Thread: DISplus PC change

My Cars
    Hatz TL 38

DISplus PC change

Hey people,

I'm just an computer guy, doing a favor to a friend... So I'm not very comfortable with DISplus and BMW stuff, but I know a lot about computers.

The PC in the DISplus was broken, so someone changed it by another, now nothing is as it should be and I got a phone call

I can boot with the green floppy, further the system is reading the basic CD. But the System doesn't accept the harddisk. I tried a few old ones, but I ended with this error:

Modify base system

Initializing harddisk for Unix .....

4 1 98879 98879 TYPE 131 Active
    setting up file systems

Could not initialize Harddisk !!!
    system halted

Please tell me, what kind of hd has it to be and have I to setup some partitions?

regards

tux

My Cars
    Hatz TL 38
    Hey,

The problem is the harddisk driver of the sco Unix. My next step is to buy exact the same motherboard which was originally in the DisPlus. I'm waiting for a package and I will post the results of my work!

regards
    Tux

My Cars
    Hatz TL 38
    Hi,

I have the same Mainboard as the original bmw system, but the error is the same... I don't have any further ideas...

Regards
    Tux

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    What harddisk are you using? DIS is based on an old version of SCO OpenServer UNIX and it does not support all 'modern' PATA harddisk controllers. I'm not familiar with the DISplus system but the DISplus documentation mentions a 13.6 GB harddisk. Do you still have the original harddisk or know the make and model?

Its sibling - the Group Tester One - came with a Toshiba MK2018GAS (20GB) harddisk. If the DISplus system was manufactured by Fujitsu-Siemens like the GT1, it may have a Toshiba harddisk as well.

But it's not just a question of getting an older disk. The Base System installer expects a specific harddisk size. Put a 40 GB harddisk in the Group Tester One and it will refuse to install DIS. This size restriction can be worked around but it's easiest to start with the right harddisk.

The DIS installer of the Group Tester One is also very picky about the PATA configuration: The harddisk must be primary master and the DVD secondary master. Make one slave and the system will not work. I'm not saying the DISplus configuration is the same, but it's worth paying attention to.

In fact the whole operating system is very picky about the hardware. That is because the Base System installer is not an operating system installer in the traditional way. It does not perform hardware detection and configuration. The Base System installer is basically an image of a working system that you clone on identical hardware (or at least very similar).

My Cars
    Hatz TL 38
    Hey revtor,

I'm using a 40 GB disk. My information was, that this is the original one. It is possible, that I was wrong informed.

I will try it with a smaller one and maybe I will buy a thoshiba like in the GT one.

Thanks and regards
    Tux