Thread: E39 interior plastic parts repaint

My Cars
    530d

E39 interior plastic parts repaint

Hi
    I have done some research, but not quite sure whether my direction is correct.
    I need to restore some interior plastic parts. Originally all plastic inside car is covered with very thin matte look finish layer. Looks some chemical/paint.

I need to rub it off and repaint it. But it should really be very thin, nice matte look. Regular automotive paint is too thick. No good here.

What are your recommendations?

BTW - some products what I found could be suitable:
    SEM 49133 black ultra matte
    Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer matte

I adde pics also from parts I need to repaint.
    20220528_093557.jpg

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    SEM does make very good paint, make sure you coat everything with their adhesive promoter spray that they make. It will help make the paint stick on much better. I would use their satin black paint, rather than the flat black. Another trick that helps atomize the spray paint much finer, before you paint, get a bowl that will let you submerge the spray can, at least up to the middle of the can in warm to hot water. Pull it out right before you shoot. Keep it in the hot water for at least five to eight mins before you paint, it will shoot out much finer.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    I love, love, love Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer. It will literally make external black plastic trim and grills look like new. I feel like if more people knew about that stuff people would stop buying the black plastic dressing crap they sell at parts stores. I know because I bought brand new kidney grills for my e30, and treated the side grills and air dam with the resurfacer. You could not tell the difference between the side grills and kidney grills. It's not paint, it somehow reflows the plastic and is a permanent solution that provides UV protection, unlike the black plastic 'dressings' that you get at the parts store.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Agree SEM products work really well. Used it to turn tan parts to black when doing the interior swap a few years back.

My Cars
    530d
    Thank you for replays. These help a lot.
    I came up one more important thing to finally decide about SEM product.
    Original interior BMW parts actually does not look plain, deep black color. They look more matte black or anthracite or graphite. Definitely they do not look just plain black.
    So,guys, who have used SEM - is the final result plain black or more very-very dark grey?

I added one example - this does not look plain black. Thin layer on plastic looks more very very dark gray. Or is it matte black?!

E39 M5 steering wheel buttons.jpg