Thread: PDM thread

My Cars
    1995 M3

PDM thread

Looking for those with experience with various PDM's, other than the AiM PDM line.

Hardware Electronics seems to have some reasonably prices ones with good capability (they have several US distributors):
    https://www.hardwire-electronics.co.uk/shop

Moristech makes one in the same ball park:
    http://www.rywire.com/product-p/moristech-p14.htm

MicroPDM seems to have a good following, but is pretty limited:
    https://www.micropdm.com/

Any others, at $1000 or less ish?

I'd like at least 8 output channels, and the ability for a few of the outputs to source 20A average and 60A or so surge.
    CAN (in and out) would be really nice. (All the above don't have a CAN interface)

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Look at the functionality available besides just price and amperage. I'm a big fan of the ECUMaster PMU because of the software/firmware features. It has extensive logic builders and CAN input and output functionality. Then I also have an AEM PDU that is controlled by the ECUMaster. Some examples of things that I do with the configuration:
    -easy config of wipers (with parking and delay) and blinkers
    -starter button disables when the engine is over cranking RPM
    -fuel pumps shut off if the engine quits
    -transfer pump only runs when the surge tank is low
    -main pump speed control based on engine load (barely need the FPR bypass despite the pump setup capable of 1100lph)
    -fan speed based on coolant temp
    -activate AEM PDU channels
    -and more...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Understood! I can get away with fairly simple, although I do want CAN input from an AiM logger, and control a few simple things with RPM and brake pressure.
    The ECUMaster looks nice, $1400 a little more than I'd like to spend, but I may end up there.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I’ve done some research in a complete ECU, PDM, data logger, all wiring solution… now for a Miata. I’d recommend calling Haltech and just see what they have to say. Haltech is probably the most well supported ECU, PDM, and digital dash out there these days. The key is the harness, but I’m sure Haltech would be able to direct you to Rywire or someone like that.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks, after many various unsuccessful fixes, AiM finally came through and my PDM08 is stable.

My Cars
    German ones
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Thanks, after many various unsuccessful fixes, AiM finally came through and my PDM08 is stable.
    What was the issue?
    Dave
    '18 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
    '15 Pure White VW Touareg TDI
    ///'95 Avus M3 S54B32 Race car -- 2022 ProAutoSports PS1 Champion
    ///'72 Chamonix 2002 (Restoration project)

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Turns out, there are a host of firmware incompatibilities across the board. AiM/Cameron spent a few hours testing various things, and in the end swapped out the GPS09 to a GPS08, and all flakiness problems resolved.

Everything is stable with a short list of minor bugs that I've found work arounds, like PSI is sometimes labeled PSI but is actually calculated in the background as Bar, so one has to add a fudge factor in the math equations. Etc.

My Cars
    No racecars...
    In general, AIM seems to time and time again be very happy to use their customers as beta testers. I was really excited about the AIM PDM08 but ultimately when it kept getting delayed during Covid, bit the bullet and went Motec and now that I am part of the AIM PDM groups and see the weekly reports - I am feeling fortunate that I skipped these teething pains. Some seem trivial, some very much not - "I updated this firmware and now nothing works - I went back and managed to undo it". In my opinion, the Motec PDM is actually an area where their product is less premium priced than most of their offerings over competitors and I appreciate the reliability.

-Mark

My Cars
    1995 M3
    It's been a journey. Support from Matt at trailbrake.com has been simply fantastic, he did not give up and even spent an hour on the phone with me trying various things before he hooked me up with Cameron at AiM down in VA.

The Motec stuff is awesome, but still 2x or more the cost of equivalent AiM capabilities, bugs aside. And having to add that caveat is the pain.

When I was having serious problems with the PDM, one of my friends reminded me; "AiM software is running your car". LOL. Software is not their strong suit.

My Cars
    No racecars...
    Matt is A+... if I was going to be on an AIM PDM adventure, I'd want him to b my copilot for sure.

Your friend is bang on. The hardware isn't bad but the software is a real adventure.

Glad to hear it's coming together though.

-Mark

My Cars
    E30 M3 Touring Car #10
    Been using a MoTeC PDM15 for about 10 years now, works flawlessly.
    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion, 2011 and 2013 SCCA National Championship Runoffs 3rd Place, STU, 2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year, 2012 SCCA Northeast Division STU Champion, 2015 SCCA Runoffs Pole Position Daytona/STU

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Motec makes great stuff.

FYI, Link just came out with a PDM.
    https://linkecu.com/products/razor-pdm/