Thread: Possible charge pipe failure

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Sedan

Possible charge pipe failure

So long time lurker and first time poster here so excuse mistakes. I have my 2008 335i sedan, full bolt on stage 2. I was doing a couple pulls yesterday since I havnt been able to drive it for a while now because of vacation and a fuel pump issue. While doing said pulls on my way home, I felt the car like drop all boost. It felt like someone hit the brakes. I checked temps and pressure and everything seemed fine. I tried again just out of a corner, and same loss of power. This time I got the engine malfunction reduced power error. I checked codes when I got home, and I had a couple misfires and a P142E code. I checked it and it said that it was the HPFP. But I had just gotten this changed. I was also looking and some people were saying charge pipe crack or popped off. Not really sure how I would go about checking this to be honest, I havnt messed with my charge pipes often. Looking for insight and possible fixes if it is the charge pipe.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

You would be getting a "boost" or "Low charge" code if there was an issue with the charge pipe. At this point, the only way to know if it's the HPFP is to look at live data to see how much pressure it is building. As you said that it was just replaced, do you know the brand? Cheap parts tend to not last long on a BMW FYI.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    On my Saab Aero, fuel cutoff would feel like I hit a brick wall. Can you monitor fuel pressure when driving?