Thread: day 3 of my e36 crash course

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe

day 3 of my e36 crash course

I got the car this weekend.... https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-bmw-m3-145/ purchased on a whim without having been in an e36 for over 25 years. I was actually looking for a stripper-spec e92 M3 replacement with no luck for the last few months.

I couldn't be more pleased. I'm quickly learning what I guess you guys already know.....that these cars are surprisingly quick and absolutely fantastic b-road drivers (which is exactly what I wanted for a weekend car). Sooooo much more communicative and fun than my last two M cars (e92M and M2). I almost pulled the trigger on an S2000 last week and am so happy I didn't go that route.

Car is in great shape. I can't believe how tight it feels for being 25 years old. Purrs like a kitten. That being said, the suspension feels a little tired to me and I'm planning on replacing shocks and struts with OEM/Sachs.

A few newbie questions:

Should I replace the motor and trans mounts? Bushing in the control arms? These are all original to the car.

Brakes feel spongy.... long pedal travel before they bite. Pads and rotors look OK to me. I'm hoping a brake flush will help considerably???

Thanks!

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Yes to replacing all those items. Stick with stock OEM rubber components. Long pedal travel is a common E36 problem. BaT description says brakes were bled but it cant hurt to try to bleed them again.

My Cars
    1996 Turbo M3, 97 M3
    Awesome pickup, I've always loved Titanium Silver. Yes if the Trans and Motor mounts are original I would definitely replace them, even with those really low miles it's still like 25yr old rubber that spent a lot of time sitting I'd guess based on the miles. You obviously were willing to invest in that car, so I would just spend the money now and have all the rubber replaced in that thing if it's all original or if you're not sure about the age. As for the brakes you should certainly do new fluid, but once again old brake lines could probably do for replacement at this point, and stainless lines will certainly help some if you're not trying to keep %100 OEM.
    ****Official E36 M3 Addict****
    -96 Estoril M3 Built S52 w/ GTX3576R/Schricks &Technica Motorsports Tuning & Lots of Other Goodies currently under construction(Forever)
    -97 Cosmos, OEM+

-97 Silver M3/4/5, 95 Daytona Voilet M3, 95 Black M3 , 98 Estoril 4Dr & 99 Estoril 2Dr, 92 318i Vert - Pandemic Ward Victims

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    I’m in the same boat. See my thread beneath yours, 1998 Suspension refresh. I’m learning too. Lots of good/similar information there. I picked up a 98 one owner with 60k miles a few months ago.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I bought a 95 M3 w/ 48k miles last year. If you’re interested in the items I had replaced on my car feel free to shoot me a message. I also know a good shop in the area in case you’d like a reference. I mention it bc we look to be local and I searched for a good long while to find a solid Indy shop to work on my car. I also kept mine as stock as possible, upgrading a few things here and there as preventative maintenance.

Congrats again. Car is gorgeous and the community here is very knowledgeable and a great resource for these older BMWs especially the e36.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe

auto ing

Quote Originally Posted by Tom44 View Post
    I bought a 95 M3 w/ 48k miles last year. If you’re interested in the items I had replaced on my car feel free to shoot me a message. I also know a good shop in the area in case you’d like a reference. I mention it bc we look to be local and I searched for a good long while to find a solid Indy shop to work on my car. I also kept mine as stock as possible, upgrading a few things here and there as preventative maintenance.

Congrats again. Car is gorgeous and the community here is very knowledgeable and a great resource for these older BMWs especially the e36.
    thank you, much appreciated. congrats on yours as well. i don't think I can PM yet as brand new member. I have always used AutoCouture in NJ and was very happy. Unfortunately it is a bit of a hike for me and I'm thinking of giving Automotive Ingenuity a try in Pine Island NY since they are in my backyard and are getting good reviews. I'd definitely like to know what preventative replacement work you did on the car.

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    while it may be nice to have unmolested low mile metal and low uv damage, all that rubber has still been exposed to the atmosphere for decades, and has exceeded its new part shelf life. given the value of your investment i personally would replace all the rubber brake lines, and clutch lines, all coolant lines including hvac, rebuild the calipers and purchase some gummiphledge to lubricate all door seals and exterior window seals. theres alot more parts but they will present themselves as you use the car.

every bushing in that car is old regardless of use and i would replace them all, however only the RTAB bushings are really in need of aggressive maintance. they seem fine untill you get the car a little crossed up and then your driving a noodle.

i personly think the dinan shock/spring combo is how the car should have come stock, and adding a larger front sway bar really sharpens up the car. but the OEM setup is just fine, the shocks just dont last all that long. and always replace the bump stops when changing oe style shocks.

also cycle the abs pump when bleeding brakes. you may want to investigate if you have a plastic waterpump. and replacing the radiator and expansion tank is cheap insurance.
    Last edited by scoobiedoo2029; 06-07-2022 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Congrats on the car man, you chose the correct color

One thing to keep in mind is that due to the generation this car is from, the suspension will tend to be softer than many modern cars. Sporty cars in particular have become much more stiffly sprung and dampened in the past 10 years especially. If you check out some period reviews of the M3 you'll see how much body movement these had even brand new. This is an iconic picture from first Car and Driver review in 95...look at that thing lol.

1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    Congrats on the car man, you chose the correct color

One thing to keep in mind is that due to the generation this car is from, the suspension will tend to be softer than many modern cars. Sporty cars in particular have become much more stiffly sprung and dampened in the past 10 years especially. If you check out some period reviews of the M3 you'll see how much body movement these had even brand new. This is an iconic picture from first Car and Driver review in 95...look at that thing lol.

That explains why my e36 is that much more comfortable to ride in than my e46 with a sports package and suspension

yes replace....

I saw your car on BAT

Im local too.......Purdys area

jrk@jrkchiropractic.com reach out via e

I have a few great techs for you to use too.

I picked up a 97 e36m3/4 in Oct for track days.......
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 06-08-2022 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Nice buy, and as someone stated previously good color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    thanks guys. i'm already down the rabbit hole with it. it's in the shop now getting new struts/shocks, bushings, mounts, etc. also a new pads and rotors. also likely a new AC blower (undisclosed unpleasant surprise) and a few dogs and cats. i think this will take it to 10/10 mechanical condition as it's already had a recent fuel pump, water pump, and cooling sys refresh. We shall see. Then i'll need to decide on whether to spend the money to respray the rear bumper and potentially fix the clear cut burn on rear haunch.... also potentially refinishing the wheels. In for a penny, in for a pound.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by CASCADE1 View Post
    thanks guys. i'm already down the rabbit hole with it. it's in the shop now getting new struts/shocks, bushings, mounts, etc. also a new pads and rotors. also likely a new AC blower (undisclosed unpleasant surprise) and a few dogs and cats. i think this will take it to 10/10 mechanical condition as it's already had a recent fuel pump, water pump, and cooling sys refresh. We shall see. Then i'll need to decide on whether to spend the money to respray the rear bumper and potentially fix the clear cut burn on rear haunch.... also potentially refinishing the wheels. In for a penny, in for a pound.
    What did you go with for suspension and bushings? Just stock shocks and factory rubber stuff?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    Yes, all OEM

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Quote Originally Posted by CASCADE1 View Post
    (undisclosed unpleasant surprise)
    There always seems to be one or two of those...lol
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...