do it all over again just to get to the rear shocks.I forgot what a pain it was last itme. I dont want to do it again. So since I will have some time before the covers are redone I might as well tackle that now,

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Ok some updates today after.a frustrating start. I got half way through pulling the old CD43 out and realized i was missing one of the adapters to get it to work. I was able to get it today though, so while it doesnt look pretty yet, I have a fully working BM53, with Sat, Aux, and my CD changer still works.

Now to clean it up!

Need to hook up the Sat antenna but it works

While I was there I upgraded the software to V32

And I know I have missing pixels, I have a new screen going in this week

While I was waiting for the part I tackled a few other things. Since all the radio equipment was out its easier to change the taillights.

Such a difference!

My antenna was broken, I have a new one on the way. I also bought front and rear window moldings. I havent had time to put in yet but I did clean the channel, really dirty!

Last but not least I got the rear deck apart to fix my sub box. THe rear deck like most black versions are really faded and the fabric is coming up. I was going to spray it, but the guy who is doing my headliner (and new leather) said he would recover them for me no charge.

Here is the headliner choice, black suede.

I also ordered new Bilsteins, I had the B4's in my last car, I know there is a huge debate on B4 bs B6, but I really liked the B4s. I wasnt planning on doing them until next year, but as I was sitting there taking everything apart to get to the speaker box, I realized I would have to do it all over again just to get to the rear shocks.I forgot what a pain it was last itme. I dont want to do it again. So since I will have some time before the covers are redone I might as well tackle that now,
    Nice work. Do you have a shot of any grey suede options in that sample material booklet?

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    466DB577-BB45-459D-A150-D520258A6B05.jpg
    Nice work. Do you have a shot of any grey suede options in that sample material booklet?
    Here you go. I’m between black and Charcoal.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Where are you guys buying your new tailights?

BMW Direct Parts sells them for $310 each while FCP Euro has them for $400.

At minimum, that's over $650/pair with tax & shipping.

Probably not very good, these are much more reasonable from Amazon.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Where are you guys buying your new tailights?

BMW Direct Parts sells them for $310 each while FCP Euro has them for $400.

At minimum, that's over $650/pair with tax & shipping.

Probably not very good, these are much more reasonable from Amazon.
    Frankie,

First of all I need to thank you, I have been using your site to help with some of my installs!

As for the lights, I bought one from ECS, they had a scratch and dent and it was almost impossible to find the scratch, in fact when it came in I couldn't find it so I got that one for $276. I had an FCP coupon for other purchases I made when I was rebuilding my E30 so I think I paid $300ish for the second light, so yes I am around $600ish for the set. Not cheap.

I know when I clean up my old ones and sell them I will make some of that back. That being said I am a big OE guy, I try to avoid aftermarket parts unless I know they are better quality then the original, especially with lighting, I have had bad luck with Depo and other brands in the past.
    Last edited by Staszek; 06-21-2022 at 09:46 AM.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    One of my goodies came in today

New steering wheel is in, I will have to take a pic next to the old one, but I love this one.

[/url]

As for the headliner I went with Charcoal over Black. The lady was telling me that black would be too dark and that Charcoal would look black when it was in the car. I wasn't sure if I really believed her. Well today I took my wife's X7 in that had a stock Alcantara headliner, and she was right, I put the charcoal swatch up against my wife's headliner and its a pretty damn close match. Also when you put black next to the black leather it is much darker then the leather so it kind of overpowers it.

So I ordered the material for the new headliner and new BMW leather.

Lastly, I actually have two sub-boxes. I will experiment on the one in my old car and put the Monsoons in it. If that turns out badly I am going to take the other one and put the Bavsound woofers in it and call it a day.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Really liking the stitching on that wheel. It will look great installed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Some more progress today. Installed the new steering wheel

The old one wasn't too bad, I am going to clean up and put for sale. I just wanted it to look and feel brand new and have tricolor stitching

Got the new Fakra adapter for the satellite, now its activate and working

Next process is to replace the screen due to the dead pixels. Not a hard job, its out now I just need to sit down and swap.
    [/url]

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Some more progress today. Installed the new steering wheel

The old one wasn't too bad, I am going to clean up and put for sale. [/url]
    Looking good! I think I am going to go with the grey suede headliner, pillars, sunroof, sun visors, and rear deck. Now to decide if I should do the labor to take out/put it back in...

Also for refinishing the leather on the old steering wheel, might I suggest the products over at colourlock (they are the only brand used to maintain Maybach leather on the OE side). I have been using their stuff for a few years on my other cars and they now make a kit for steering wheels found here. May be able to get a little more for it online when you sell if its matte vs shiny.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Looking good! I think I am going to go with the grey suede headliner, pillars, sunroof, sun visors, and rear deck. Now to decide if I should do the labor to take out/put it back in...

Also for refinishing the leather on the old steering wheel, might I suggest the products over at colourlock (they are the only brand used to maintain Maybach leather on the OE side). I have been using their stuff for a few years on my other cars and they now make a kit for steering wheels found here. May be able to get a little more for it online when you sell if its matte vs shiny.
    Thanks for the tip, I have been using leatherique for years and it has kept all my other steering wheels nice and matte, I haven't tried restoring one this shiny before though. Since I have a bunch of it from conditioning a few of the cars recently I will try that, if it doesn't get it close, I will order the link.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    So two things today.

First all my door panels were near perfect condition except the drivers side that had a few nicks in it. I found a donor one on one of the Facebook E38 parts groups. Only one state away and he let it go really cheap. Now I have a nice clean drivers door.

Next I tackled the LCD screen. I wish I would not have done it late at night, I thought it would be a few screws and a swap, well yea not too many screws, but when you are dealing with multiple ribbon cables it becomes a pain, especially the two that connect to the main board, those clips are hard to get on and off. I broke one but it seemed to hold in place, I put some tape in to hold it, lets hope it doesnt shake free. There is a pin the holds the cable against the side too so that should keep it in place.

I followed this DIY, it was pretty good, it was for an E53 but the process once the Nav is out is pretty exact.
    https://www.germanaudiotech.com/page...e46-and-e53-x5

As you xan see these two cables are a pain to get too

Screen back in and seems like all functions are working! No more dead pixels and scratches on the screen!

Last edited by Staszek; 06-23-2022 at 12:37 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    I have a fully working BM53, with Sat, Aux, and my CD changer still works.
    On your new radio, does it also have the HD radio for channels? I read in post #24 on here that the siemans CID units have HD radio which would be something I would want in the car. I forgot how bad non HD radio quality is.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    On your new radio, does it also have the HD radio for channels? I read in post #24 on here that the siemans CID units have HD radio which would be something I would want in the car. I forgot how bad non HD radio quality is.
    I don't think so, I have the becker unit. I can check, but I rarely ever listen to FM HD or otherwise.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    More parts came in today. Moving to a black headliner takes some work lol. You forget about all the little parts sometimes. I started on a quest to get black handles, lights, visors etc. Found this from a seller that had all those parts and more. Ended up buying the whole lot thinking that I really don't need the ABC pillars because I am rewrapping them anyway.

Well good thing I did, these are in MUCH better shape then mine and have all the mounts, my C pillars were hanging by a thread with only one mounting screw point.

What did not notices is that the black A-pillars were from an E38 without the head protection. I am going to reuse mine, but I was able to buy brand new HPS covers for the screw in black.

Also, the donor car must not have had the ultrasonic alarm so the cover was not the larger vented cover, I was able to get one of those as well. I will probably have them recover it, but I at least I have the black grills.

If I couldn't buy these I was just going to paint them, I am glad I was able to get them though.

Lastly, does anyone know if the sunshade handle is the same on the E38 as the E39? You cant buy a separate sunshade handle in black, and to buy a panel is really expensive, especially if it's going to be recovered. I found a black E39 handle for like $9, I bought it and will see if it matches. If not I will have to paint the sunshade panel handle.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Good stuff.

At 9 bucks, the handle might be a good experiment.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast