eBMWParts

Thread: Help! Rear coilover knocking sound..

My Cars
    E36 323i

Help! Rear coilover knocking sound..

Hello

I have recently installed maxpeedingrods on my e36 sedan. Ever since when I go over a bump there is a loud knock from the rear, mainly from the passenger side.

When installing I had the shock wound almost all the way out and had to jack the knuckle up quite a lot to get the bolt hole to line up with the shock, this compressed the spring quite a lot.

Have I done something wrong? could my spring be binding and causing a clunk since its so compressed? could my shock be bottoming out because it was found so far out?

Thanks!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

Help! Rear coilover knocking sound..

The rear springs should have come with adjustable spring supports to allow height to be adjusted. If you didn’t use them, and just put the springs in, your ride height will likely be too low. And you would also be turning down the bottom shock mount as much as possible to compensate for that.

Or, if you installed the springs with the adjusters, but had them turned all the way up (highest ride height) that would make the spring+adjuster length very long, and could cause the situation you describe where you ended up compressing the springs a lot when jacking the knuckle to attach the lower shock mount.

So, you adjust the ride height using the adjustable spring supports, and then adjust the length of the rear shocks to be properly positioned for the suspension stroke. If you don’t adjust the shock length properly, so at ride height the damper stroke is wrong, you won’t have enough stroke and could bottom out.

Adjusting coilovers on divorced spring rear suspensions is a little more complex. Check out this video:

https://youtu.be/VarA-f7Vjn4

-rb
    Last edited by RBNetEngr; 05-23-2022 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    E36 323i
    Hey thanks for your reply.

Issue ended up being that I installed them with the hand brake pulled up.

Ive installed them again now while the hand brake was released and its all good.

Cheers