Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who got your ABS Module repaired

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Question For those of you who got your ABS Module repaired

Hey all,

I have two questions for you today. I recently noticed that someone stopped being able to communicate with their ABS Module via INPA after it got repaired. The same thing happened to me, and I paid for the premiere module repair service via Module Masters. Why this is important to mention is I did not go to some shady eBay seller, but rather a professional company that specializes in these repairs. This means that their quality of work is higher, and they verified their repairs via their testing / simulation rig, and it passed all tests. But, alas, now I cannot communicate with my ABS Module via INPA. So, this leaves the question: Is this a side effect of getting your module repaired? Is this a blind spot companies do not know about, and thus cannot test for?

Let's see if we can't shed some light on these questions.

To be clear, this thread is not about looking for a solution because as far as I'm concerned, I have found it, and I will verify this through my conversation with Module Masters. This thread is simply to see if this is a side effect of getting your module repaired. Perhaps this is a blind spot the repair shops have, and just don't know about.

So for those of you who got your module repaired, after the repair, please share if you were still able to communicate with your module via INPA. Please share if you got yours repaired and you are able to connect, too.

And also, for those of you who can connect properly, when you try to connect to your module without bridging pin 7 & 8 together, what error message do you get?

Thank you!
    Last edited by E0339; 06-05-2022 at 10:27 PM.
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    I had mine repaired shortly after I got the car on the road. It needed a new engine. Anyway, I sent it to a local place, I forget the name offhand. They repaired it and I reinstalled it in the car and I can communicate with it just fine. It's been in service now for over three years.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Thank you for sharing!
    Play Your Game. Meaning to say, do what you want to do, in the way you want to do it.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    So, you could connect to the ABS module before the repair. But you cannot connect with it after repair. Yes ??
    If so, they screwed the repair. Period. Return it and ask them to fix it or ask for a refund.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

For those of you who got your ABS Module repaired

Yep. Yeah they're being really nice and professional about it. I'll be getting sent a shipping label to ship my module back and get this fixed. No extra charges which is nice. So absolutely zero hard feelings thus far. I'd still recommend them as the premier repair place.

I'd like to check out ACTronics work next time. They posted this video about their work and their entire repair is machine automated. Kinda cool. Makes me feel like there's a much higher quality job from this.
    Last edited by E0339; 06-06-2022 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Added link to video

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    It seems a few people had problems with module masters. I used a guy from ebay who has been repairing modules as a service longer than I've been alive that BimmerZeit recommended in his YouTube video and have not had any problems so far. Even came with a 3 year warranty.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I'm unclear if your module is working properly or not. If it works but just not able to communicate who cares?
    FWIW I've dealt with MM twice. Once for my own car which has been fine for over ten years now and one I sent in for a friend. MM sent the friend's module back no charge and at their expense to ship back saying the car needs a wheel speed sensor. They could have easily collected their three hundred bucks and left it for him to figure out his mistake.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    If it’s not communicating, wouldn’t it throw a trifecta? Or it is working with the rest of the car, but not communicating with inpa?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    If it’s not communicating, wouldn’t it throw a trifecta? Or it is working with the rest of the car, but not communicating with inpa?
    That's easy enough to check. The DME and/or cluster should throw a fault since it's going to want speed info from the DSC unit. M52TU/MS42 (the only one I've a list of fault codes handy right now) has codes 0x82 (Signal CAN ASC 1) and 0x85 (Signal CAN ASC 3).

The real question is whether or not there are other modules that OP can't communicate with. If there aren't then the thing to do is probably to bench test the DSC unit since it looks a lot easier to get at on the E39. Otherwise check for continuity between OBD2 pin 8 and pin 11 on the DSC harness. There's one splice in the driver's footwell. If there's continuity test/replace the DSC unit.

If there are other non-communicating modules check the splice.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by GZilla View Post
    It seems a few people had problems with module masters. I used a guy from ebay who has been repairing modules as a service longer than I've been alive that BimmerZeit recommended in his YouTube video and have not had any problems so far. Even came with a 3 year warranty.
    I hadn't heard others have had problems. What were the issues?

I'm glad yours works!

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I'm unclear if your module is working properly or not. If it works but just not able to communicate who cares?
    FWIW I've dealt with MM twice. Once for my own car which has been fine for over ten years now and one I sent in for a friend. MM sent the friend's module back no charge and at their expense to ship back saying the car needs a wheel speed sensor. They could have easily collected their three hundred bucks and left it for him to figure out his mistake.
    How wonderful of them! They've been wonderful to work with for me, too.

ABS Module works. Does not communicate with INPA.

Meaning: CAN communication works. All parts of the module are fixed, but something is up with whatever connects to pin 11 within the internals of the abs module. This is my guess, at least. One of the engineers at MM are going to be looking into it in a few days, once my module arrives

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    The latter

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

For those of you who got your ABS Module repaired

Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    That's easy enough to check. The DME and/or cluster should throw a fault since it's going to want speed info from the DSC unit. M52TU/MS42 (the only one I've a list of fault codes handy right now) has codes 0x82 (Signal CAN ASC 1) and 0x85 (Signal CAN ASC 3).

The real question is whether or not there are other modules that OP can't communicate with. If there aren't then the thing to do is probably to bench test the DSC unit since it looks a lot easier to get at on the E39. Otherwise check for continuity between OBD2 pin 8 and pin 11 on the DSC harness. There's one splice in the driver's footwell. If there's continuity test/replace the DSC unit.

If there are other non-communicating modules check the splice.
    The thread's not about troubleshooting, but inpa gives me an interference code when I load up the abs module. When I unplug the module everything works.

Nothing changed either than me getting the module repaired. Before I got it repaired inpa read everything ok. That small test was enough to give me a clue as to what might be happening. I asked MM to check internal wiring of the abs module to pin 11 and they're all for it. I'm just leaving additional troubleshooting in their hands because I'm thinking the issue was caused by them, and also within the internals of the abs module. Totally out of my hands.

A total aside: I'm going to try to win myself a copy of the abs module internal wiring diagram from them as a part of my conversation with them.
    Last edited by E0339; 06-08-2022 at 11:54 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Just curious:
    What was the original fault (which error code ?) that led you to send the ABS module for a rebuild, in the first place ?

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    Just curious:
    What was the original fault (which error code ?) that led you to send the ABS module for a rebuild, in the first place ?
    Here they are
    IMG_7964 translated.jpg

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Honestly I'd check the wiring. On the Mk60 E46 there's a ground wire that's got to be removed to unplug the DSC computer (I'm too lazy to look at the 540 right now). In addition to checking for continuity I'd also give the electrical connectors a good visual inspection. Are any of the pins on the DSC computer bent? On the harness side did pin 11 get pushed in or otherwise damaged?

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    So @GregoryEsman,
    Well well, you really did not have to send the ABS module for a rebuild. It just had a pressure sensor gone bad that needed replacement.

Error 114 indicates a bad pressure sensor in the ABS module. It is a part that can be easily replaced without removing the module from the car: unscrew the bad sensor, and screw in the new sensor part # 34511165467.

Error 105 simply indicates a bad brake light switch, and/or that the ABS has been disabled -- presumably because of the bad pressure sensor ?.

When I had this problem, I bought a used ABS module from Ebay/junkyard, and simply swapped out the pressure sensor. Costed me less than a $100...I still have that ABS but without pressure sensor, if you are interested.!!
    I also replaced the brake light switch under the dashboard, (Duralast part # RB-460).
    Last edited by Chedley; 06-08-2022 at 07:29 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Honestly I'd check the wiring. On the Mk60 E46 there's a ground wire that's got to be removed to unplug the DSC computer (I'm too lazy to look at the 540 right now). In addition to checking for continuity I'd also give the electrical connectors a good visual inspection. Are any of the pins on the DSC computer bent? On the harness side did pin 11 get pushed in or otherwise damaged?
    I'll update you when I get my module back from MM

So @GregoryEsman,
    Well well, you really did not have to send the ABS module for a rebuild. It just had a pressure sensor gone bad that needed replacement.

Error 114 indicates a bad pressure sensor in the ABS module. It is a part that can be easily replaced without removing the module from the car: unscrew the bad sensor, and screw in the new sensor part # 34511165467.

Error 105 simply indicates a bad brake light switch, and/or that the ABS has been disabled -- presumably because of the bad pressure sensor ?.

When I had this problem, I bought a used ABS module from Ebay/junkyard, and simply swapped out the pressure sensor. Costed me less than a $100...I still have that ABS but without pressure sensor, if you are interested.!!
    I also replaced the brake light switch under the dashboard, (Duralast part # RB-460).
    Nice move with the junk yard part! Man, I miss the junk yard. I've been staying home pretty much the entire pandemic. I would love to dig into some 540s and harvest some obscure parts from deep inside a transmission or an engine. Or, see if I can't start one up by using the parts from the multiple cars there, and make one working car.

I was thinking the same, but even though there was a chance it was just the pressure sensor, I still chose to get it rebuilt. With the gift of hindsight, I believe it was the right decision.

Here was my thinking behind my decision:

First and foremost, my car is 175k miles old. That's a lot of heat cycles, so even if the ABS Module was properly working, and it was just the brake pressure sensor acting up, it would be wise to do some preventative maintenance and get the internals refreshed and beefed up. And if it fixes the error, great.

Secondly, Module Master just sends ABS Modules back without doing any work on them if they don't need it

Thirdly, I did some diagnosis. I had the full trifecta going. My brake light worked properly (I assumed it wasn't supposed to, with the code I got, but I could be wrong). Also the brake light switch was being activated when I pressed the brake pedal. Verified through INPA. Soo that was a BS code. Additionally I put a multimeter to the brake pressure sensor, and it was working fine. I was getting voltage, and it was increasing linearly as I pressed the brake pedal. It just had a real hard time getting past 3V, when the max should be 5. So, I kind of assumed it worked fine because of these two tests. I learned that you can use an opened up staple to get in between the weather sealing and the connector, if you don't have one of those insulation piercing accessories for your multimeter. Then, just touch your multimeter lead to your staple, and there ya go. I was expecting it to not react at all to me pushing down the brake pedal, if it truly wasn't working. My ABS also wasn't pulsing under hard braking. Actually, there wasn't really any hard braking to begin with. I literally almost flew past a red light once because the damn thing wouldn't brake to save its life... And I was only going 40.

Fourthly, I wasn't about to pay hundreds for a new brake pressure sensor without being certain that's the problem. Might as well send it out to MM for repair. If they knock the problem out, I saved myself some money over what a pressure sensor would have cost... And I would have gotten my unit refreshed.

And, now that I have hindsight in the situation, after the repair, I'd say it was the right call:
    - All lights are out
    - My car brakes like a monster (I almost ran a stop sign, but that's because I was going 60 and only noticed the stop sign was what seemed like half a second before I hit it. The car stopped seemingly instantly)
    - ABS Pulses under hard braking on slippery surfaces. I found myself a dried up lake bed to test that theory in.

280177712_4781335601971045_1188178847092489123_n.jpg

So I would assume internals were damaged, the ABS did need a rebuild, and that the pressure sensor was working properly. Module Masters mentioned in the post-repair debrief that some wires were found broken, anyways.

I made this choice in a way where no matter what happens, I couldn't mess up and end up spending more money than I had to.
    Last edited by E0339; 06-08-2022 at 09:17 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Sent mine out to Georgia some airbag place.
    Got it back in a week, plug and play. That was 18 months ago and its fine..

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantSam View Post
    Sent mine out to Georgia some airbag place.
    Got it back in a week, plug and play. That was 18 months ago and its fine..
    Thanks for sharing!

My Cars
    07 CX-7
    Quote Originally Posted by GZilla View Post
    name of module repair guy or link to Bimmerzeit YT?

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    The engineer at MM got back to me. He said that the solid state component pin 11 is connected to is shorted.

The end result of the MM repair is this:

My original module: Repaired but diagnostics line got knocked out.

MM is sending me a repaired module to replace mine.

I asked to receive mine back, too.

So I am getting two modules back. Both working. One without a diagnostics line. As someone who loves to tinker and learn about internals of things... I'm pretty excited about it.

MM's customer service was top notch. They covered all additional shipping, new module and the engineer's time. I paid zero out of pocket past the original payment for the repair.

So who knows how to code a new module to your car?
    Last edited by E0339; 06-15-2022 at 09:10 PM.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    You do not need to code the replacement ABS module, if it is the same type part # as the original broken module on the car.

Also, see: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ing-ABS-module
    Last edited by Chedley; 06-17-2022 at 05:09 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    You do not need to code the replacement ABS module, if it is the same type part # as the original broken module on the car.

Also, see: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ing-ABS-module
    Where did you hear that ?

I had my abs module replaced because the original , according to BBA , was not serviceable .
    I had another old module that I was able to get from my local indy shop , but they had to code that module to my car .
    The module needs to read off the car's vin and options . A 528i is different from an optioned 540i .
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 06-17-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    A heat shield would lower the temp and make them last longer……..right Jason???????
    Get it fitted and send me some pics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast