Thread: Automatic Top Reset: tonneau cover won't latch.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Vert

Automatic Top Reset: tonneau cover won't latch.

Hey guys, yeah, it's another thread about automatic top issues.

I made some serious progress with mine, but I've hit a wall. I found several threads where people describe my situation, but no solutions.

I can disengage the motors and manually put down the top without any issues. I'm able to reengage to motors fine. The problem starts when I try to go through the reset procedure: hold top button, key to accessory position, continue holding button for 10 seconds.

Instead of the tonneau cover getting locked down, I can hear a clicking behind the glovebox (I assume relays in the zke module?) And nothing else moves.

If I have the windows up, they will move down inch by inch sync with the clicking, and then once they are all the way down, the clicking continues but the cover still does not get pulled down.

It seems like the process is stuck in a loop of putting the windows down a bit, and then never gets to the step of latching down the cover.

Any ideas of what I can check? Possibly a microswitch is stuck? Bad module? Is this worth just taking to bmw to have them read diagnostic codes?

I greatly appreciate any help!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Vert
    I got this working, so I wanted to share in case someone stumbles across this later.

I tried following some other advice I found and attempted the reset procedure with the top already up instead of down. No movement.

I checked the fuse in the trunk, and it looked pretty corroded so I went ahead and swapped it with a fresh one.

Then, with the top still up, I held the close button (up) and turned the key to the accessory position. The tonneau cover pull closed!

I was then able to hold the open button (down) and the top fully retracted as normal.

Huge relief everything is functioning again! Now I just have to replace those worn elastic straps...