Thread: Convertible 325i semi stock suspension

My Cars
    1987 325i Convertible

Convertible 325i semi stock suspension

Hello- new to the forum and new to E30’s in general. I just picked up a nice (driver quality) 87 325i convertible for a fun family ride. The previous owner lowered it (he said 1.7”) which is a bit low for me with the roads around here, but with my wife and two kids it bottoms out everywhere. I need to return it to stock or close to stock height.

I’ve seen lots of threads and vendors discuss and sell sport suspension parts, most lowering the car over an inch. I’d like a quality “sporty” feel but go back to or maybe up to 1/2” lower than stock.

What are my options? Thanks!

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    If it was me, I'd bring it back to stock suspension. A convertible rides rough enough with it's stock suspension as it does not have a top structure to support it. Also why lower a convertible, the car sits low as it is with it's 14" tires. While it is sporty to drive, it is not a "sports car".

My Cars
    1987 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    If it was me, I'd bring it back to stock suspension. A convertible rides rough enough with it's stock suspension as it does not have a top structure to support it. Also why lower a convertible, the car sits low as it is with it's 14" tires. While it is sporty to drive, it is not a "sports car".

Agreed- which is why I want to raise it back up. Do you know of a source for stock springs/shocks? Most everything I'm finding on the regular sites is sport/lowering.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealetm View Post
    Agreed- which is why I want to raise it back up. Do you know of a source for stock springs/shocks? Most everything I'm finding on the regular sites is sport/lowering.
    Look up the part number on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?product=P&archive=1

Then search for that part number.

Also check Rockauto.

My Cars
    1987 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by aaverhulst View Post
    Look up the part number on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?product=P&archive=1

Then search for that part number.

Also check Rockauto.
    Thank you- that part number lookup page provided to be very helpful. I have found the stock springs on ECS and have ordered them. I am surprised that the only "stock height" springs available are through BMW and not a third party.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealetm View Post
    Thank you- that part number lookup page provided to be very helpful. I have found the stock springs on ECS and have ordered them. I am surprised that the only "stock height" springs available are through BMW and not a third party.

they might be an h&r rebranded spring. h&r produced the stock springs for bmw originally. there used to be a part number cross reference catalog but i haven't seen it online in years.

My Cars
    1987 325i Convertible
    Pardon the hijack- I've got the same year and model that has been lowered, not sure how much, but I need to replace the shocks/struts. How do I know which shocks/struts to replace with without replacing the springs too? I kind of like where it sits right now even though it's a little lower. Thanks-

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by randomrobot View Post
    Pardon the hijack- I've got the same year and model that has been lowered, not sure how much, but I need to replace the shocks/struts. How do I know which shocks/struts to replace with without replacing the springs too? I kind of like where it sits right now even though it's a little lower. Thanks-
    Typically look for shocks labelled as "sport" as these are usually for lowered vehicles. What color are the existing shocks/struts? Have you looked to see if you can find a brand label on them?
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1987 325i Convertible
    Finally got around to cleaning off the shocks/struts enough to get a read on them. I've already ordered a pair of the adjustable yellow Koni strut inserts for the front, while they were still on sale. Hoping they match up with the springs ok. Forgive me if I mix up my terminology but front springs are Eibach 78151, not sure of current struts, and rear are Eibach 64998 on Road Ryder Gas Supreme shocks. I couldn't find much info on any of these. Anyone know if the KONIs will fit just fine with these springs, if these are quality springs, or if I should be looking to replace them as well. I've got a couple other projects to work on first but wanted to start researching this some as well. TIA.