Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 740i Sport Part Duex-this time is personal

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is

2001 740i Sport Part Duex-this time is personal

i know no one makes build threads anymore, but I felt like making one anyway, it helps me remember things when I need to go back and look at mistakes I made along the way.

Some background for those who have known me from a while ago. I had 2001 740i Sport that I bought back in 2013. It was titanian silver over black. I always wanted one of these cars, the plan back then was to clean it up and have a nice daily so that I wouldn't drive my M3 too much. That car while I treated really well in the end at the beginning I was just doing basic cheap keep it up and running work, not really making it super nice until the last 3 years of ownership. I made tons of mistakes on parts and what I wanted to do along the way, but the car came out nice.

Old car pics for reference.

Fast forward to 2019, I ended up buying a 2019 G12 750i. I had too many cars and sold (you can see them in the old sig that I still have up) so I ended up selling the E38. I am still regretting that decision to this day. I had the G12 for 3 years, it was a fine car, super fast great tech, but it never captivated me at all. The lease was coming up and we were having a second kid. My wife wanted a bigger car so we traded the 750 in for a 2022 X7 M50i which I gave to her. I took her X5. But I am not really an SUV person so I went on a trek for a new daily. The smart move would be just to keep the X5 and run it forever, but I have been wanting another 740 sport for a long time.

Well...... I picked the dumb move, especially since I have zero commute anymore I bought a 2001 740i sport Anthrazit Metallic over black. It has very high mileage like 180k, but it had a few things I was looking for. Zero rust, I mean zero, none on the door bottoms, or any of the usual places. Secondly, the engine was replaced with guides done at 150k, had a PPI done and its really solid, suspension bushings were updated, although it needs new shocks.

Lastly because of the mileage I bought it cheap (by today's E38 sport standards lol) so I can focus on making it mine.

So here she is, besides the shocks its all cosmetic fixes, everything in the car works (well except the cupholders)

2001 740i sport Anthrazit Metallic over black leather

Pros

1) No Rust!!
    2) Guides done, no vanos rattle and the engine/trans runs really strong
    3) I like the color
    4) Alread has MKIV
    5) All speakers work even the back subs
    6) Fuil tool set
    7) Tires are new and the MPars are in fantastic condition. Surprisingly not curbed at all,

Cons

1) Needs shocks
    2) I dont like the tint its a bit too dark
    3) Headliner needs to be replaced
    4) back seat leather isnt in good shape
    5) Dead pixels
    6) Cracks in the wood
    7) Doesnt have BM53/Sirius/Bluetooth like my old car.
    8) Headlight glass pitted
    9) rear lights yellowing a bit
    10) Paint needs correction, in decent shape but needs work.
    11) Rear bumper has a slight crack in it and pait is messed up)

I am planning on bringing thing back to 100% +, I may even supercharge it in the future, I do miss the power of the G12, and my wife's X7 is just stupid fast.

Anyway here are a few pics that I snapped. I will get more detailed ones as I start working on it.

Last edited by Staszek; 09-06-2022 at 01:07 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Hah look at that, great looking car. Looking forward to hearing about the fixes you do on this to bring it back to its original glory.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Yes! Looking forward to the progress!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    E38 M-Sport & Jaguar XK
    Hey, your rear courtesy light is on. Better turn that off before you drain the battery. Ha ha.

Seriously, super nice car. Glad you ended up with one.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyE38 View Post
    Hey, your rear courtesy light is on. Better turn that off before you drain the battery. Ha ha.

Seriously, super nice car. Glad you ended up with one.
    Haha I had just unlocked the car BUt I do have it on a tender now anyway.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    So I have ordered a bunch of parts so far. I think I will have more parts then I paid for the car.

Some quick things I have done. The door handle halogens are all out, ordered new LED versions. The mistake I made with my old car is I ordered all the Ziza stuff. It worked well but the light was too cool in coloring for me. I like the warm coloring, especially for the interior which makes it look too hospital like. I do like the idea of LED's though so I gave it another shot.

For the interior, I went with Super bright LEDs 4410-WW8: Warm White. I have BA9 for the reading lamps, those didnt seem to work but I have a feeling they are not installed flush and I didnt have time to play with it.

Anyway, I am really happy.

The first pic is the normal halogen bulbs.

The next pics are with the LED bulb. The last pic is the LED dome light with the two Halogen reading lights on, the color is really damn spot on. Super happy with it.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Next the gauges. Dead pixels like most E38's

Pulled it out of the dash and sending it out for repair.

Since it was out I decided to install a set of gauge rings and also color the needles orange. I am stopping here. On my last car I went with light gray gauge overlays, I never liked how it made the numbers dimmer at night and when I removed them I did some damage and had to fix the clock springs, not fun!

This was the look I ended up with in my last car and I like it.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Nice! Those bulbs look spot on just a bit brighter than OE. Where are you sending the gauges out to be repaired? Someone on eBay?

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Btkeenan View Post
    Nice! Those bulbs look spot on just a bit brighter than OE. Where are you sending the gauges out to be repaired? Someone on eBay?
    Yep

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22099726846...UAAOSwnTpbF2N5

These guys, they fixed my old E38's pixels and did a nice job.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Nice!

Lookin

Ive also got to address my dead pixels. Nice choice on the alpina style needles.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Nice. I was looking at those guys as well as mvkmimi1 seller out in Colorado on eBay as they were referenced in another post. Oddly all the pixels are working in my cluster except a vertical row in the exterior temperature section and the right side of the bottom main display. They intermittently work/don’t work depending on what is displayed which is odd but until it gets worse there’s better things to spend $ on.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Nice. I was looking at those guys as well as mvkmimi1 seller out in Colorado on eBay as they were referenced in another post. Oddly all the pixels are working in my cluster except a vertical row in the exterior temperature section and the right side of the bottom main display. They intermittently work/don’t work depending on what is displayed which is odd but until it gets worse there’s better things to spend $ on.
    There is always stuff to spend money on

So far I ordred a ton of parts.

1) BM53
    2) Sirius unit
    3) Aux cable
    3) Bluebus (on backorder)
    4) All new moldings for front and rear window (cowl was replaced already)
    5) Black handles, dome, map and reading lights (going with a black headliner when I replace)
    6) New cupholder
    7) New tail lights and new lense covers for the headlights (I can clean up the old ones like I did the last car, but I decided I wanted new I will clean the old ones up and sell)
    8) Rewrapped Sport steering wheel (will sell the old one)
    9) new rear antenna, the old one broke
    10) Bavsound speakers (Monsoons for the rear deck)
    11) New screen for the widescreen nav, the old one had a slight scratch
    12) Newest Nav DVDs and V32.2 software
    13) New quarter moldings
    14) Small trunk lip spoiler
    15) New fog lights, old ones were ok just pitted
    16) Chromeline speaker covers

And many more that I cannot remember probably at this time.

Looking at an all black interior from a 50k mile sport short on Sunday. I really only need the back seat and maybe one door panel (which isnt that bad but has a slight mark on the drivers side. But its a good deal for the entire interior, I may buy it all then sell mine to recoup some costs. We will see, I will post pics if I get it.

I also picked up some new interior wood trim.

My old car had vavona that was a mess, I ended up wrapping that in carbon fiber, but I really missed the classier wood look. If I would have known back then you could just have them refinished I would have done that. I ended up buying Birke Anthrazit, having it refinished and it came out amazing. I still miss that interior but they are impossible to find again.

Pic for reference.

I was just going to refinish the Vavona in this car, but I dont know if it was because it was the car is tinted, but the door vavona is really dark and the dash and console vavona is MUCH ligher. I dont like the look, I guess I could have them restain the veneer, not sure how that works.

Anyway as I was contemplating I found an individual set of Muschelahorn Englischrot (0138), an individual option in Europe, only 294 optioned in E38's and none in the US accoring to the Registry.

Its being shipped over now, need to refurbish the clear on these, but they are in WAY better shape then my trim.

Its similiar to vavona, just more red. I like the grain, let's see how it cleans up.
    Last edited by Staszek; 06-08-2022 at 03:52 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Nice parts list going!

Thought about upgrading the radio but besides the sirius and AUX, I'm not seeing any benefit (unless I am mistaken). Also ordered the bluebus direct (ETA Sept) and one through ECS Tuning (ETA July), TBD on which hsips faster...

For the speakers, I did the complete BAVsound kit for doors and subwoofers and am pleased with the result. Direct bolt in and you don't technically need to take the rear shelf apart to install the subs. I just popped the covers and used a short phillips (electrical tape on the end to protect the window) to remove all 4 screws. Kind of cumbersome to attach the wire leads in the space but can be done. Looked at the monsoons but didn't want to mess with the modification of them.

For the NAV, I used Ryan's guide over at E39 Source for both the original MKIII unit I had and now the MKIV unit I picked up on Craigslist. Easy install taking about 30 min to burn the cd and install the software. For the MKIV I used his modified version that has the M startup logo and bypass for the legal accept screen.

Digging that black wood trim and the 0138 individual trim. Definitely will set off your car as being unique. Luckily my vavona trim is free from cracking or fading.

I wish they had done the M colored stitching they do in the new M vehicles in this car. I have seen some wheels on ebay with them, but I think it's a subtle but cool accent to the M capability.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Nice parts list going!

Thought about upgrading the radio but besides the sirius and AUX, I'm not seeing any benefit (unless I am mistaken). Also ordered the bluebus direct (ETA Sept) and one through ECS Tuning (ETA July), TBD on which hsips faster...

For the speakers, I did the complete BAVsound kit for doors and subwoofers and am pleased with the result. Direct bolt in and you don't technically need to take the rear shelf apart to install the subs. I just popped the covers and used a short phillips (electrical tape on the end to protect the window) to remove all 4 screws. Kind of cumbersome to attach the wire leads in the space but can be done. Looked at the monsoons but didn't want to mess with the modification of them.

For the NAV, I used Ryan's guide over at E39 Source for both the original MKIII unit I had and now the MKIV unit I picked up on Craigslist. Easy install taking about 30 min to burn the cd and install the software. For the MKIV I used his modified version that has the M startup logo and bypass for the legal accept screen.

Digging that black wood trim and the 0138 individual trim. Definitely will set off your car as being unique. Luckily my vavona trim is free from cracking or fading.

I wish they had done the M colored stitching they do in the new M vehicles in this car. I have seen some wheels on ebay with them, but I think it's a subtle but cool accent to the M capability.
    There isnt as much if you stream everything through the bluebus. I like having the OE Sirus because I use it all the time and like cycling through my stations on the steering wheel. If you arent a big serious person and not going to use the AUX its not worth the effort.

I have an MKIV sitting in my storage, but the previous owner already put on in this car, just didnt upgrade the software with the splash screen.

I love the bavsound speakers, the bass in the DSP sub is just a little weak for me, I had the same setup before, Bavsound in doors and monsoon in the deck. If your rear deck is in good condition it definitely makes sense. My rear deck covers are faded so I am taking them both out anyway, once they are out it's really easy to pull the deck box out.

As for the steering wheel, yep I ended up getting the same one as last time with the M Stitching. It would have been easier to just keep that car.

Not many people on this board anymore, looks like we will be following our twin threads lol.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Love the look of that new trim. Should be

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    For sure. I primarily stream everything through Spotify/Waze for nav so no need to add additional cost. Thought about Avin AVANT 4 head unit but seemed like more hassle than it was worth considering conflicting reliability issues I’ve read online.

Nice who knows, maybe I’ll end up getting the monsoons down the road.

Sweet looking forward to seeing the steering wheel.

For sure. Perhaps with the newest gopher tooth cars, people will want to get back into these instead 😂

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    ...My old car had vavona that was a mess...If I would have known back then you could just have them refinished I would have done that.
    Where's a good shop for wood trim refinishing? I inquired with Craft Customs and they gave me a quote of over $1000 for all pieces. Is it cheaper to get it wrapped? If so, where's a good shop for that?

I have Vavona in my E38 Sport but I prefer the darker oak trim in standard models. And it's impossible to find any oak trim that's not cracked and faded.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Where's a good shop for wood trim refinishing? I inquired with Craft Customs and they gave me a quote of over $1000 for all pieces. Is it cheaper to get it wrapped? If so, where's a good shop for that?

I have Vavona in my E38 Sport but I prefer the darker oak trim in standard models. And it's impossible to find any oak trim that's not cracked and faded.
    http://www.maderaconcepts.com/

This is who I used last time. I can’t remember what I spent back in 2016, but it wasn’t cheap.

The wrap is probably cheaper, but I think it depends. I used Wu Wraps, look him up on Facebook. I will pics of my old carbon wrap. They have some pretty realistic wood ones now.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

Here are the pics of the wrapped trim.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Took a few more shots of the car today to give the group a better view of what I'm working with. Not horrible, just rough. It shows up better in pics then in person.

Interior

Last edited by Staszek; 06-09-2022 at 11:00 PM.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Parts are rolling in, the car only had key so the new one came in today. Need to program it.

New tails are in, these are so satisfying

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    That wrap looks pretty slick. I did the same in my Raptor and it has surprisingly held up for almost a decade. Still waiting on the dmv to send my registration/pink slip so I can get some new keys. Currently protecting the one I have with my life 😂I also noticed on mine the start of some oxidation of the taillight. Maybe a new set is in my future 🤔

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    That wrap looks pretty slick. I did the same in my Raptor and it has surprisingly held up for almost a decade. Still waiting on the dmv to send my registration/pink slip so I can get some new keys. Currently protecting the one I have with my life ��I also noticed on mine the start of some oxidation of the taillight. Maybe a new set is in my future ��
    Try this. Especially if yours are not that bad. I used on my taillights and headlights on my old E38 and they came out like new! I am going to use it on my old ones before I sell. I just wanted new ones tiis time. I will show before and after.

SYLVANIA - Headlight Restoration Kit - 3 Easy Steps to Restore Sun Damaged Headlights With Exclusive UV Block Clear Coat, Light Output and Beam Pattern Restored, Long Lasting Protection https://a.co/d/1vGLbjj

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    That wrap looks pretty slick. I did the same in my Raptor and it has surprisingly held up for almost a decade. Still waiting on the dmv to send my registration/pink slip so I can get some new keys. Currently protecting the one I have with my life ��I also noticed on mine the start of some oxidation of the taillight. Maybe a new set is in my future ��
    I was able to show my temp tag and registration to get the new key. I went with an online dealer, really easy and fast.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Pixels fixed and on the way back to me! One day turn around.

https://youtu.be/mYmYLGQjvqw

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast