Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who got your ABS Module repaired

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I wanted to tackle that heat shield today, but it’s way too hot outside! 95 degrees! Screw that.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Here’s a prototype I made for Jason to test the fit on his i6.
    The parts are screwed together so if changes are required they can be easily swapped, then the pieces are riveted together and the adhesive insulation gets applied.
    Thanks for sending me the pic Jason.

This one is very similar to the one I made for my 540.
    C01C532E-602D-4764-9E04-67F3F6D16640.jpg
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-17-2022 at 02:34 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    You do not need to code the replacement ABS module, if it is the same type part # as the original broken module on the car.

Also, see: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ing-ABS-module
    Thank you for the link.

Op found a rebuilt abs module in the junkyard car, can you believe it!
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    A heat shield would lower the temp and make them last longer……..right Jason???????
    Get it fitted and send me some pics.
    That would be a very fun project!
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    On later E39 540i models (2001-2003), the ABS module is located in well cleared locations with good air flow to cool it off a bit. So the heat shield thing is really un-necessary and may well be detrimental.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

For those of you who got your ABS Module repaired

This is exciting.

Later on, when I have more time, I'd like to dive into the one where the diagnostics line isn't working and make some great pictures for everyone, and see what else I can learn by having a disposable abs module. The bonus of having this as a disposable abs module is that it's fully repaired. So we get to see what that looks like, I can do different multimeter measurements, and etc.
    Last edited by E0339; 06-17-2022 at 05:14 PM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    On later E39 540i models (2001-2003), the ABS module is located in well cleared locations with good air flow to cool it off a bit. So the heat shield thing is really un-necessary and may well be detrimental.
    You have any documentation to back that up?

A0DB5EE7-4034-4449-943D-9C8B2CA6B77F.jpeg

972B9A7B-72D9-43A4-ACA3-0C7703E334A7.jpeg

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Lol, So… somehow, the V8’s exhaust manifold doesn’t put that much heat out, like the i6’s do??? What physics binary planet is this Chedster character out of?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryEsman View Post

This is exciting.

Later on, when I have more time, I'd like to dive into the one where the diagnostics line isn't working and make some great pictures for everyone, and see what else I can learn by having a disposable abs module. The bonus of having this as a disposable abs module is that it's fully repaired. So we get to see what that looks like, I can do different multimeter measurements, and etc.
    The troublesome bits are on the opposite side.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    The troublesome bits are on the opposite side.
    I know

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Sent mine out to Georgia...week later I plugged it back in...works fine a year later

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantClam View Post
    Sent mine out to Georgia...week later I plugged it back in...works fine a year later
    Thanks for the share!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantClam View Post
    What's in Georgia ?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    We have a 2000 528i we first replaced the sensors then sent our module off for repair through a ebay repair place in florida. It came back and didnt do anything. The company returned an email and asked for codes. P0500 didnt work for them they said we needed to talk the the unit get its codes and suggested a reader to do that. I got the reader and it fails to communicate with the reader. I ssent a reply to the tech. Question as i tried to communicate on my 97z3 and it failed to communicate as well. Do I need to plug into the round port that is by the abs unit? There work is warranteed so if we cant get it to work i can send it back. he did tell me what was wrong with the unit and that they replaced common parts that go bad anyway.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

For those of you who got your ABS Module repaired

Quote Originally Posted by 1933beer View Post
    We have a 2000 528i we first replaced the sensors then sent our module off for repair through a ebay repair place in florida. It came back and didnt do anything. The company returned an email and asked for codes. P0500 didnt work for them they said we needed to talk the the unit get its codes and suggested a reader to do that. I got the reader and it fails to communicate with the reader. I ssent a reply to the tech. Question as i tried to communicate on my 97z3 and it failed to communicate as well. Do I need to plug into the round port that is by the abs unit? There work is warranteed so if we cant get it to work i can send it back. he did tell me what was wrong with the unit and that they replaced common parts that go bad anyway.
    The TLDR to your question is yes, you have to use the 20 pin connector. Unless you do the below.

I would recommend following this video to send ABS data to your OBD-II connector so you can forget about the 20 pin connector entirely.

Explanation of this whole thing is below:

20pin.jpg

The highlighted (blue) cable is connected to the 20 pin connector. That's the round port. That highlighted cable goes to your ABS (and other things). The data from the highlighted cable is not sent to the OBD-II port. That's why you can't connect. What the video above explains is how to send the data from the highlighted cable to pin 17. Data from pin 17 is sent to the OBD-II connector as shown on the diagram. This is why you can scan engine codes at the moment.

You can verify this by scanning for engine codes with the scanner you have through the OBD-II connector. You should be able to do this. And after following the video, you should be able to scan ABS codes, too.
    Last edited by E0339; 08-13-2022 at 04:12 AM.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    I wish i hadnt already ordered the cable i would just have done that mode. My cable will be here sunday so i can wait. I just hope it gets me to the fix.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    It will certainly point you to the root cause of the problem.
    Scanning the ABS should have been the first step, before sending it for -- maybe non necessary ?-- repair.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    They did have to fix something the guy said. I had looked at other threads and since my son had already replaced the wheel sensors i didnt think anything was left. The car has 92k and in good shape otherwise.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 1933beer View Post
    They did have to fix something the guy said. I had looked at other threads and since my son had already replaced the wheel sensors i didnt think anything was left. The car has 92k and in good shape otherwise.
    I had the same thinking with repairing mine. If it ain't broken it sure will be soon.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    I got to read the codes today with the adaptor. It says 3 of the 4 wheel sensors are not working. Right rear is working. Yet we have no speedometer. It was working intermitently before we replaced them. My son replaced the sensors that were heap not bmw. What has been peoples luck with that type?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The left rear speed sensor is what gets the speedo back.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Got myself a collection

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    Bumping this one back up rather than starting a new thread...

Went the module masters route. Put the rebuilt unit in the car. Wiped out all the lights. Rolled the car a few feet out of the garage felt the abs pulsate through the brake pedal. Then all the lights came back on. Speedo and odo work now but no cruise control.

Only codes in the system are P0500 and P1624. 2 wheel speed sensors were replaced already

anyone have some insight into this? its a 2000 528iT. Supposedly for MY2000 P1624 can relate to a bad tstat? Is that accurate?

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    P0500 is a bad speed sensor, and P1624 is a pedal or tstat issue.
    Are these new error codes popping out after the ABS module repair ? They having nothing to do with the good or bad ABS.
    Do you have a BMW specific scanner -- such as INPA-- to interrogate the ABS module ??

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Ok. Update! (Before you continue reading, please take a look at the two posts above my comment here for questions that are being asked. I don't want this post to have people start missing the ones above)

Here's an overview of what happened:

- Sent my ABS Unit out to get repaired
    - Received it back working, but the diagnostics line was knocked out. Shorted.
    - Module Masters worked with me throughout the next month or two covering all expenses until I got a module that worked. We went through about 3 modules. We were just swapping modules. They sent me one out. I sent them back the one beforehand. Etc etc.
    - They let me talk to the tech for an hour, and all the communication was very transparent. And they let me keep my original module without any questions.

I installed the latest one in my car, and the car's back to normal. No lights. ABS works. Braking feel is stellar. The latest one has damaged weather stripping, so I'm going to ask if I can get one with weather stripping that matches the module I sent them originally, but either than that, this journey seems to have concluded.

Throughout this process, I learned:
    - Module Masters is a very, very professional company that takes care of their customers. I highly recommend working with them. To Sam Son's post: Don't hesitate to reach out to them and share what's going on, after you do your own diagnosis.
    - I learned how to use NCSExpert and how to code the new ABS Modules to my car
    - I learned how to re-calibrate the steering angle sensor

Detailed guides for coding the ABS Module and re-calibrating the steering angle sensor may be created from this.

Highly recommend working with Module Masters!
    Last edited by E0339; 10-06-2022 at 08:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast