Thread: Purchasing a 99 m3

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe

Purchasing a 99 m3

Since I was 15 I’ve been riding around in my dads 1999 m3 with him, occasionally driving it when he’d allow me to abuse his clutch when I first started learning. Now after 230k miles and him moving to another country he’s selling it to me, however for a fair price. I am wondering what the current market value is going for these? I’ve seen a lot posting for $15,000+ With 100-150k miles since 2020. Has original wheels, never been wrecked, one minor dent the size of a golf ball and a very clean dove white interior with Vader seats in good condition. He takes the car to his friends shop twice a year as he’s too busy with work to do the maintenance himself and has kept the car in pretty good shape even with the high mileage.

Once I buy the m3 from my dad in the next month or so I’ll be posting my progress with it as I hope to make this a car my nonexistent kids can drive in the future. I’ll be trying to do most of the stuff myself as well as keeping it as stock as I can (will try to rebuild engine and transmission when the time comes before I swap later on).

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    $7500

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe
    That sounds reasonable, I assumed $8-9k

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I'd class it like this.

Under 50K is a museum car. You can't afford to actually drive it. $40K+

Under 100K depends on the owner.30K+

100-150K good driver, depends on the owner. It's probably had several, and you are buying all of them. $15-30K

over 200K? have deep pockets for buying a 20+ year old, high mileage, German sports coupe, if you don't have the tools and skill set to do the work yourself. It should have had everything underneath changed at least twice by now. No more than $10K.

Since this was your dad's car, you'd know better than almost anyone how it was maintained.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    It's your dad, he should give you the car...
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    That is what I was thinking, but not all dads can afford to give away $7500 and not all dads who could afford to are generous enough to give it away.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    That is what I was thinking, but not all dads can afford to give away $7500 and not all dads who could afford to are generous enough to give it away.
    Dad is likely trying to recover the cost of the clutch replacement.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    I'd class it like this.

100-150K good driver, depends on the owner. It's probably had several, and you are buying all of them. $15-30K

over 200K? have deep pockets for buying a 20+ year old, high mileage, German sports coupe, if you don't have the tools and skill set to do the work yourself. It should have had everything underneath changed at least twice by now. No more than $10K.

Since this was your dad's car, you'd know better than almost anyone how it was maintained.
    Agreed on most of this. I do think even at 200k+ cars will plateau in value with good maintenance AND good cosmetic condition.

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    I'd class it like this.

I have an alright grasp as a mechanic and pretty decent knowledge on interiors. I know it’s going to be a costly project car

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gene V View Post
    It's your dad, he should give you the car...
    I wish 😂

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerzavy View Post
    I have an alright grasp as a mechanic and pretty decent knowledge on interiors. I know it’s going to be a costly project car
    Why? Unless it has some horrendous problems, this should be an amazingly reasonable project car. If it's been visiting a shop twice a year, it shouldn't have any major issues.

I have 260k, have been daily driving it for 12 years, and just did a track day at COTA on Saturday. Car ran without a hiccup (it did get toasty and had to take some cooldown laps, but with 110+ ambient temps I think that's to be expected. And it cooled down quickly when I stopped pushing).

These cars are tanks if they're not neglected too badly in the wrong ways.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe
    Sorry for the delay, finally got the car a few days ago. Already changed the stereo, had some issues adjusting volume.
    Ordered new Harman Kardon stereo system, glass fog lights, getting new tint, and gotta pick up some different lights my dad bought for the car a year ago and took off due to being too bright.

Need to get new struts and it’s having an issue with the coolant being low on after sitting over night. Once I start it the light goes away in 10-30 seconds then it is full after I check.. going to do an overhaul for the cooling system but the car is wonderful! Every time I get in it and start driving I’m genuinely smiling and wishing my drives for work were further.

It does have the driver door panel coming unglued from the plastic pieces and the leather coming up. I’ve removed the plastic and c clamped the fiber glass to the metal for now.. gotta wait till my work assignment for the 2 weeks is done and then repair a part of the fiberglass and leather that cracked due to my dad neglecting it. Going to attempt repairing the whole panel as I’ve watched a few videos specifically for e36’s but also watched other panel repairs for different cars to get a better grasp.

Besides that I need to check the zke module as my windows and sunroof aren’t coming working.
    The interior light switch for the car lights have a short and sparked on me yesterday so I just unplugged it till I can get in and figure out where it’s shorting from.

Overall the leather inside is still in great condition but still want to get it professionally cleaned and protected/fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll definitely start taking photos and keeping a journal on everything I’m doing to this car to try to restore it to an immaculate daily driver.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Lets see those pictures! I love hearing about posters high mile cars on here. Theres something really special about keeping a 200k+ vehicle running smooth.

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe
    I’ll get some photos of the car in the morning! Gotta figure out how to post photos on here 🤔 cooling system kit and coil over package has been ordered. Getting new bushings for everything that needs to be replaced! Was having an issue with the tail light running light stopping completely yesterday. Changed the bulb and checked my fuses and still nothing. Bought a headlight switch to see if that’s the culprit 🤔

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I'd pull the tail light and check the contacts for the bulb holder and the base. I was having a tail light out warning and after I cleaned the electrical plug and the bulb holder, and bulbs it went away... I really doubt it's the switch.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe
    I’ll do that today, thank you! I checked the holder and got it cleaned but didn’t check the taillight connectors.

My Cars
    1999 m3 coupe
    https://imgur.com/a/PAQe6q6

The interior is pretty clean, I want to take it to get cleaned up and patched up
    Last edited by Zerzavy; 07-27-2022 at 10:25 AM.